The "What did you do to your B4 today" thread...

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
PD130 intake bead blasted and then anodized wih a clear coat. We expected a gunmetal gray, but I'm okay with middle gray. I bought it from Cerber who has since been banned. Contact RyanP if you want one. You'll also need a shorter EGR than the one you see else it'll make for some "interesting" times trying to fit on you IC piping. Trouble is, the EGR is about 150 shipped...

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Got my B4 almost finished

Very much stock looking under the hood to normal people.
GT1749VB off a PD150, Bosio DLC1019 in fresh bodies balanced, blueprinted, VR6 clutch, 02 GTi shifter swap with DG Sigman shifter, stock intercooler for now (running out of time to get the front mount on). VDO EGT, boost and oil psi, TDTunning Stage 3+ ECU upgrade, Milltek down pipe with 2.5" turbo back. Stainless lines for oil etc. Can't wait to drive it ! Got few lil things to finish up on it....
Maybe over winter I will throw on a FMIC and a 11mm pump that I got laying around. Upgrade the gearing to something taller as I drive on the highways a bunch.

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
Note to self, next time in Nobleboro, find Audi R12.
Somehow I doubt they'll leave the keys in the ignition. :D

Did too!
Last summer there was one in the marina parking lot, in Southwest Harbor (where I work), key in it all the time. This summer, same guy, different car, Mercedes 500 S class, keys in it.

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
96TDI Passat, 1.6 81d caddy, 86d golf, 82d rabbit, 81ALH caddy, 82 Westy
Took the ragged insulator off from under the hood. Was looking bad. Washed and polished the underside of the hood. Removed the torn e-brake leather cover. Noticed the top of the valve cover was leaking some oil around the round vent cover. Hopefully the new vac lines will be here soon and replace them all!

Ralphy

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI sedan, 1997, silver, ABS
Bodyshop time! Some photos of the worst rust areas on my B4:

One of the worst place is under the backwindow seal:

[

Left back door:

Under the left fender (that will be replaced by an OEM):

Under the scraper seal, not so bad yet...:

Under the backwindow again:

The base of the A pillar; we needed to remove the windshield and the fender to have room to repair; and a good time to remove and repair the headliner while there's no windshield:

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Finally have a 2.5" exhaust. Had to get it tweaked after it was installed because it sagged and was occasionally making contact with my power steering rack. Teeth rattling... Got a good deal too @ 400 for a 2.5" DP w/ wastegate bypass and then 2.5" all of the way back. I provided a Magnaflow CAT and a Aero Turbine 2.5" muffler. Oh man it's so much quieter!

dok

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V
Finally have a 2.5" exhaust. Had to get it tweaked after it was installed because it sagged and was occasionally making contact with my power steering rack. Teeth rattling... Got a good deal too @ 400 for a 2.5" DP w/ wastegate bypass and then 2.5" all of the way back. I provided a Magnaflow CAT and a Aero Turbine 2.5" muffler. Oh man it's so much quieter!
Who did you purchase the DP and exhaust from?

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It was custom made. DMC, Discount Muffler Center, over in La Verne just North West of the Fairplex. Let them know Michael referred you. They cut me a deal since I was referred by FSR (the shop where we have the Dyno Day at). The owner, Higinio, and Chris, who I'm guessing is kinda the 2nd in command, are pretty nice guys.

I got the GT-15 flange and a cone to go up to 2.5" from Whitbread, the 6" flex pipe is one from Vibrant , the cat is a Magnaflow 93006D, and the muffler I had shipped to my place. All of these are on top of the DP & Exhaust that I bought at other points in time.

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
I noticed some oil on the top of the intake manifold. Think it may be coming from the valve cover breather or maybe the EGR valve. Any ideas on this? Causes and solutions?

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
It was custom made. DMC, Discount Muffler Center, over in La Verne just North West of the Fairplex. Let them know Michael referred you. They cut me a deal since I was referred by FSR (the shop where we have the Dyno Day at). The owner, Higinio, and Chris, who I'm guessing is kinda the 2nd in command, are pretty nice guys.

I got the GT-15 flange and a cone to go up to 2.5" from Whitbread, the 6" flex pipe is one from Vibrant , the cat is a Magnaflow 93006D, and the muffler I had shipped to my place. All of these are on top of the DP & Exhaust that I bought at other points in time.

Higinio's a good guy! They welded up a transition cone/dp that Matt made for me on my jeep turbo, but they did it all on the car and they welded onto the flex. Matt wasn't happy about that one. It can't be fun to do it on the car, so hopefully they did a better job than they did on mine. You need to show us!

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, they welded it while on my car. Welded the flex pipe too. I spotted the remains of 3 welding wires when I was looking over the whole thing, but that is cosmetic. Everything else looked pretty solid. Since I cannot raise the car all of the way up on a lift, it's hard to have a whole look at the exhaust.

Tomorrow when the car is cold I need to check something. I'm hearing a possible exhaust leak :(. Since they didn't properly clear my power steering rack, I took it back, they heated part of the DP up and bent it up. I think a weld might have cracked as well.

The car really is smooth now with the exhaust. Now I just have engine noise. I don't mind the diesel sound, I just want it quieter ;). I'm happy to show it, though you know how much I love closing/late shifts (I'm posting at almost 02:30 and I'm not tired). Want me to stop by tomorrow though? I can be at your place around 1pm.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I noticed some oil on the top of the intake manifold. Think it may be coming from the valve cover breather or maybe the EGR valve. Any ideas on this? Causes and solutions?
There is a small hole under the housing of the EGR vacuum actuator called a weep hole. Clean up this area and on the valve cover and then drive around for about 100 mi. If it is your weep hole, it'll be seeping a touch by then. It rarely sprays unless the diaphragm is toast (Someone correct me if I'm wrong here). Most likely it is the grommet (idparts) holding the CCV puck or the CCV puck (idparts) itself. I'll place my bets on the grommet first.

