2014 Jetta or Passat?

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Hi all. I am posting this in both the Jetta and Passat forum so I can get input from both sides of the field.

I currently have a 2005 TDI Jetta with 177,000 miles on it. I was looking into getting a new Jetta or Passat TDI 6 speed. I happened to ask the salesman when the 2014's would come out and he said late spring which is late May/June.

I had two questions:

Which model do you prefer Jetta/Passat and why such as the advantages/disadvantages between the two?

Will there be any upgrades or advantages to waiting for the 2014 model and will it come in late spring such as the salesman said? I feel he wasn't super informed and well versed in the platforms as perhaps other salespeople would be.

If you had any questions for me and my preference, I'd like something larger than my 2005 Jetta which I know that both vehicles are. I would lean toward the Passat as it is larger and the fuel economy, somehow, is better although only by 1mpg than the Jetta. Go figure.

Thanks.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
Passat is better.

I drove the Jetta as a loaner, and it isn't as nice as my Passat.

BTW, the Passat has better mileage.

Much bigger car, safer car (twice as heavy as Jetta), better mpg, and only $3K more than the Jetta.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
The newer Jetta has been criticized for being inferior to the earlier model. This criticism seems to be universal...cheaper feel, beam axle, although larger than your 2005.

Similar criticism of the new NMS Passat vs. previous, but not as universal.

Best to drive both, and you decide. Passat: better MPG, much larger, more American ride than before.

FYI: TDI2000Zim is exaggerating, of course, when he says the Passat is twice as heavy as the Jetta.

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
It will depend how’s your pocket deep is? Passat cost more, a little more maintenance. Do you want to buy or lease? Do you need a larger vehicle?
You are leasing Passat, but no money down. It’s useless to money down except tax and title. I would keep old Jetta or sale it myself. And have a good vacation or pay off bills if any.

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I was thinking of a new car because of maintenance on the Jetta. I started to think about what the cost/benefit would be to keep the car as getting a car ten more years advanced on technology might outweigh the advantage to keeping the Jetta.

I am leaning Passat. I googled a 2014 Passat and came across that the 2015 would be a redesign?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
In my opinion, the Passat is worth the extra money over the Jetta. Very happy with our decision to buy one.

Jackpot01

TDI
13 Passat TDI SEL
I was thinking of a new car because of maintenance on the Jetta. I started to think about what the cost/benefit would be to keep the car as getting a car ten more years advanced on technology might outweigh the advantage to keeping the Jetta.

I am leaning Passat. I googled a 2014 Passat and came across that the 2015 would be a redesign?

I hope that someone out there can answer the 2015 redesign rumor. Is it just going to be a refresh(Trim, Lights, Interior) or total redesign?

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
I went from an '06 Jetta to a '13 Passat and couldn't be happier with that choice. My only gripe would be that I prefer the handling of the Jetta over the Passat, but it is a minor issue.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Both passat and jetta have been dumbed down. Look at the selling prices vs older model. The JSW is the lone model remaining with the older quality build. Passat uses ad-blue with its issues,so put that into the equation. I think you get a lot of car for the money on the newer model,but it is different than the older VWs.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
showdown 42: Please clarify, "...uses ad-blue with its issues..." I know of no AdBlue issues.

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
06 pkg 1 Jetta 191k w/Malone Stage 2

You will never be better off with a new car vis a vis expenses. If your Jetta is paid off, then all you've got to worry about is operational expenses (fuel, tires, repairs,etc.) plus insurance.

With the new unit, that monthly nut (whatever the amount is depending on buy/lease) is a total recurring expense until paid off or turned in. Plus if you lease your insurance will be higher than if you purchase; but never the less will be much higher than what you are paying now b/c of the increased replacement cost should your vehicle be a total loss as a result of an accident.

If you must buy "new" find a CPO or a manufacture buy back to save mucho dinero. The buy backs are required by law to be fixed and still come with the "as new" warranty. I've heard of people gaming the system just b/c they didn't like the car after living with it a while, and taking it in for a psuedo fault that never could be replicated at the dealer! You will be saving b/c as soon as a new car is driven off the lot, it is depreciated the most.

Last edited:

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
I guess he meant the gelling effect,I read only couple instances about this from Canada owners, but I don't believe in that because it has heater and it could be a fuel as well.

