Preping tuned car for sell back

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
Looking for conformation that my 2013 golf with a stage3 tune will be drive-able after reinstalling the stock turbo & dpf.

It would be a 6mi drive from the house to the dealer and my thoughts are that if I drive it gently it will run just fine.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
You might throw a code, as the fuel and timing will be way off due to reduction in turbo size... why not reflash back to stock?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've read of a number of folks here who's returned deleted cars without issue. You should do some more research before going to the trouble of re-installing hardware.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
You might throw a code, as the fuel and timing will be way off due to reduction in turbo size... why not reflash back to stock?
I don't want to pay for a reflash just to drive it 6mi to sell it back to VW

I've read of a number of folks here who's returned deleted cars without issue. You should do some more research before going to the trouble of re-installing hardware.

I want to keep the hardware.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
well, 6 miles isn't too far, if you take it REAL easy you should not find any codes in that distance, if you have a code reader you could also clear any codes a few doors down. (shady maybe) its why I paid the extra couple hundred to own my own flashzilla.

Also (don't quote me) but most of the tuners only charge a nominal fee to adjust, upgrade / reflash a tune, ive bought several iterations for this car since my initial 500 dollar purchase for between 50 and 100 bucks. You might also check with AArodriguez, they do rent a flashzilla, and I believe they can provide you with a stock tune for your car. maybe for reasonable money you can flash the thing in your garage and not worry about it.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
well, 6 miles isn't too far, if you take it REAL easy you should not find any codes in that distance, if you have a code reader you could also clear any codes a few doors down. (shady maybe) its why I paid the extra couple hundred to own my own flashzilla.

Also (don't quote me) but most of the tuners only charge a nominal fee to adjust, upgrade / reflash a tune, ive bought several iterations for this car since my initial 500 dollar purchase for between 50 and 100 bucks. You might also check with AArodriguez, they do rent a flashzilla, and I believe they can provide you with a stock tune for your car. maybe for reasonable money you can flash the thing in your garage and not worry about it.

To my knowledge there is no down side to having the CEL light on. it only has to drive in under it's own power so I am not concerned about codes or even showing up under limp mode.
With that in mind is seem like a waste of money to have is flashed back to stock.

Anyway thanks guys for your information thoughts and comments. I am going to try and buy it from the dealer, they have first chance to buy the cars turned in at their store. My feeling is they will want too much for it, their cars seem to be priced on the higher end of the spectrum.

It is a 2013 Golf with tec package, 90,000mi. needs tires, shocks, brake flush and oil change. I see the same car down to the color for sale in Massachusetts with 41,000mi for $11,385. My car should be worth an easy $2,000-3,000 less in my opinion.

I will post up if I make a deal with them. I am not in a hurry to buy one as they keep decreasing in value as the months go by.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
To my knowledge there is no down side to having the CEL light on. it only has to drive in under it's own power so I am not concerned about codes or even showing up under limp mode.
I'd double check that first; when I showed up with a MIL for a glowplug combustion sensor they refused to take the car for emissions recall.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I'd double check that first; when I showed up with a MIL for a glowplug combustion sensor they refused to take the car for emissions recall.

Yes, there is an issue if you are trying to get the fix done. There is no issue for the buyback.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
No worries, the car will run just fine for that short distance. Shouldn't trigger any lights(not that it matters), the dpf just won't do active regens.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Anyway thanks guys for your information thoughts and comments. I am going to try and buy it from the dealer, they have first chance to buy the cars turned in at their store. My feeling is they will want too much for it, their cars seem to be priced on the higher end of the spectrum.

I will post up if I make a deal with them. I am not in a hurry to buy one as they keep decreasing in value as the months go by.
So you want to go through the buyback with a tuned and emissions deleted car, then buy the same car back later after it has been fixed, with the hope of coming out ahead of the game?

I would say the chance of that happening is slim to none. They can only sell previously bought back cars after they have been fixed, and in this case, that would be expensive due to missing hardware that is not part of the fix but has to be put back to stock (costing $ over and above the cost of the fix). That tips the balance towards this car being crushed rather than fixed and sold ...

I wouldn't say there is no chance of this happening but I would say that the chance is pretty slim. You might be able to buy a similar car (one which didn't need to be put back to stock, because it already was stock), just probably not that particular one.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sounds like he plans to put the factory equipment back on the car before handing it in.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Long as you haven't swapped the map sensor it should be fine to just drive it in. VW will just be re-flashing it anyway.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
If you haven't upgraded the Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor to accommodate the turbo upgrade, you can drive it in on stock parts and upgraded tune just fine. Which makes perfect sense, come to think of it.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
I didn't install the stage3 hardware so I don't know what all is involved. I am assuming the upgraded sensor is necessary for the upgraded turbo.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No, it isn't required. There really isn't much to be gained by pushing that turbo beyond 29 psi anyhow. Just leave whatever sensor is on there and you'll be fine.

scow1

TDI
10 Sportwagen TDI
Looking for conformation that my 2013 golf with a stage3 tune will be drive-able after reinstalling the stock turbo & dpf.

It would be a 6mi drive from the house to the dealer and my thoughts are that if I drive it gently it will run just fine.
You will have no issues. I had a stage 3 tune and trans tune on my wagen when it was returned back to stock "stock exhaust and turbo put back on" for VW buyback. Drove it 80 miles with no lights or issues. Felt just like stock tdi.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the help guys, I couldn't think of a reason there wouldn't be a problem.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone know if I need to reattach the heater hoses to the exhaust system? I don't know the name of the part and I can't attach a picture of it. If it has to be re-plumbed what size heater hose is it?

TIA
Edit...hose is 3/4"

Last edited: