Amateur (ham) Radio in a TDI

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
I used to run 2m in the car; I now regard radio operation in the car much the same as I do phones and texting, and I have nothing mobile fitted in any vehicle, although I may carry an HT. I "shut up and drive." That's my stance, and I'm stickin' to it.

WE9E
I hate to admit it, but while I still monitor my HT during storms, I haven't uttered a word on the amateur radio bands in, oh, probably 15 years or more. I use to do lots of packet in the late 80's and early 90's, lots of 2m, and a little HF and ATV. Since cellphones and the internet came along, however, it seems kind of pointless.

I keep my ticket up to date however. You never know.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
I, too, have lost interest in working the ham bands. I prefer to just listen to music when I drive. I maintain the radios just in case I need one. But I don't really use them these days.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I like having the CB going on road trips - it's an extra layer of safety to know what's going on around me.

The fog incident in Texas reinforces that - communication is important.

I also use Waze anytime I'm driving. If you have Waze, join the group "TDIClub". :)

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
I like having the CB going on road trips - it's an extra layer of safety to know what's going on around me.

The fog incident in Texas reinforces that - communication is important.

I also use Waze anytime I'm driving. If you have Waze, join the group "TDIClub". :)
I had to look up "Waze". I never heard of it but now I see why. I don't have a smart phone or a data plan. Besides, my close range vision is so bad now that I'd need reading glasses to see it. :mad:

Is there anyone still on CB? I used to be into them back in the 70's (callsign KWQ 9951...how sad is that if I still remember it?) but gave them up when I became a ham. I tried one again a few years ago on a trip to Chicago. I was driving through Kansas in the middle of the night and the turnpike was full of deer. Never heard a thing on it, and when I got on to warn others, never got a response. Is Ch. 19 still the road channel?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Quite a few active folks out there and some great discussion forums, too. 19 (27.185) is still the road channel. 6, 22, 26, and 28 seem to be the big DX channels.

I think CB has actually been picking up a bit over the past few years - surprising, as I thought it was dying out. I've definitely been bitten by the radio bug lately but I'm not really interested in HAM (yet)... I'm sure that will change with time. ;)

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Hmm. Speaker mounting ideas? I like what meknc has done, but I don't think I can do it, clutch pedal in the way.

I picked up a used IC-7000, and the idea is to get it installed before I leave for Ho5G on the morning of the 31st. Tick, tock, tick, tock...

Need to do the following still:

• Install speaker
  • Lengthen power cable (will use PowerPoles), install power cable (so it reaches from the battery all the way to the CD changer compartment in the rear)
  • Bolt radio to modified CD changer bracket, get a piece of aluminum to support the other side
  • Drop headliner, drill hole in roof, install Larsen NMO mount, route cable down C pillar, shorten cable and install PL-259
  • Install antenna (just 2 m/70 cm for now, haven't decided whether I'm going to just operate HF as car-mounted portable, or if I'll work it mobile, and if I work mobile, roof-mount with monoband sticks, or somewhere else with a screwdriver).
  • Reassemble everything I've taken apart (driver's side dash panels, two clips holding trim on in the driver's rear seat area, and once I get the headliner down, the headliner)

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hello,

Hmm. Speaker mounting ideas? I like what meknc has done, but I don't think I can do it, clutch pedal in the way.

Not sure about your options regarding speakers. In my MK3, the 2" factory tweeters were actually made to fit in the MK3's 4" speaker openings. So my decision was to replace them with better 4" two-way speakers, disconnect the factory door speakers from the stereo, and then use the door speakers for my ham radios. I think it works well. :cool:

Scott

VeeDubTDI

TDI
That's a pretty slick idea, Scott - as long as you're not a total audiophile and don't mind losing two of the speakers for the stereo. :cool:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
HAHA! Yeah... I like my music. But I doubt I'm a true audiophile... not with anything by Pioneer in my system:

The factory grille still fits over these speakers. I use 200-Hz bass blockers to keep from overdriving them. More photos at http://www.stealthtdi.com/Albums/StealthElectronicsSuiteDetails/ I think it sounds pretty good. But the car is simply too noisy to allow the clarity desired by the real audio nuts. I get good mids and highs reflecting off the windshield and nice bass when the car is running (sub amp turned on by N109). But I guess I'm getting off topic. :p

Scott

bhtooefr

TDI
None
I'm tempted to stick this 4" Procomm speaker that I've got in front of the relay panel, bolt it down to the cover for the relay panel.

Anyway, got the transceiver installed, and power run to it. Still need to do the speaker and (VHF/UHF for now) antenna.

And my local repeater is STRONG - I was able to hear it... without an antenna.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
And now the Larsen NMO 2/70B installed on the roof:

Time to cut and strip the coax, put a PL-259 end on it, plug it in... and TRANSMIT!

