1998 Golf 3 Gl TDI Won't Fire - Please Help

EvilD

TDI
2004 TDI 140BHP Golf / 1998 GL TDI Golf
Hey, I am having problems firing up my TDi. I have read through about Relay 109 and wonder if the Golf 3 Has the same relay as the Golf 4. I can't see the GP light coming on or at least hear a relay click in and out. I have checked the fuel filter seals as this was replaced and reprimed her to be sure, but she won't bite, just turn over.

I have a brand new fully charged battery. New Fuel Filter, New Air Filter on her. She was running fine after the service, i had done 200 miles since then and i left her for 5 days and then she fired up fine as i needed to move her a 100yrds. Left her again for 3 days and she won't fire now. If anyone has any thoughts i would be very greatfull as i can't get the tow truck down where she sits.

Duncan
West Sussex, England, with a Heatwave

Rustynuts

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta 2.0ltr Sport TDI
Hi Duncan, It does sound like a 109 failure seeing as there's no glow plug light. It should light for a split second to verify the bulb is working when you turn the ignition on.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Yes, a Golf 3 has a relay 109. If the glow plug light does not come on durring the lamp test when you first turn the key, the engine computer is not getting power.

-Jason

EvilD

TDI
Hey guys, yeah i am gonna get one from the dub garage tomorrow as it is probably the cheapest route at the moment to take. Could this explain why my mate couldn't get a read from the ECU with his code reader? I love this car so i am gonna keep at it till she runs again as Diesel and Petrol are round £1.00 per liter.....

Peace Out

Duncan

EvilD

TDI
Just To say guys, i went down to my local dealer and got a 109 relay and guess what...... She fired straight up, but the GP light still doesn't illuminate (think bulb might be shot) but you can hear the relay clicking!! Cheers For your help

Dunc