Are they really worth it

Refiner

TDI
2003 Jetta, Grey
Have over 3000km on my new 2003 jetta, I must say I'm wondering, should I have got this car. First was the window on the drivers side falling out of the clamps and falling into the door. Second the car does not stay very warm in the cold(-30c) lots of rattles. I love things about it, but I'm really wondering. Does anyone eles feel this way?

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)
Refiner:

I'm surprised to hear about your problems - especially the rattles. I've had quite a few VW's over the years (most recently a '95 Golf, '97 Jetta, '99 Jetta, and '02 Golf) and all of the cars have been trouble-free and rattle free.

The window problem is well known and well documented, VW has a service bulletin out for fixing it. Concerning the cold, I think what you are encountering is that the car takes a long time to warm up in the cold, not that it does not stay warm. The new TDI engines are so darn fuel efficient that they don't generate much excess heat during the first 20 minutes of operation. Dawson Creek ain't the warmest place in the country this time of year. You might want to consider getting an in-line coolant heater for the car, to give you faster cabin temperature warmups.

About your rattles, document them carefully and take the list and the car back to your dealer - they should be able to fix them all for you.

Sorry to hear you are off to a bad start, hope it improves soon for you. They really are great cars.

Michael

saabguru

Veteran Member
Sure they're worth it. I just finished another flawless trip from Austin, Texas to Reno, Nevada in my 1998 Jetta TDi. Lots of power, averaged about 44 MPG, and no speeding tickets! I love mine- wish I could find a Passat TDi, very lo miles.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
sometimes I wonder if its worth it to even have a car--any car.
I spend 50% of my time worrying about, reading about, working on, driving in, thinking about, and contemplating mods for my car and I spend the same percentage of my money maintaining, fueling, and buying tools and mods for my car.
I should just move to Blanco TX, where I work, and get a bike.

BTW, I've got the rattles too. and you should hear my boost gauge BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Just turn up the stereo.

Dubbs

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat,96,Blue
sometimes I wonder if its worth it to even have a car--any car.
I spend 50% of my time worrying about, reading about, working on, driving in, thinking about, and contemplating mods for my car and I spend the same percentage of my money maintaining, fueling, and buying tools and mods for my car.
I should just move to Blanco TX, where I work, and get a bike.
I moved closer to work and I ride my bike to work just about every day. About a mile to work (good exercise). I still love my car though.

BTW, I've got the rattles too. and you should hear my boost gauge BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Just turn up the stereo.
All you need to do is put an aquarium valve or a small filter inline to your boost gauge and it should clear up your rattle. It did on mine.

cage

Top Post Dawg
Read an article about rattles etc. It stated that since cars are getting quieter and quieter people are obsessing over rattles more and more. They used to be drowned out by road, wind, and engine noise. My car make all kinds of little noises while in motion none of which are bothersome. It hasn't developed any more than it had and infact I think it has worked a few out from when it was new.

cage

Top Post Dawg
Oh one other thing. Of course they are worth it. Each morning one of the simple joys in my otherwise average life is knowing I get to jump in my Beetle and DRIVE to work.

DieselDriver2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle GLS 5spd
I have been an avid reader of Cosumer Reports and they say that recent survey indicates quality has fallen to a point where they can no longer recommend it; especially on the 2002 and 2003 models of Golf, Jetta, NB. I have to agree with them because last year, after reporting a total loss on my '98 Jetta GLX (with lots of mods of course), I opted to get a more fuel efficient car and decided to get a new '02 Golf GLS TDI 5-speed. Some of the things I noticed after racking-up 16K miles was: 1) deformed front vent grill, instead of looking a straigt 1 from right to left, it looked like a w (it was really annoying). 2) Car would squeak each very ofter when I go over large bumps, 3) Windows would come back down after it has been fully closed, 4) Engine would rattle a lot during idling (first I thought it was the way TDI's were designed). Other than that, I liked the car and I really miss the 5-speed quickness and the mileage I get out of a tank. One time, I had gotten over 690+ miles on a sigle tank before I realized I did not want to get stuck on a highway with a red gas tank

I recently bought a used '01 Jetta GLS TDI with all the option available except the digital information console and fog lights. I probably add those items in the future and boy, what a difference! It rides like my '01 Passat - smooth and refined. Much better than the Golf except no matter how slow I drive on the highway, I am getting only about 41 mpg - whereas the Golf gave me over 53!!!

Dr. Dotgain

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 TDI GL 5-speed
Refiner,
Rattle in rear could be trunk not fully closed. Does the trunk lock click one second after you slam it, and does car chirp when you lock it? If ans 'no' to both, slam the trunk harder and your rattle is gone. Trunk gasket has to 'break-in' (compression-set).

EVONELLY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Touareg TDI
Hey Refiner don't worry about the car. You just had some bad luck with that window but it is fixed now. As for the car not staying warm then why don't you invest $100 on the zero start coolant heater or an interior car heater. I know that it gets pretty cold up there in Dawson Creek but not cold like it used to get. I live in Prince George and I park my car in a garage and plug it in all the time during the winter at work.
You'll love the car in the spring, summer and fall especially if you have the moon roof.
By the way if you ever go through P.G. E-mail me before hand and I'll get a couple people together for a GTG.
Later.