KK7GV

TDI
2013 Jetta
Did you finally drill for an mno, if so where did you end up placing the antenna. Also, did you tap into the power distribution point under the hood and if so, how did you route your wiring through the firewall?

KK7GV

TDI
2013 Jetta
There is a power take off (stud) marked 75X under the dash board on the drivers side near the relay panel. It is hot when the key is on.

The diamond K-400 mount comes in NMO, UHF, and even 3/8x24 and is a good mount.

Most dual band antennas I have seen cannot be successfully retuned, but they hardly ever need to be either... (Right from the factory they are usually under 2:1 all across both bands, which is good enough to run)

73's

Bill
2013 JETTA is the power stud located in the same spot?

SoloScuba

TDI
2011 Golf TDi, 6m, Silver, w/ Sunroof & Bluetooth
Did you finally drill for an mno, if so where did you end up placing the antenna. Also, did you tap into the power distribution point under the hood and if so, how did you route your wiring through the firewall?
Yep and yep. Tip when drilling a hole in the roof, use a stepper bit. I had a brand new 3/8" bit and it worked fine until it grabbed the last little bit and ripped more than drilled a hole. Once the mount was in it pretty much evened out, but I won't do that again.

I hooked the power up under the hood to an available stud and a ground point. There are these little cone shaped rubber pieces in the firewall and I used a piece of coat hanger to punch through one and install a pull string. The rubber in the cone seals around the wire when you pull it through. Pretty neat thing for VW to install. Don't talk much on the 2 meter but good to have in the car for trips.

Another tid bit I learned, my antenna a Browning 5/8" whip was painted black and the paint had a few chips in it from hitting different things on the road or tree limbs sometime. I had already tuned it with an SWR Meter and had very little to no deflection once is was trimmed down. I took it off the car put a piece of blue painters tape on the bottom of the coil, wiped it down with some alcohol and painted it with Rust Oleum Truck Bed liner you can get at Home Depot. That stuff's the best and every now and then I pull it off and give the whole thing another coat. I'm using it on some of my Harley parts so I sent them an email to verify and there's no metal in the paint. I also checked it with the SWR Meter again I always receive good signal reports.

Good luck and 73.

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
I had good luck cutting my hole with a 3/4" hole saw after drilling a pilot hole:

Good Luck,

Scott

bubbazanetti

TDI
2013 Jetta
Just found this thread...and am resurrecting it.

Other than drilling a hole...

What are the opinions about mounting a screwdriver antenna? Not the dB loss, just mechanically where it can be mounted securely? (not interested in the big mag mounts either.)

I don't think lip mounts are strong enough, are they?

How about those license plate mounts?

I don't have a trailer hitch, but a mount to the frame?

TDI in MT

Veteran Member
TDI
none, sold it.
A trailer hitch mount might be the strongest, but would it provide the proper ground plane? (I don't know) And, with part of the antenna close to the body, it would couple (electrically) to the car, I think.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
A "small" screwdriver antenna, one that's made to screw onto an PL-259 or NMO mount, would be fine on a lip mount. A larger one? Nope. And I wouldn't trust any of them on a license plate mount. Anything larger than a small screwdriver not only is better mounted with a hole in the trunk lid, I'd also re-enforce the underside of the lid with 1/4" sheet metal. That's just me, though.

Now that I have a Mk6 with only the tiniest of unobstructed metal under the trunk lid, it's highly unlikely that I will ever bother to install a radio in it. That's okay. I've been talking less and enjoying the drive more over the past several years. :)

cvairwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB 2004 Audi A8L gasser 1999 A4 Avant gasser
W5IU runs a decent sized screwdriver on his Bug. I believe he has homebrew mount that uses the tow hook and a doubler on the spare tire well. I don't have a picture of his setup. PM me and I can put you in contact with him. I need to look at it again one of these days myself, as I'm about to mount my KX-3 in my bug and move the V-8000 to the truck permanently. Need to get the 2m module on order and installed first.

bubbazanetti

TDI
2013 Jetta

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hello,

I'm bringing this back from the dead, as has been done many times, rather than create a new topic. Now that there are more of the newer TDIs on the road, do we have any new TDI owners with ham radios installed who can share what they've done? I'm thinking my current Garmin spot may good location for a dual-band head unit:

'Tis the season for discounts; I see HRO is selling the FTM-400DR for a decent price. :)

As quoted below, I didn't think I'd install a ham radio in my Mk6. But, now that I've laid a lot of power distribution groundwork for my subwoofer project (distribution board here), a 2/70 radio is just a few wire connections away... sort of. ;) As a result, I'm feeling a little itchy toward installing something even though I'm not 100% certain I will use it often.