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Aprilia, I appreciate the input. Again I'm not totally sure on the new car deal but it's the way I was leaning. I bought the car back in October '04 so I've had it that long. I've replaced both front wheel bearings, the idler pulley, all four brakes/rotors, and the clutch. Currently I think I need to have the rear wheel bearings and I have that MIL code for the sensor that's built into the turbocharger. That repair has been quoted to me at $2000 which I feel may be the deal breaker on the car. Unfortunately my hand is forced to make a move as my state inspection is up and as long as I have the MIL light it's an automatic failure. I started to look at what a new car would cost and encountered this scenario which is why I raised the question to the group.

asolo

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I moved up from '09 Jetta. Passat has better/roomier seats front and back. It's longer and wider and quieter. Longer wheelbase gives more comfortable ride. Same short turning circle and similar mpg. It's a superior car in every way, IMHO. Eight trouble-free months so far.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
We went from an 06 Jetta to the 13 Passat and couldn't be happier. We loved the Jetta and it returned 48 MPG over its 38K miles with us, we just outgrew it. I am 6'8" and the rear seat behind me is useless for anything other than groceries. Not so in the Passat, which in the first 3600 miles has returned a very respectable 46 MPG, with a low of 44 and a high of 48. I expect it to be a 50+ MPG car this summer, and hopefully it will average the 48 MPG the Jetta returned.

AdBlue is a non issue so far.

speedtek

TDI
2013 Passat Highline
Adblue is a pile of crap, I can't wait for a tune or emulator that will bypass this absolutely awful system.:mad:
I have owned my 2013 for a grand total of 3 weeks, during which time it has been in the shop twice now to repair the Adblue system. I keep getting the warning with xxx kms left until no start. First time dealer cleared the codes and later replaced the Adblue injector which diagnostics indicated was faulty. 5 days later, light and alarm came on again and wouldn't go away (it had previously) along with the check engine. Car is back in the shop again, hopefully they will come up with a proper solution this time. I spoke with the general manager and sales manager of my VW dealer and they were VERY supportive in ensuring this gets resolved. We shall see.....

mafrif

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 6MT
I bought the passat for three reasons
1. It's big, I was looking at minivans and SUV's. I felt I could compromise on size a little for the benefit of much better fuel economy.
2. I wanted the adblue system. I believe SCR systems will have extended engine life over non-SCR
3. The mileage was better then the Jetta, mainly from the SCR addition.

I'm happy with my purchase.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Adblue is a pile of crap, I can't wait for a tune or emulator that will bypass this absolutely awful system.:mad:
I have owned my 2013 for a grand total of 3 weeks, during which time it has been in the shop twice now to repair the Adblue system. I keep getting the warning with xxx kms left until no start. First time dealer cleared the codes and later replaced the Adblue injector which diagnostics indicated was faulty. 5 days later, light and alarm came on again and wouldn't go away (it had previously) along with the check engine. Car is back in the shop again, hopefully they will come up with a proper solution this time. I spoke with the general manager and sales manager of my VW dealer and they were VERY supportive in ensuring this gets resolved. We shall see.....
Sorry you're having issues, but you're like... one of two people on this site to experience what you describe. Hopefully VW gets your problems resolved quickly and you have many trouble-free miles in the future.

speedtek

TDI
2013 Passat Highline
Sorry you're having issues, but you're like... one of two people on this site to experience what you describe. Hopefully VW gets your problems resolved quickly and you have many trouble-free miles in the future.
Yeah, I hear ya. I wasn't entirely convinced that a car with adblue system was the way to go in the first place....this certainly hasn't dispelled the feeling. I was actually surprised to see that there doesn't seem to be any others with the same problem. Like I mentioned in my thread on this, my buddy's friend purchased a Passat TDI the week after me from a different dealer and he also has the issue.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If your Jetta is in good cosmetic condition and you like it, I'd vote for investing in it and keeping it. Look at it this way: as soon as you drive any new car off the lot it depreciates several thousand dollars. That money is gone forever, as is the sales tax, fees, and increased insurance costs associated with a new car. People often think about the value in spending money in a car that's not worth a lot, but I don't think that's a good way to look at the equation. A car is an expense, either new or used. Costs are lower with older cars. You have the ideal used car: one you've owned.

I don't know where you're located but if you have a good TDI guru nearby (or even not so nearby) you can save a lot over the repair costs you quote. I think you should be able to buy and have a turbo replaced for $1200-1300. Your car may also be due for a timing belt and/or camshaft, which could run another $1000 or so. But if you do that work, make sure the suspension is in good shape, and have it detailed you'll enjoy the car for years to come with (most likely) no more problems than you would have with a new car. And at far less cost.

I feel the A4 platform cars are the best of VWs. I like my '02 better than any other TDI I've owned. And I feel it's worth every penny I spend on it. Just my .02.

knighthawk

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE w/Sunroof
Because of an auto accident we totaled our 2012 Jetta TDI Premium w/Sunroof and replaced it with a 2013 Passat TDI SE.

Jetta: Sportier ride, much firmer. Includes a better radio and MDI cable. Better visibility. About $3k cheaper than the Passat we purchased.

