www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs

Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs Discussions area for Audi Q7 and Q5 TDI (2009+ in Canada & the US) as well as others with the V6 TDI such as the A6, A7 and A8 sedans.

Old May 22nd, 2018, 07:25   #46
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2018 to end of April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythdoc View Post
Well, if there was no warranty, I’d be right there with you on the ECU tune. As it is, I have a warranty through 2024, that I don’t want to imperil.

Well I also bought the Flashzilla tool with my tune so I can revert back to stock if I need to take the car back for anything other than an oil change. I do understand they can tell, but I also think it isn't too likely that they will check. Yes I too have an extended warranty and if or when I get the Phase 2
there will be an extension.
Old June 7th, 2018, 17:46   #47
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Update: I turned the Chipwerke module up another notch and love the extra power. Too soon to report on fuel efficiency. Still problem free.

2015 Golf TDI SE, Lighting Package, 16K miles
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2018, 14:44   #48
QCTorqueAddict

Just bought a Chipwerke module. Not installed yet. Are you using B-1 setting like the instructions or did you change something?
QCTorqueAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2018, 06:38   #49
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Default Chipwerke Piggyback Tuner: 3.0 Dieselgate Solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCTorqueAddict View Post
Just bought a Chipwerke module. Not installed yet. Are you using B-1 setting like the instructions or did you change something?

I recently turned it up to D-2. Works very well. Lots of turbo boost available when running lower rpms on a fully warm engine.

Old July 20th, 2018, 14:06   #50
QCTorqueAddict

Thanks. I'll try that.
Old July 25th, 2018, 03:50   #51
QCTorqueAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythdoc View Post
I recently turned it up to D-2. Works very well. Lots of turbo boost available when running lower rpms on a fully warm engine.
Tried it on D-2. There was a loud "diesel clatter" around 2000 RPM but the acceleration was great. I switched to B-1 and the clatter is gone. Will try it a few days.
Old July 25th, 2018, 05:18   #52
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Tried it on D-2. There was a loud "diesel clatter" around 2000 RPM but the acceleration was great. I switched to B-1 and the clatter is gone. Will try it a few days.

Yep. There is some clatter on mine, I think it is maybe closer to 1800, but I like it, lol. Let us know your other findings, including fuel efficiency.

Old July 25th, 2018, 12:28   #53
mike
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Q 34, ALH 49/45/43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Pilot View Post
Well I also bought the Flashzilla tool with my tune so I can revert back to stock if I need to take the car back for anything other than an oil change. I do understand they can tell, but I also think it isn't too likely that they will check. Yes I too have an extended warranty and if or when I get the Phase 2
there will be an extension.
It is possible to restore the old tune with the higher mpg's then!
Sounds like the way to go if you haven't been fixed yet.

Anyone actually restored the old tune this way?
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2018, 15:11   #54
QCTorqueAddict

Still using Chipwerke (on B-1 setting) on my Q5.

I had the dieselgate fix about 3 weeks before I installed the Chipwerke but I've been travelling (air) in this period. In "driving days", we could say both changes were done almost at the same time.

I compared my fillups for August and September 2017 and 2018 as I felt they were comparable driving habits (road trips during August vacations and normal commuting in September).

Since installing the Chipwerke, I noticed fuel consumption was lower as indicated on trip computer but distance between fillups didn't seem really different. So I looked at my Fuelly data.

Average fuel consumption for the whole 2 months didn't change (1% difference).
Average distance between fillups didn't change (1.3% difference)
Difference between trip computer fuel consumption and calculated is way more optimistic. 6.2% optimistic in 2017; 9.7% optimistic in 2018 (with Chipwerke). I'd say it makes sense since the higher fuel pressure would fool the computer by injecting more fuel than expected.

We could say:
a) the Chipwerke didn't change fuel consumption or,
b) it "cancelled" the announced increase after the fix (which is not so bad after all).

For power, I prefer the "before" (before both the fix and the Chipwerke) than "after" but it is a good compromise.
Old October 10th, 2018, 15:31   #55
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Still using Chipwerke (on B-1 setting) on my Q5.

I had the dieselgate fix about 3 weeks before I installed the Chipwerke but I've been travelling (air) in this period. In "driving days", we could say both changes were done almost at the same time.

I compared my fillups for August and September 2017 and 2018 as I felt they were comparable driving habits (road trips during August vacations and normal commuting in September).

Since installing the Chipwerke, I noticed fuel consumption was lower as indicated on trip computer but distance between fillups didn't seem really different. So I looked at my Fuelly data.

Average fuel consumption for the whole 2 months didn't change (1% difference).
Average distance between fillups didn't change (1.3% difference)
Difference between trip computer fuel consumption and calculated is way more optimistic. 6.2% optimistic in 2017; 9.7% optimistic in 2018 (with Chipwerke). I'd say it makes sense since the higher fuel pressure would fool the computer by injecting more fuel than expected.

We could say:
a) the Chipwerke didn't change fuel consumption or,
b) it "cancelled" the announced increase after the fix (which is not so bad after all).

For power, I prefer the "before" (before both the fix and the Chipwerke) than "after" but it is a good compromise.

Good report. Fuel economy decreases of 5-10% have been reported from the fix alone so a “net even” is not bad.

I am still at setting D-2. Fuel efficiency has gone down but how much is unclear as my wife has been doing the bulk of the driving recently and she is much more brake happy than I, lol. Power is excellent. Still no check engine lights or part failures to report.

Old October 15th, 2018, 19:35   #56
ECFG

Fuel Economy: 25.0 combined for the Audi; 21.67 combined for 5900 lbs of Vanagon

Mythdoc....
Based on your experience, plus the others who have chimed in, I think I'll take the plunge and try the Chipwerke. My Audi Q7 TDI has been plagued with CEL / Glow Plug light, etc since the software was "fixed" in late 2017, just before I purchased the vehicle. I love the car, and hope the Chipwerke makes a difference. I will report back once I get it installed and a tank or two of fuel mileage. Thanks to all who have shared their experiences.
ECFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:02   #57
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECFG View Post
Mythdoc....
Based on your experience, plus the others who have chimed in, I think I'll take the plunge and try the Chipwerke. My Audi Q7 TDI has been plagued with CEL / Glow Plug light, etc since the software was "fixed" in late 2017, just before I purchased the vehicle. I love the car, and hope the Chipwerke makes a difference. I will report back once I get it installed and a tank or two of fuel mileage. Thanks to all who have shared their experiences.

I’ll be very interested to learn how it does in a Q7. Make sure they send you a diesel module. They shipped a gasser to me first time.