Let's see some updated photos!

Scott

I used to run 2m in the car; I now regard radio operation in the car much the same as I do phones and texting, and I have nothing mobile fitted in any vehicle, although I may carry an HT. I "shut up and drive." That's my stance, and I'm stickin' to it. WE9E
I have lost interest in working the ham bands. I prefer to just listen to music when I drive. I maintain the radios just in case I need one. But I don't really use them these days... Now that I have a Mk6 with only the tiniest of unobstructed metal under the trunk lid, it's highly unlikely that I will ever bother to install a radio in it. That's okay. I've been talking less and enjoying the drive more over the past several years. :)

cvairwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
Scott: I bought a FTM-400DR back in May and love it. It's a little wonky on programming, but there has been a firmware update that should help. If you are going to bury the main box, you will need a remote speaker. I like the touch screen, but I find that I really need a touch stick rather than my big fat fingers for several of the locations. Current model is the FTM-400XD, and there is a 100$ rebate on it thru the end of the year. As soon as I can get the interior back together, it will get mounted, as well as the KX3.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
cvairwerks,

Thanks for the note! I didn't notice the new model. Ham Radio Outlet is actually selling both. In fact, the outgoing model is even cheaper than the new one. Check this out:

I've read that the only improvement is an upgraded GPS receiver with faster initial lock-on. Have you noticed any problems with yours? I imagine not or you would've said something.

My most recent wiring efforts would make installing the body in the trunk a snap. But, as you said, I'd have to extend microphone cable and an external speaker into the cabin. Since I pulled the MDI interface from my center console when the car was new, I have LOTS of room in there for the main body. That would put a very loud speaker and microphone/connection right next to me. Could be a good plan. Regardless of my choice, I'm going to have to snake a cable: Either controller/speaker cables from trunk to front or a coax from front to trunk lid. Yes, I'll do a trunk lid antenna. I'm not messing with the headliner, unseen crossmembers, or a sunroof path. I'll accept the loss in performance. :)

What are your thoughts between the two radios?

Scott

cvairwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
Scott: I can't really say, as I haven't played with the new version. As to the GPS lockup, I don't know. I haven't even run the GPS on mine. I programmed it and tossed it in the car and away I went. One of these days I'll get into that and the APRS and everything else it will do. I move it back and forth between the bug and the truck on an as needed basis, therefore it's not mounted in either vehicle, just thrown into the right seat and plugged up.

A couple of things that I have noticed that are a little bothersome to me:

A slight PTT bump is all it takes to move from normal FM to Digital when in the auto mode. It takes a little longer to move it back.

You have to go a couple of levels deep in menus to change the screen brightness, and even on the lowest settings, at night, it's a little too bright for me. I run all interior lighting very dim in the car, just as I do in the airplane. Too bright and I catch reflections off of windows or any other reflective surface within the interior, as well as my glasses.

There is no auto dimming of the display. You have to do it manually, down in the menus.

The touchscreen can be extremely sensitive. I've barely touched it while moving the head on the seat and made A/B changes without wanting to.

All in all, I love the radio, but have not had the time to go digest the 4 volumes of the manual for it. I do wish that they had a version that would allow you to order it with any two bands onboard... I'd buy a second one with 220 and 1.2G in a heartbeat.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hello,

Since I pulled the MDI interface from my center console when the car was new, I have LOTS of room in there for the main body. That would put a very loud speaker and microphone/connection right next to me. Could be a good plan.
Unfortunately, this isn't going to work. It looked like it would I took my initial measurements. However, I emptied the console today and learned that it tapers as it goes deeper. The body will not fit. Therefore, I'm more likely to go with a trunk-mounted body. That'll keep my RF line short, anyway. I'll still store the microphone in there, though. :)

Scott

ksa63

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 "Technik" TDI
Kenwood NX-700 Dash Mount head unit

VA3KSA here...
Just adding pics of my install in the Golf SW. The head unit for my commercial Kenwood NX-700 is mounted above the ashtray after removing the panel that sits between the ashtray and the climate control unit. Power was taken from a constant source and fed to the main unit which was installed in the storage compartment in the rear, just behind the rear passenger side seat. Antenna is a 1/4 wave on a Comet RS520 mount.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
very nice @ksa63, somehow I missed this thread..

Ive been hesitant on rigging up my golf, right now I just have a little handheld with a battery eliminator, mag mount and remote mic/speaker.. clipped to my visor on road trips and stuffed in my side door compartment the rest of the time.

Ive been wanting to get one with a remote face plate to install on my adventure trailer, and see if I can run it remotely from the car while on the road.. then remotely from my shelter when camping... just going to cost me a pretty penny for something with built in APRS and a remote head.

Last edited: