Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta, 5 speed, 400k milesish
That's a good price....use it!

bbexotics

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat,2006 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon, 2017 Cayman S
Do you really think Amzoil is better than Mobil One??? Please, Amzoil is overrated, the only people praising Amzoil are those that sell it. Do you think Amzoil has the same labs, and scientists that Mobil one does, Amzoil is snake oil, praised by many of its sales men period, use are safer using Mobil one TDT, or Mobil One delvac 1

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
amsoil also meets vw spec
Read the literature more carefully. They crafted language that makes it sound like they meet the spec, but Amsoil does not apply (or pay) for any manufacturer certifications. They say the oil "is suitable for vehicles requiring 505.01" or something like that. There's no way of knowing if it meets the spec. It hasn't been certified.

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta, 5 speed, 400k milesish
Read the literature more carefully. They crafted language that makes it sound like they meet the spec, but Amsoil does not apply (or pay) for any manufacturer certifications. They say the oil "is suitable for vehicles requiring 505.01" or something like that. There's no way of knowing if it meets the spec. It hasn't been certified.

Mobile 1 5w-40 doesn’t meet that standard either FWIW based on their product guide.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Don't think it does. But there are plenty of reasonably priced oils that do. Pentosin HP2, Rowe Hitec Synth RS DLS, Total Quartz INEO MC3, Liqui-Moly Top Tec 4100 are a few.

I know that a lot of PD owners use oil that's not 505.01 certified. I'm not questioning their decision. But my approach with my diesels has always been to remove any doubt by using oil that's certified as meeting the manufacturer's specification. There's not reason not to.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
You'd have a hard time finding any 5w-40 oil that wouldn't be suitable for a BRM. That Amsoil formulation is quite good, but still a bit pricey at $6.75/qt, imo. You might look into the Delvac1 5w-40 rebate deals that come up regularly.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
I wouldn’t use The new CK-4/SN rated Delvac 1 in any engine that has a flat tapper cam. Not sure if TDT is also dual rated now. Amsoil SS HD oils are better for this application.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I can get a couple of cases at 6.75 a quart, would it be a good oil for a brm?
Please don't drink the Amsoil KoolAid. If anyone approaches you wearing an Amsoil hat and jacket and randomly drooling and spouting Amsoil propaganda, run the other way!!!!!

Moparjr89

TDI
2006 jetta tdi 5 speed
No one approached me a local guy is retiring and closing up shop so hes selling his stock at cost to clear it out

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I wouldn’t use The new CK-4/SN rated Delvac 1 in any engine that has a flat tapper cam. Not sure if TDT is also dual rated now. Amsoil SS HD oils are better for this application.

A lot of guys were pulling their hair out when the CJ-4 rated oils first emerged too. Those fears turned out to be unfounded. It seems Ford is largely responsible for creating a distrust of the CK-4 spec. My understanding is that the Xw-40 CK-4/SN oils are exempt from the phosphorous/zinc limits that apply to the thinner grades. I'd wait for some UOA's on the PD engines before passing judgement.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
A lot of guys were pulling their hair out when the CJ-4 rated oils first emerged too. Those fears turned out to be unfounded. It seems Ford is largely responsible for creating a distrust of the CK-4 spec. My understanding is that the Xw-40 CK-4/SN oils are exempt from the phosphorous/zinc limits that apply to the thinner grades. I'd wait for some UOA's on the PD engines before passing judgement.
It doesn’t meet the Ford powerstroke oil spec so the phosphorus has been reduced below 1000 ppm. Haven’t seen a VOA yet but the SDS suggests the D1 formula was significantly changed (with cheaper base oils) for the CK-4/SN rollout.

Interesting to note that many manufacturers advertised reduced wear, deposits, and friction with their new CK-4 products. Mobil made no such claims with the new D1 rollout. I believe the new formula was formulated with cost cutting measures and they took advantage of the new spec to cheapen the formula. It’s not an improvent and may actually be inferior to the old CJ-4 version while still meeting the minimum CK-4/SN specifications.