60,000 mile service

yippinyahoo

TDI
2001 Jetta Black Auto
new member here, first post...this is a good site, lots of information.

i've been reading for a few days, did a search, and haven't been able to find any info on how much i should expect to pay for the 60,000 mile serivce. i know the timing belt and tensioner need to be changed - sounds expensive...

any help is appreciated - thanks!

yippinyahoo

TDI
2001 Jetta Black Auto
yeah, thanks, i'm thinking about going to the dealer for the service.

something i noticed after reading several threads on this subject: my 2001 Jetta has the "old" timing belt, ie. the "40k mile" belt, but my manual says i need to change it at 60k miles, not 40k... jeez, i feel like i'm playing with fire every time i start the thing up...

regardless, i'm getting it changed pronto, and wonder if anyone can recommend someone in central PA to take it to (doesn't have to be a dealer - frankly, i don't trust mine).

thanks!

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
You're not required to go to a dealer for service. If you know a good independent mechanic, take the manual along so they can see what needs to be done. Then save parts receipts and log the work in the manual. This route will cost less.

yippinyahoo

TDI
2001 Jetta Black Auto
i assume the independent shop can get genuine VW parts, right? or do you think i should order them myself and just have them do the installation (cheaper?)?

i want to get the "new" timing belt and tensioner, the ones that are good for 100k, since i plan to run my tdi forever...where are the best deals to be had?

apologize for all the questions, but i want it done right when i drop that kind of dough...

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
Independent shops can get genuine VW parts SOme will some are dealer only parts that can be gotten from IMPEX or Diesel Geek. Some shop will not let you bring your own part as this is part of their profit. Check around. My VW dealer will let me bring my own parts but labor is 65$ an hour. while Independent shops can be as cheap as 20$ an hour.

eetsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, galaxy blue
My dealer quoted $680 for my 2002. I ordered my parts from impex. Everything including a waterpump, VW antifreeze and shipping was about $260. All were VW original parts. The belts I beleive were made by Gates but were labeled with the VW/Audi/Seat logos and part numbers. FYI impex tb kit does not include the vacuum pump seal, order it seperatly for $1.97.

You can try Harvieux too. His prices seem really good.

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS 5spd blk/blk
If you use an independent shop, make SURE that they have the special tools needed. You can take a gamble with mark-and-pray, but I wouldn't advise it, especially with a mechanic who isn't familiar with the engine.

Also, a vag-com will likely be necessary to set the timing after the change.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
yippinyahoo said:

regardless, i'm getting it changed pronto, and wonder if anyone can recommend someone in central PA to take it to (doesn't have to be a dealer - frankly, i don't trust mine).
Well, if you don't mind puttering over to central OH, my tools await.

truav8r

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL TDI Silver Auto
yippinyahoo - I'm in central PA too, Lewisburg to be exact. Where are you?? You can IM me if you don't want to broadcast your location.
- sean

yippinyahoo

TDI
2001 Jetta Black Auto
hey that's great MOGolf - i really appreciate the offer. i have family in mansfield and columbus, but for the moment i think i'm going to go with this independent VW mechanic i found here in the area and see what kind of work he does...he quoted $500 incl parts.

Ron Lee

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005.5, Black w/ Pure Beige
FWIW, I bought the kit from IMPEX on 8/16 and it did include the vacuum pump seal as well as the cam seal. Also 3 non-stretch injection pump bolts and 4 motor mount bolts along with tensioner, serpentine and timing belts. Car54 did the change today. Recommended.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
[ QUOTE ]
yippinyahoo said:
hey that's great MOGolf - i really appreciate the offer. i have family in mansfield and columbus, but for the moment i think i'm going to go with this independent VW mechanic i found here in the area and see what kind of work he does...he quoted $500 incl parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just make sure that they do include all required parts, and know the proper procedure. Ask questions like "What parts are included?" "How many A4 TDIs have they done?" "How do you verify that the timing is proper after the belt is replaced?"

One member was quoted by an independent shop and then probed deeper. Took them the procedure from the Articles and let them look it over. After that the shop turned them down.

What I'm advising is that you verify that they can actually do the job (many can, and many can't) and won't be experimenting on your car. The offer still stands if they fall into the "can't" category.

Blackknight

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Mogolf, I just bought a 99 Jetta TDI with 60k miles on it.

I'm not too sure about the maintenance history, but I would like to fix anything that needs to be done on it.

Maybe I can stop by if you're willing to look at it. Or if anybody knows a good place to take it that's close to Jackson or Lansing, MI, that would be great.

LWB053

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jetta, Dk Green
yippinyahoo said:
[ QUOTE ]
he quoted $500 incl parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found a good little independent Euro service shop here. They race quite a few BMWs and Volvos, and their lot is full of MB as well. They originally quoted me about $500. They are easy to work with, and seem to care. I took the procedure for the TB change, printed from the FAQ, and they skimmed it. They told me right up front, they simply can't do it correctly, for under $600...possibly as much as $700, depending on what they see when they get into it. I decided to do it myself...but I respect the fact that they were up front. Any future work that I can't do, they will be first on my list.

I guess the moral of this post is, if they give you a quote, make sure they know what they are getting into. This engine isn't necessarily difficult to work on, but it seems to be very common for people not familiar with it to under-estimate it.

Keith

Jared B.

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Jetta TDI Green
Glen (MOGolf) did my belt at 40,000, and he did a terrific job. I'd take the hike to OH and trust him over any mechanic any day. Many others would agree!

Take care

Jared

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
Blackknight said:
Mogolf, I just bought a 99 Jetta TDI with 60k miles on it.

I'm not too sure about the maintenance history, but I would like to fix anything that needs to be done on it.

Maybe I can stop by if you're willing to look at it. Or if anybody knows a good place to take it that's close to Jackson or Lansing, MI, that would be great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the unsolicited comments Jared. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blacknight, sure, if you want to come down to the middle of OH. GeWilli is closer in Lansing, lrpavlo in Merrill, and several others are located throughout MI, could give it a looking into. Of course they're off to the 'fest this weekend.

yippinyahoo

TDI
2001 Jetta Black Auto
well i took it in to the independent VW guy last night - he got into it and found that he has the parts for "early 2001" models, but not "late 2001" models like mine is... i now have to go back next week after the parts come in - revised quote is $270 for parts, $200 labor.

he took care of the rest of the checklist in the meantime. we'll see how things turn out, but how worried should i be about the TB catastrophically failing between now and then? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

LWB053

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jetta, Dk Green
yippinyahoo asked:
[ QUOTE ]
but how worried should i be about the TB catastrophically failing between now and then?

[/ QUOTE ]

It only takes a second or so to pull the cover off the top of the timing belt and look at it. If it looks really worn, and it will be obvious, then drive at your own risk! If not, it should hold out for a few weekends yet. They don't just disintegrate at 60,000 /images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you see anything obvious, like mis-tracking, frayed edges, cracks, missing teeth, you definitely need to get that thing replaced. Mine has 70,000 on what I assume to be the original. I'm changing it this month. I'm also not drag racing it between now and then, but neither am I sweating every time I crank it up. Mine still looks great, and might go another 10,000 or 20,000 with no problems. But, you just never know.

Keith

yippinyahoo

TDI
2001 Jetta Black Auto
alright - i got it done finally and 600 clams the poorer! took an extra hour the guy said, but it seems like i can trust this independent shop. now i find out i had the 80000 mile belt and it didn't need to be changed yet, but oh well - at least i'm set for quite a while now...