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks DC. Cleaned it good and drove it for 20 or so miles and there is oil already on it again. Went ahead and ordered a grommet, n75 valve and more vac lines. Think the intake needs to be taken off and gunk cleaned? Previous owner was not much of a owner!!

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Most likely you will need to clean the intake manifold. Makes a difference on the top end (>3250) and low end torque (2000<). However, you should try as best as you can to not drive it slower than 1500 RPM when in 1st-3rd, 1750 in 4th & 5th.

Don't expect any really noticeable power gains. You'll notice a bit freer reving and a reduction in smoke. On a stock setup, it still flows plenty of air to burn the available fuel. I went from a clogged (moderately, nothing too bad) to a PD130 intake which can flow enough air for 200 hp (so I hear) and only noticed freer reving and less smoke ;).

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh and it's just odd engine noises I can hear now that the exhaust is quiet. No big deal about a major exhaust leak. It's small and not even a drop of water would fit through it.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Got a great deal on some Moda by BBS 16s. Tires are a bit small but they are new...

Suspension hasn't settled in after I got the car down. Hopefully the car will be alive this week.

WINDSORB4TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
LOOKING
Spent a whole day working on the beast:

Replaced both outer tie rods.
Replaced both ball joints.
Cleaned calipers, brackets, and rotor hubs and painted black.
Removed and painted wiper cowl and wiper arms black.
Replaced Timing belt, tensioner, idler, cam seal, intermediate shaft seal, and water pump.

Tired now. May try to tackle pulling the headliner board out to get it recovered tomorrow. Or pull the steering column to replace ignition electrical switch.

Still need to depin the backup switch plug to repair broken wire :(

Vince

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Finally got all three cars in the garage after moving to the new place. Been parking the B4V in the street because it is the worst oil leaker. Next goal is to get all the Passat parts boxes sorted out. Then we start to fix the various oil leaks, it means putting the Passat on jack stands for a few days while we trace the leaks.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Timing belt coming due in <2 weeks. About 1000miles short of 60K...So far, the car has almost paid for itself!

Starting to think about a little hot rodding..nozzles and a tune maybe in order this spring.

Tony

dok

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V
Time to install a new clutch. Resurfaced the 1Z flywheel and purchased Sachs VR6 PP and disk. Fun weekend ahead.

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice looking wheels and car DasTeknoViking. What size tires did you go with? Mine are from tire rack sport tuning15" 5 spoke. I would like a low pro tire.

(Digital Corpus) I replaced the grommet under the puck and all vac lines, cleaned airbox, new air filter and cab filter. Went to advance autoparts got codes from ck engine light. Looked them up on ross-tech list. Said p1248 ck inj timing start, fuel supply, or N108 valve. What is this n018? Also the code p0605 said replace the control module. Not sure what this does also. I wish Bentley would print some more manuals. I have no books.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Tires are too small, I scored a killer deal on these wheels: 5 rims n tires. Tires are too small, 205-40-16. I'm gonna try running 215-50-16 on it I think. Rims are wider than the tires so I think it should work. On top of that with 23psi of PD150 turbo goodies plus nozzles and pump work... The wider tires will come very handy.

I'm just glad I got a spare tire finally !

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
Replaced lower radiator hose and refilled coolant system. The slow leak I had finally got not so slow, so I finally had to locate the leak and fix it.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
(Digital Corpus) I replaced the grommet under the puck and all vac lines, cleaned airbox, new air filter and cab filter. Went to advance autoparts got codes from ck engine light. Looked them up on ross-tech list. Said p1248 ck inj timing start, fuel supply, or N108 valve. What is this n018? Also the code p0605 said replace the control module. Not sure what this does also. I wish Bentley would print some more manuals. I have no books.
I'll have to look up those when I get home. While you wait, search each code in the forum. I bet the p0605 code is just meaning that the rubber hose in the ECU that is a jumper to the MAP sensor, needs replacing. Did you replace it when you did your vac lines?

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Not sure about the control module, but I did replace the short vac hose in the ecu. I will do some more research.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Got a spare center console and went to town on it:

Now I gotta rip into the car and since I'm doing my 02A/J shifter upgrade I will put these in and upgrade the HVAC bulbs

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Tires are too small, I scored a killer deal on these wheels: 5 rims n tires. Tires are too small, 205-40-16. I'm gonna try running 215-50-16 on it I think. Rims are wider than the tires so I think it should work. On top of that with 23psi of PD150 turbo goodies plus nozzles and pump work... The wider tires will come very handy.

I'm just glad I got a spare tire finally !
The 205/45/16 is the correct size, but looked a little small on my car, so I went with 205/50/16 and they look great, they're just 3.7% taller, so the speedo is dead-on. I ran the 215/45/16 and they were also just the right size, but it's hard to find them in that off-size without coughing up some $$$.

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Still searching some. a local vdub mechanic has some odd hrs and my work schedule is very difficult to get over there. Lug_Nut on here thinks it could be a stuck open wastegate or worn turbo. It could very well be both. I am gonna try and get a Bentley on DVD. Will keep you posted on the gremlins.