Winter Woes - Car Doors Freezing Shut

robm2

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
If there is any snow or moisture on the roof of the car, and the temperature drops below freezing, the doors freeze shut. This is really bad when there is a snowfall, it warms during the day, and then the temperature drops in the evening.

It seems like the rubber drip rail just inside the door at the top is the culprit. It is supposed to carry the water away, but some manages to get between the rubber and the door, and freeze it shut.

Last winter, I tried wiping the rubber and adjacent part of the door with vegetable oil. This worked for only a day or so.

Is there any other solution to this? Any more permanent coating I could try? Silicone grease, perhaps?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Dunno if you can still buy glycerin at the local pharmacy, but it was the cat's pajamas for this back in the day.

Same idea as veg oil but lasted much much longer... often until winter had decided to stay for good and quit with the thaw-freeze cycle. :)

Sunroof grease would probably work well too?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Glycerine is easy to find, anything to stop the water from bonding to the rubber will stop the freezing shut issue.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk