For Sale: 1996 VW TDI Passat Wagon White $3300 OBO, in Healdsburg, CA

HbgTDI

TDI
1996 VW Passat TDI
SOLD!

I just joined this forum to post this car hoping that it will find a good home.
I'm no expert on cars but I'll do my best to answer questions.

1996 VW TDI Passat Wagon
Asking $3300 OBO
White
Stick Shift
Sunroof - works
Low Mileage: 112k miles
Bought in 2010 from Nice Cars with 71,028 miles on it - I don't know exact history but appeared to be in pretty good shape and I don't think they did much to it. I have a carfax report that says it was registered in New Mexico from 1996 to 2007.
Kept in garage 75% of the time I've owned it. Approx 1/2 in CA and 1/2 in WA.
17k miles on Michelin Defender Tires installed in 2014, tires still good
No problems with rust on body
Timing Belt Replaced at 107k miles
Oil changes with synthetic oil every 6-7000 miles
Ran Biodiesel in it most of the time, changed fuel filter a few extra times to avoid issues.
Haven't checked mileage lately but recall it being 40+ mpg last time I checked

Vehicle is in decent shape - Runs and drives well - but has some issues that need attention:
Exhaust Smell in cabin - Mechanic checked but he didn't find anything obvious, other than rear hatch gasket not sealing well, could be sucking some exhaust in there. An exhaust guy also looked at it and he thought oil might be dripping out of turbo somewhere on exhaust system and making smoke/stink near fresh air intake. I've just been driving it around with windows down because I don't want to keep putting time and money into it.
Air Conditioning stopped working a few years ago.
Passenger Rearview Mirror Glass fell off, needs replacing
Passenger door handle doesn't work from outside
Backseat Driverside window does not go down. Other windows work but some switches have to be pushed in just the right spots to operate.
Front passenger side fog light missing - fell out and lost on freeway.
When parked outside, back seat passenger side floor gets damp when it rains.
A few plastic interior trim parts (mostly from rear hatch) broke or had the mounting tabs break off, so they are in a box in the trunk. They got knocked off from hauling stuff in the back.
The rear cargo space light plastic fixture got knocked and broke - parts in a plastic bag.
A few chips and peels in the paint but overall looks pretty nice.
A pair of small dents in panel over front passenger side wheel - might not even be visible in pictures.
The upholstery is in decent shape - some wear and a few small stains.

I'm selling this car because I have two other newer cars that work perfectly, and don't have the time to tinker with this one, so it's mostly been in my garage for the last year. It's been a great car for long trips - comfortable and goes forever on a tank of fuel.

Thanks for looking!

More pictures in album, click images to view...

[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:

nomorotors

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 5-Speed, 01 Jetta 5-Speed, 02 Jetta 5-Speed Conversion, 04 Passat 5-Speed Conversion, 05 Passat 5-Speed Conversion, 05 Passat Wagon
Sweeeeeeeeeeet!!!

Get your paperwork ready...this one won't last.

-Jason

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
I just joined this forum to post this car hoping that it will find a good home.
I'm no expert on cars but I'll do my best to answer questions.
1996 VW TDI Passat Wagon
Asking $3300 OBO
White
Stick Shift
Sunroof - works
Low Mileage: 112k miles
Bought in 2010 from Nice Cars with 71,028 miles on it - I don't know exact history but appeared to be in pretty good shape and I don't think they did much to it. I have a carfax report that says it was registered in New Mexico from 1996 to 2007.
Kept in garage 75% of the time I've owned it. Approx 1/2 in CA and 1/2 in WA.
17k miles on Michelin Defender Tires installed in 2014, tires still good
No problems with rust on body
Timing Belt Replaced at 107k miles
Oil changes with synthetic oil every 6-7000 miles
Ran Biodiesel in it most of the time, changed fuel filter a few extra times to avoid issues.
Haven't checked mileage lately but recall it being 40+ mpg last time I checked
Vehicle is in decent shape - Runs and drives well - but has some issues that need attention:
Exhaust Smell in cabin - Mechanic checked but he didn't find anything obvious, other than rear hatch gasket not sealing well, could be sucking some exhaust in there. An exhaust guy also looked at it and he thought oil might be dripping out of turbo somewhere on exhaust system and making smoke/stink near fresh air intake. I've just been driving it around with windows down because I don't want to keep putting time and money into it.
Air Conditioning stopped working a few years ago.
Passenger Rearview Mirror Glass fell off, needs replacing
Passenger door handle doesn't work from outside
Backseat Driverside window does not go down. Other windows work but some switches have to be pushed in just the right spots to operate.
Front passenger side fog light missing - fell out and lost on freeway.
When parked outside, back seat passenger side floor gets damp when it rains.
A few plastic interior trim parts (mostly from rear hatch) broke or had the mounting tabs break off, so they are in a box in the trunk. They got knocked off from hauling stuff in the back.
The rear cargo space light plastic fixture got knocked and broke - parts in a plastic bag.
A few chips and peels in the paint but overall looks pretty nice.
A pair of small dents in panel over front passenger side wheel - might not even be visible in pictures.
The upholstery is in decent shape - some wear and a few small stains.
I'm selling this car because I have two other newer cars that work perfectly, and don't have the time to tinker with this one, so it's mostly been in my garage for the last year. It's been a great car for long trips - comfortable and goes forever on a tank of fuel.
Thanks for looking!
More pictures in album, click images to view...
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]
Curious to what this sells for

nomorotors

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 5-Speed, 01 Jetta 5-Speed, 02 Jetta 5-Speed Conversion, 04 Passat 5-Speed Conversion, 05 Passat 5-Speed Conversion, 05 Passat Wagon
BOOM!!
-Jason