highest torque permissible with stock ALH clutch?

ibanix

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd
I think 250 is about the limit? Dunno how much you get out of the .205 nozzels, but those other mods will do little for power. Chipping will get you far more power gains.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I'd always heard 200 ft-lb or a little more.

Depending on which 0.205 nozzles, you could be close to that.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
my clutch is holding fine with PP520s and RC2. but i think i am the exception to the rule. i bet things will change once winter rolls around.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
Mine was doing fine with Sprint 520's and RC2....

Did the G60/VR6 and went to RC3E.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Lex4TDI4Life said:
my clutch is holding fine with PP520s and RC2. but i think i am the exception to the rule. i bet things will change once winter rolls around.
Mine is holding up with RC6 and PP502's, I am also an exception, I have driven it for a year so far.

Russnut

Veteran Member
TDI
03' Jetta TDi
mine acted like it wasn't there with crappy .216s and the evry mod ... but it had 163k on it when that happened. Either way, the VR6 kits hold up with lots of mods are relatively cheap.

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
my 110 was the early dual mass pre 2000 and lasted only 1 week with pp520s and chip until slipping big time :D
but i think from 11/2000 they had the 228mm which held a bit more but with only 205s or (sprint 520s) ithink you may be safe but i would plan for a clutch upgrade

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Bob_Fout said:
I'd always heard 200 ft-lb or a little more.

Depending on which 0.205 nozzles, you could be close to that.
A little over 200 ft*lbs sounds about right. I've seen numbers ranging from 210-225 ft*lbs for the stock clutch rating. It's consistent with most modded TDI owner's experiences where a chip tune and a nozzle upgrade like 0.205 nozzles almost always equals a clutch upgrade.

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
Dankcorey22 said:
iv heard the 99.5 were built with a stronger clutch is that true?
yes the 99.5 had the 228mm dual mass luk clutch i believe which is rated at about 270lbsft but is reported by most to hold allot more instead of the earlier ones like mine which had the crap 220mm and holds bugger all at the moment:D

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
I'm still using my stock clutch with no problems. I have a VR6 Valeo clutch in my trunk waiting to be installed but I don't see any point if my stock clutch isn't slipping yet.

TDIinTexas

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI
When I dynoed in the spring at 246lbft., I was slipping. It lasted another 6 months of spirited driving before I swapped it out, it wasn't even trashed then.

David

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
crazyrunner33 said:
I'm still using my stock clutch with no problems. I have a VR6 Valeo clutch in my trunk waiting to be installed but I don't see any point if my stock clutch isn't slipping yet.
Stock 2003 clutch does not withstand PP764s and the 17/22. That's over 300 ft-lb...

Lat

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35d, 2006 Jetta TDI
i still have my stock sachs (2002), and i have a clutch saver tune, yielding ~185 ft-lbs max.
you can probably get up to ~ 200 ft-lbs before slippage.

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
Good thread - I wanted to know this too. Too chicken to make my own thread and ask it.

I have my initial q-loader tune running but was waiting on the nozzles (PP520) until I had fundage for a clutch. Now I'm thinking I'll throw them in and just take a little more easy.

How long could the stock clutch handle roasting one tire through 1st or 2nd gear while accelerating through turns? Over rough pavement? Do you guys think the clutch slippage is driven by drivetrain shock or more from the long-term torque over its rating?

hux

TDI
Bora
shizzler said:
Good thread - I wanted to know this too. Too chicken to make my own thread and ask it.

I have my initial q-loader tune running but was waiting on the nozzles (PP520) until I had fundage for a clutch. Now I'm thinking I'll throw them in and just take a little more easy.

How long could the stock clutch handle roasting one tire through 1st or 2nd gear while accelerating through turns? Over rough pavement? Do you guys think the clutch slippage is driven by drivetrain shock or more from the long-term torque over its rating?
Once you let go of the clutch, there's no abuse to it. Unless you make frequent burn outs, your clutch won't suffer when spinning out of turns. All the stress goes to your diff, gearbox and shafts... and of course, tires.