Passat: Softer ride, better on highway. Seats are more comfortable. Mileage marginally better. MUCH Better MFI. Huge trunk and interior space. Auto headlights. Auto dimming rear view mirror.

My wife is the primary driver and says that although she misses her Jetta she likes the Passat better and feels safer in it.

Ptplayers

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL 6M with sports package
I Had a 2012 Jetta TDI and after writing it off after 2 months made the mistake of renting a Passat and could not go back to the jetta .

bentnosewillie

TDI
2013 NMS Passat, 6 spd, Opera Red
I just traded my 2003 Jetta TDI. We started out looking at a new Jetta, but ended up in a 2013 Passat. At $2500 more and only 100 kg heavier, it's more comfortable and has amazing rear-seat space for our growing kids.

Jetta definitely has a slightly sportier feel, but the Passat is more than competent enough for my needs, and I love the smoother ride. I also find the seats a little more comfy. I spend 10-12 hours a week commuting, and I want those hours to be pleasant ones :)

CT_Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Jetta Sport, 2011 Golf TDI 6MT 2 door - GONE, 2013 Passat DSG SE w/sunroof - GONE
You will never be better off with a new car vis a vis expenses. If your Jetta is paid off, then all you've got to worry about is operational expenses (fuel, tires, repairs,etc.) plus insurance.

With the new unit, that monthly nut (whatever the amount is depending on buy/lease) is a total recurring expense until paid off or turned in. Plus if you lease your insurance will be higher than if you purchase; but never the less will be much higher than what you are paying now b/c of the increased replacement cost should your vehicle be a total loss as a result of an accident.

If you must buy "new" find a CPO or a manufacture buy back to save mucho dinero. The buy backs are required by law to be fixed and still come with the "as new" warranty. I've heard of people gaming the system just b/c they didn't like the car after living with it a while, and taking it in for a psuedo fault that never could be replicated at the dealer! You will be saving b/c as soon as a new car is driven off the lot, it is depreciated the most.
What you say is true, but what is the enjoyment of a new car, without repair needs (hopefully), worth to you? Also, I got a 0% loan from VW on my Passat, so no carrying costs. In my case the new Passat was for my wife, and as they say; "if mamma ain't happy, nobody's happy!" :)

enh08109

TDI
2005 Jetta (early)
Like Laymaster, I have a 2005 5speed TDI with 177,000. I just ordered a 2013 PASSAT TDI SE (sunroof / DSG auto), which I'll take delivery of in a couple days.

Loved the ride in the PASSAT and the legroom will keep my kids happy on extended road trips. Seats much more comfortable for my 75 mile r/t daily commute too! Hate giving up the manual, but my wife wants her turn behind the wheel. Plus, 90% of my driving is highway - probably why I'm still on the original clutch!

The 05 is still in good shape, but I can see a timing belt, strut bushings, brakes and maybe a clutch being needed in the next year or two.

Being able to get the PASSAT for 1K under invoice along with VoA loyalty ($500), 0% and 1st month's payment ($500)- I couldn't say no!!

Hope the market for my used TDI is strong!

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
We went from an 06 Jetta to the 13 Passat and couldn't be happier. We loved the Jetta and it returned 48 MPG over its 38K miles with us, we just outgrew it. I am 6'8" and the rear seat behind me is useless for anything other than groceries. Not so in the Passat, which in the first 3600 miles has returned a very respectable 46 MPG, with a low of 44 and a high of 48. I expect it to be a 50+ MPG car this summer, and hopefully it will average the 48 MPG the Jetta returned.

AdBlue is a non issue so far.

I don't get this outgrew it argument. If you go from a Jetta to a Minivan because you have so many kids....ok then. But to go from a Jetta to a Passat to get the extra inch between people in the back seat....? That doesn't make sense to me. It just seems like trying to justify getting the Passat. If you like it more then get it but honestly I've driven both and room difference isn't enough to justify the thousands of dollars difference between the two cars.

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Enh I have a deal worked out right now which gets me 3k for my trade in which is pretty good. I scoffed at the trade in offers for 500-750 from the dealerships. I think there is a good market for commuters looking for this type of car. I decided for the lower trim Passat because a manual transmission is a must for me.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I don't get this outgrew it argument. If you go from a Jetta to a Minivan because you have so many kids....ok then. But to go from a Jetta to a Passat to get the extra inch between people in the back seat....? That doesn't make sense to me. It just seems like trying to justify getting the Passat. If you like it more then get it but honestly I've driven both and room difference isn't enough to justify the thousands of dollars difference between the two cars.
Most adults are not happy sitting behind another adult in a A4 platform VW. The rear seat is very small. I'm short and have spent an extraordinary amount of my life in coach airline seats but I still find the rear seat in my wagon on the snug side. And my kids complained bitterly once they got to their full height, and we're smaller than average these days. It's not width as much as head and legroom.