limp mode in my 2005 Tdi

hughc

TDI
2005 tdi passat
For the past several months I've been experiencing an off and on limp mode with my 2005 Tdi, (converted to 5sp manual).

This is unlike my previous limp mode problem caused by a blown boost pipe.

Currently when I start the engine and it is in limp mode I usually just stop the engine and restart it and the boost is there for the rest of the drive, regardless of how hard I push it. So that is unlike the previous problem with the blown boost pipe where the engine would revert to limp mode as soon as I stomped on it.

Because of the way it's operating I've been in no rush to have it looked at but now I'd like to get it sorted out.

In talking to my mechanic he suspects a bad MAF but I'd like to get opinions from the forum members before I drop the car off to him.
Is there something else on the turbo itself that might cause, like vanes, that might cause that problem?

Thanks

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well you need to start by finding out why it is in limp mode. The DTC will be over or under boost. The way your diagnosis progresses from there will depend on this DTC.

hughc

TDI
2005 tdi passat
Thank you guys. I have an appointment this week to have the car looked at and hopefully they can diagnose and fix the problem without breaking the bank.

From the responses I have received it doesn't sound too complicated.

Hughc