injection pump problem

jkb09

TDI
new beetle, jetta
I have a 99 New Beetle Tdi 1.9L. I am having some problems with it. Deisel is leaking from the fuel injector pump & I can't seem to get it stopped. I am fairly savy when it comes to engines but this is the first TDI I haved owned. Whats with the 1 long screw on the pump? Deisel is bubbling from that screw hole as well as the lower chamber seal on the pump. I replaced the top seal but was unsure on proceeding with others. Does that long screw have a gasket around it somewhere in the pump? I have read that the fuel temp sensor can cause some probs so I am replacing it as it only costs about $20. Any insight would be much appreciated. I love the little car and am currently not able to drive it!

cindry

TDI
98 jetta
my 98 jetta tdi is doing the same thing, i also replaced the top seal, no longer leaks, next seal down is leaking now, don't know if that seal can be accessed without removing pump from car, which i am not experienced with. i guess it is a trip to the vw shop for a reseal job on the whole pump.

Naimanator

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2002 Golf GLS TDI
I'm not sure what you guys mean by the "top seal", but I had a leaky injection pump leading to a "no start" situation a few months back. I replaced the pump head o-ring and that fixed the situation.

A replacement o-ring, as well as a complete walkthrough of the repair procedure can be found here: http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=430

Good luck!

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
The two seals at the top around the quantity adjuster are both easy to change. If you did the top one, the second is like unto it. And you already will have removed the security fastener. The bad news is that if you did the top one already, you'll pretty much need to undo those things again. OK, ok, I apologize. Doing the second one will cause you to have to replace the QA because you have to remove it, and there's a trick to it.

The QA works by moving a steel donut on the main pump shaft. There is a hole in the middle of the donut that a probe from the QA fits into. Lining that back up is the trick to reassembly.

It is not rocket science. It is a minimal amount of physical dexterity of your digits and a modicum of patience. In other words, take a deep breath and you can do it.

cindry

TDI
98 jetta
Qa?

The second seal down was easily replaced, the QA you refer to, what does that stand for. I did not move anything around, just cleaned all surfaces and replaced seal. The QA I assume is the probe that went down into the pump area, I lined it up and reinstalled bolts, now car won't start. What did I do wrong? It acts like not getting fuel so I broke all lines to try to get air out. Still not working.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
The Quantity Adjuster is that entire item inside the rectangular housing on top. If you lined up that probe properly so that it engaged the hole in the steel donut, then your problem is probably that the IQ is off due to not replacing it exactly in the position from which it was removed. You probably need a VCDS (aka VAG-Com) to find out what the injection quantity (IQ) is, and therefore what direction to move the QA housing. 3.5-4.5 is the good place to be afaik, but you need the computer to tell where you are. Too low and you might get a runaway, too high and you get no start. And you shouldn't have any more leakage if all the proper seals were replaced.

cindry

TDI
98 jetta
Quantity adjuster

I tried not to move anything while replacing seal, if the QA was moved and I have a no start does that explain no fuel at injectors?

vegtech

TDI
99 jetta tdi, 03 golf, 05 jetta pd,05 toureg all on wvo
the adjustment is soooo small, there is no way you put it back in the right spot.
loosen the three torkx just slightly and tap it with a hammer, if you have no fuel, you want to move it to the drivers side. you might be able to get it to run but you need vag com to set it right.

cindry

TDI
98 jetta
vag-com

vag-com is the computer to tell the output of fuel? If I tap housing slightly to right and go too far, can I get a run away engine? How do you stop a run away? Why would you only loosen the 3 torqes and not the long bolt, wouldn't that damage the new seal, when moving housing slightly?

cindry

TDI
98 jetta
thanks

thanks for the help you guys. after reading some articles in the how to section i now know i should have scribed a mark exactly where QA housing sat on body. damage done. i will first use a vacuum to get air out, i want to adjust QA housing towards pump,as i had no fuel or it seems, maybe i just hadnt got air out. i am petrified i'll go to far and cause it to run away. i know i need a vag-com. when the vag com is hooked up and bolts are slightly loose as to adjust QA, car is running? doesn't fuel leak?

cindry

TDI
98 jetta
vag tech

I thank you again, I did exactly what you said, needed to slide QA towards pump 3 times to get it to start and run like new. Now I can drive it to the shop to get the computer put on it, but we got it very close. Seals don't leak, sucess. Water pump hose right below pump seems swollen, so I will change that.

jkb09

TDI
new beetle, jetta
Thanks everyone for the input. I'll give some of your suggestions a try & see what happens. If I need anymore help I will definitely be posting the questions on here. This forum has proven to be way more helpful than any mechanic I have talked to yet...including the ones at the VW dealership. Thanks!!

ocelot

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat TDi
cindry said:
thanks for the help you guys. after reading some articles in the how to section i now know i should have scribed a mark exactly where QA housing sat on body. damage done. i will first use a vacuum to get air out, i want to adjust QA housing towards pump,as i had no fuel or it seems, maybe i just hadnt got air out. i am petrified i'll go to far and cause it to run away. i know i need a vag-com. when the vag com is hooked up and bolts are slightly loose as to adjust QA, car is running? doesn't fuel leak?
Could you please refer me to exactly where this how-to article is? I looked and can't seem to find it...

Also, does anyone know where I can get JUST that gasket? I'm leaking from the same place and all I can find is this kit:

http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Categories?category=TDI+Injection+Pump

I recall replacing the top gasket a couple of years ago, and I managed to find just that gasket. Seems like they stopped selling it on its own?