Slight Rhythmic Thumping Sound but no Flat Tire

EYE2

For the past month, I have a noticed a slight rhythmic thumping sound that speeds up and slows down with the speed of the car that sounds similar to a flat tire, but all the tire pressures are fine; it sounds like it is coming from the right rear wheel. Has anyone experienced this or know what could be causing it?

hysterwv

Veteran Member
Do you rotate your tires regularly? Mine had the same noise after I failed to rotate the tires in about 15k miles. Right rear was cupped pretty bad. It may be an indication that you need new shocks. Do a google search for tire cupping or scalloping and you'll find all sorts of information. Slowly run your hand along the surface of the tire, you'll probably feel the "cups" or "scallops" along the inner tire edge.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
the description would sound like a bad tire. with the windows down, and someone listening in the back seat, you might pin it down as to which one.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
You also can try rotating your tyres (when was the last time they were rotated?) See if it changes after a rotation. If you take it to a tyre shop they can check them for balance at the same time.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I experienced the same thing soon after I got our wagon a couple of years ago. Tires had been rotated regularly, checked wheel bearings, etc., etc. After searching these forums I discovered that some folks had similar problems with the same Michelin tires that I had on the car. Switched to Continentals...no more thump!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
My Passat had a bent wheel (out of round) from my wife hitting a large pot hole. Imagine bending a 17", 25 lb Bistar wheel! It sure was noisy over 40 MPH.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Do you rotate your tires regularly?
I'm still confounded at how rotating tires helps with this... If a problem like this develops on account of some mechanical fault (shock absorber, axle bushing) wouldn't rotating the tires lead to the abuse of two tires rather than one? (Sorry for being a crab, but I just had one expensive Nokian winter tire have a belt separation... )

Yuri

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I'm still confounded at how rotating tires helps with this...

Two ways. First rotating the tyres may do nothing or it may make a difference. If it makes a difference, then you can be reasonable sure that it involves the tyre or wheel rotated and you can rule out things like suspension problems.

hysterwv

Veteran Member
I'm still confounded at how rotating tires helps with this... If a problem like this develops on account of some mechanical fault (shock absorber, axle bushing) wouldn't rotating the tires lead to the abuse of two tires rather than one? (Sorry for being a crab, but I just had one expensive Nokian winter tire have a belt separation... )

Yuri
You're right to a point. Me not rotating caused excessive wear on one tire. I needed new rear shocks, but not rotating made the situation worse. If you get minor cupping, the tire will continue to cup (especially at steady highway speeds) at an excessive rate as it "hops" down the road.

A "perfect" alignment will keep all 4 wearing evenly. But generally, each of your 4 tires is wearing differently and they need to be rotated at a regular interval to keep wear even and extend the life of a SET of tires.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
I heard of flatspotting, or the equivalent of it, when a car is parked and not moved over a period, and the tire gets a memory. I know it happens on my Kawasaki Mule tires. I don't use the utility vehicle that mcuh and keep it parked for days at a time, sometimes weeks, and when I start using it the vehicle feels like a gimp.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Current technology tyres don't do it, They may produce the effect when first stating off, but after a few blocks it should quit, but older tyres did.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Two sets of Conti Pro Contacts on the Golf, and now Conti Extreme DWSs on the Passat with no flat spotting. I do keep the tires at the high end of the inflation pressure range for better fuel economy, though.

Last edited:

johnnyrotten

TDI
2014 PASSAT TDI SEL
I too am experiencing a thumping sound in my tires??????? I had 2 Conti Pro Contacts replaced with 30k miles on the car due to a radial pull. Vw paid for 1 and I paid for the other. Made a road trip to Jersey from AZ and noticed a thumping sound coming from the RF of the car between 5 and 25 MPH then it would go away. Wound up with the 2 Original Conti's still on the car with 68k on them one went flat so I decided to replace them with Pirelli p7's. Replaced the 2 rear tires and kept the New Pirellis on the rear. Then I noticed a thumping sound coming from front right. Took car to VW in Jersey told me it was a bad CV joint. Replaced FR CV joint and they rotated the tires. Problem solved. (for now). On the trip back to AZ I noticed a thumping sound again only not as loud. Had car checked in Az when I got back. They suspected a tire but couldn't be sure. So this weekend I did a Front Brake job and re rotated the tires putting the Conti's back on the front. All of a sudden the thumping was back but even louder and more noticeable then before. Think it's the Conti tire. Going to dealer tomorrow and have this investigated. Will follow up. Tomorrow. I think Conti just made a batch of bad tires around 2013-2014 and they just won't admit to it. Just not real happy with Conti's. Hopefully with my past experience the dealer will work with me once again!

johnnyrotten

TDI
2014 PASSAT TDI SEL
UPDATE ON MY 14 Passat

Well went back too the dealer today to pick up my Passat. Had 2 new Pirelli P7's installed the brake fluid changed, front end alignment and the L/H sunvisor replaced. The tires were replaced because once I did the brakes and rotated the "NEW" P7's to the rear of the car and the problematic Continental Pro Trac's put up front the thumping sound returned this time only louder than before. The thumping only happened between 15 and 30 MPH. Was told by dealer that the thumping is all gone and everything was done. After I signed the R/O I noticed it said ............ Performed Mount and Balance on both front tires, found that driver front tire was out of round, may notice vibration at higher speeds. Asked them what this meant and expressed my concern. Was told not to worry. Then I went outside to inspect the car then I looked at the P7's DOT number 93 WB R245 2716 and the other one was 93 WB R245 2816. WHoa I said.....went back inside and asked them why they installed 2 1/2 year old tires on my car???? they said we never noticed. Another loaner and they said we will get you newer tires and replace them for no charge, so we shall see on Wednesday! I know people say that tires should be changed every 5-6 years regardless of mileage. so what happens if I only put 20k in 3.5 years...........??? wasted money!

johnnyrotten

TDI
2014 PASSAT TDI SEL
Well after all was said and done! VW refused to honor my wish to have fresher tires placed on my vehicle. Everything is documented so if there is an issue they will hear from me. And I basically told them anything to do with warranty they will get the car back but other than that they will not see me anymore. They showed me an excerpt from Pirelli saying that tires age only after they are exposed to the elements and not in "Temperature controlled " environments! I call bull**** here but I have a call into pirelli and am awaiting their response!