Esp light after 10 mins driving

Samg

TDI
Passat 1.9
Passat b5.5 2005 tdi 1.9 130 pd engine code AWX
Help! I have Spent weeks under car/ going cross eyed on internet etc.
ESP LIGHT comes on (SOLID) after 10 mins, goes out again after restarting. (Battery light works fine, car runs fine) Cheap code reader says engine 17911 and ABS 18265. In the past year its had a new battery, alternator and break pedal switch. Looking on other threads, Skoda’s/golfs etc. say Alternator load wire may be broken in engine bay. Mine has two thin blue wires going from alt( lamp and digital field monitoring) into wiring loom through bulkhead (i think). Should I be looking for a broken wire/connector and if so where? I’ve been searching around starter motor with no luck, is this even a known issue with Passat’s? Currently have black tape covering warning light......lol!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17911/P1503

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/18256/P1848/006216

Your esp light should not be caused by the alternator. Did you have alternator problems and fix them previously? If so I would clear those two codes and see if they come back.

It looks like you have some version of vcds or a cheap vag reader of some kind. Will it access the brake module ? That is where your problem with the esp light is. Electronic stability protection (I think). If you can access the brake module you can pull the code(s) that should be present and go from there.

If I had to make an inter web guess I’d say probably a bad wheel sensor. Brake codes will not show up in the engine part of the code reader.

Samg

TDI
Passat 1.9
Thank you so much! One of the wheel sensor rubber grommets has totally perished, guess it must be that, the original alternator died, and was replaced, not sure why the code keeps coming back then??

Samg

TDI
Passat 1.9
This is where im getting stuck, ive continuity checked the lamp wire from the alternator to the wiring harness connector under the dashboard, but do i have to check the continuity of the dfm wire back to pin 28 of the engine control module? Both the lamp and dfm wires disappear into a sheathed loom. Are there connections inside the engine bay? Im worried about screwing up the ecu while fault finding on its connector?

Samg

TDI
Passat 1.9
Ok, replaced suspected wheel speed sensor, alternator wiring checked and has expected voltage on the load sensor wire, Esp light still on after 10 mins...grrrrrrr