Need input

ibsam2005

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6M
My background- Had a beater 2000 tdi 5m, sold her. Not driving a dieselgate '11 jsw tdi 6m. Looking at getting a replacement mk4 for the jsw. Saw this add on CL about an hour away:

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/cto/5630444553.html

body and interior look to be in great shape. If I could get him to say $12-1500 range, what do you think? I was thinking the engine probably needs a complete rebuild/replacement if the head has been off for any amount of time. But even for $2000-2500, could rebuild and make some improvements and be under $4000. Not worth it, worth it... Input? Just getting harder and harder to get these with a good body still.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
I wonder how many miles? 2200 seems like a lot - 6 grand value when running seems stupid high but the guy is tryijg to sell it, but if youre willing to do the work $1500 might be ok if in good condition. The ad did not really say why the engine was apart, expect the worst

Personally though, if you wanted to spend $4000 just find a decent running one already with maintenance records.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Car like that on Craigs List not running?
He needs to half is price, it would still be a risk.

ibsam2005

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6M
Ya, when I saw the $6k "in running condition" I thought was pretty lofty. He had it listed before, it was just reposted.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
It could be worth 6k running. No way will it be repaired for 6 hunerd. The leaky turbo seal is over a grand just to get started.
Plus it's Craigs List

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I tend to mark any posting as "SPAM" when people don't list mileage. I mean, come on, that's an important measure: I mark "SPAM" on any off-road equipment that doesn't list hours! I feel that people are being sneaky/dishonest if they cannot bother to list it (worse is when listed as "low mileage" without even saying what that mileage is! - common with dealers -> SPAM!).

It looks clean, for sure. I like that color.

But, and this is what really triggered a red flag:

"The main work is putting the head back on and repairing an oil seal leak at the turbo."

Aside from the -"Why was the head off?"- what oil seal is on a turbo that you can "repair?" There's only the copper(?) seal on the oil line that I'm aware of.

Timing belt done last year. And now the head is off. I'd wager that this sucker has bent rods.

Maybe $2k and drop in another engine (figure turbo on existing engine is shot; maybe IP too).

Just to compare "value" on used cars, here's what I recently picked up (found on Craigslist) for my wife's son (priced at $4,300 USD/$5,600 CAD):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cs1ixdgjdbtx1xu/AABozsO6xT2TPaNKqdxjw2Gra?dl=0

151k miles. New clutch. Larger nozzles (not tuned though). Recent shocks and struts (and TT LCA bushings). It's better in person.

Suspension and brakes can require some $$ if they're needed. I've poured quite a bit into my Golf and, while it's more than what the son's car was acquired for, it's exactly what I want. Sometimes it's better to find something that one can tailor to one's liking.

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Why the push to replace the Dieselgatewagen? Just because VW lied, doesn't make it suddenly poisonous. If anything, the best value you'll get from it is continuing to drive it.

ibsam2005

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6M
Ya, I figured it'd have to get a new(used) long block. At the very least because down here with the humidity, if the head is off the motor the moisture would be getting into it and rust her real quick. My thought was also tho, while it needs a new turbo, might as well get a 17/22 right??? haha

Any idea what a long block would cost including to buy and install? Or would it be cheaper, if the block is in OK shape, to have it bored and completely rebuilt with new rods and pistons?