I´ve had the OEM dual mass clutch in my 1.8T for 70k km with 220HP and 240 lb/ft. No issues regarding premature wear. But I try never to slip the clutch from a standstill.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
250 crank is the rating, I believe. I could get my clutch to slip occasionally in IBW with RC3 and everything else stock, and that was probably at about 225/230 wheel torque. When I added PP520s (in December, duh) it was over in the first drive. It would slip in 3rd, 4th, or 5th. Of course at that point the car had 100K on it so that matters, too.

Rule of thumb with stock clutch: Tune is OK, nozzles are OK, but not both.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
IndigoBlueWagon said:
250 crank is the rating, I believe. I could get my clutch to slip occasionally in IBW with RC3 and everything else stock, and that was probably at about 225/230 wheel torque. When I added PP520s (in December, duh) it was over in the first drive. It would slip in 3rd, 4th, or 5th. Of course at that point the car had 100K on it so that matters, too.

Rule of thumb with stock clutch: Tune is OK, nozzles are OK, but not both.

So I must be the exception,having the tune and nozzles at the same time, and the stock clutch holding on very strong

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
MAXRPM said:
So I must be the exception,having the tune and nozzles at the same time, and the stock clutch holding on very strong
Some of the earlier models came with a LUK clutch from the factory that is able to handle a bit more power without slipping. Later ALH's came with Sachs clutches that are a little more prone to slipping whenever any 2 power mods are combined (nozzles/chip/tuning box).

jeffpepin

TDI
1.9 ALH jetta 2003
Stock 2003 clutch does not withstand PP764s and the 17/22. That's over 300 ft-lb...
My last test on 2003 alh . modded some map to get 110cv 268nm @ 3600rpm hard cutoff at 3902rpm
Then i drop evry mod at 700ohm over the setup .
I think i exeed a litle bit but clutch seem not slip yet . you are probably right .all my mecanich are fukin virgin oem

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
My last test on 2003 alh . modded some map to get 110cv 268nm @ 3600rpm hard cutoff at 3902rpm
Then i drop evry mod at 700ohm over the setup .
I think i exeed a litle bit but clutch seem not slip yet . you are probably right .all my mecanich are fukin virgin oem
First off, i do enjoy seeing old threads get revived.
Did you notice the 2008 (10year old) thread you replied a comment too? Also why on earth are you tooling around with the Evry mod? very unreliable boost levels and what not.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I got lucky with my 2001, I installed .205's and Stage 3 tune and I never had any clutch slippage even 120k miles later; my clutch was over 200k miles old at that time.

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
I got lucky with my 2001, I installed .205's and Stage 3 tune and I never had any clutch slippage even 120k miles later; my clutch was over 200k miles old at that time.
...Necrothread...

ALH cars can have one of two different clutches.

Early ALH's (~99.5-01) had LUK clutch which held a good bit more torque than the late ALH's (~02-03), which had a Sachs clutch that are terrible at holding torque.

The Sachs clutch in my 03 wagon cannot hold all the fuel available from stock nozzles and stock 10mm pump.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
LUK clutches were in '98 NBs, and '99.5 Golf and Jetta only. Not in '00 or '01. And they did handle more torque if broken in properly and not abused. My '99.5 Golf made 145/270 on a very conservative dyno and the clutch didn't slip in track use, surprisingly.

Keep in mind that and OE clutch in an ALH is pretty old by now, and may not be as strong as when new.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
it holds a little less than what slips it

easy way to get more power through a weak clutch?
bigger turbo and nozzles, shift peak torque up out of the 2-3000 range

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
The Sachs clutch in my 03 wagon cannot hold all the fuel available from stock nozzles and stock 10mm pump.
funny, I was running pp764s with the 10mm pump, burning clean with 5v across the QA
stock organic relined clutch disc on a sachs DMF and pp with 140k miles on it
only once I stuck the 12mm pump on it did I... sieze the pump, then with the .360s I could slip it easily.

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SARX_jDH3DA

4th gear from about 2k-4k. Mods are listed in the video description except for that I have a Luk clutch in it. It has stock flywheel which hates its life but I still don't slip the clutch. I know dyno numbers arent reliable. Dude tried telling me that was wheel hp. No way with the mods I have, this is more like crank hp.