LEDs bulbs for MKIV Jetta

darkmanCANADA

TDI
2001 ALH
I already have ZIZA LEDs in my side markers from ECS Tuning which are really bright. I tried some $5 ones from the local parts store but they were actually dimmer than the $1 incandescent bulbs. If so best place to buy (7506 for brake, turn & backup and 5007 for tail light) and which part numbers did you get ? I haved looked at:

www.autolumination.com
www.superbrightleds.com
www.v-leds.com

Also what is the proper switchback LED replacement for for the front signal lights which I believe is a 3457?

bpogi

TDI
2000 Golf GLS
tothemax, I assume you've already done this?

How do you avoid the rapid turn signal flashing with the LEDs?

bpogi

TDI
2000 Golf GLS
I got the 24 LED module (18 facing rearward, 6 radially outward) from superbrightleds.com, which is probably the largest module they have that will fit through the hole in the tail light housing, to replace the brake light. The brake light is actually very slightly dimmer than the incandescent it replaces, but it's a more vivid red and it illuminates immediately. I think the quicker illumination outweighs the slight drop in brightness.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
How do you avoid the rapid turn signal flashing with the LEDs?

You can get load resistors from Superbrightleds.com : http://www.superbrightleds.com/pdfs/load_resistor_info.pdf

The link is the installation instructions. You can find the resistors at the bottom of the same web page as the LED lights for 12V applications.

I soldered them into all four turn signals and my LED brake lights. No more rapid turn signal, and no more glowplug dash indicator and loss of cruise when attached to the brakes.

Last edited:

AstroEng

TDI
2012 Passat TDI, 2005 Golf TDI (Sold)
FYI: I grabbed some "Jam Strait" 1156R Red LEDs for my burned out tail lights from Autozone. They work great except for one problem: they do not fit through the holes in the plastic lens. You can squeeze them (gently) through and they will fit, but when you go to pull the assembly off to change any other bulbs, it pops right out. I have to go and fish it out of the lens cap in the morning... :-(

I may order some other ones from one of the sites listed in this thread.

sparkycivic

TDI
90 jetta IDI TD
if they blink too fast, you can just change the flasher relay to a different one right?
my MkII did that and I bought a relay that says "4-6 LED" on it... back to normal blinking after that ;)

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
I am contemplating converting my rear tail lights over to LEDs on my 2002 VW jetta TDI. I have (4) 21 watt incandescent bulbs and (1) 5 watt bulb in each tail light assembly. One of the four 21 watt incandescent bulbs is yellow/orange so I will use a 3 watt yellow/orange LED for that one. All other LEDs on the tail lights are red. For my brake light I will use a 5 watt red led and the others will be 3 watt LEDs. I will be using appropriately rated constant current LED drivers for all bulbs and not the resistor based circuits that are extremely wasteful IMHO. My question is that with the wattage of LEDs do you all think they will be bright enough?
I don't want dim bulbs!!-especially the brake lights that's why I'm going for the 5 watt red LEDs on those. I choose a wavelength of Red LED that should be comparable to the red tail light lens/filter so I am hoping that the lower wattage LED with appropriate wavelength will be allowed to easily pass through increasing visibility while decreasing electrical consumption at the same time. I will also be fabricating a custom heat pipe based cooler to passively remove heat from the LEDs so I get max light output while retaining bulb longevity.
With the constant current drivers and all LEDs needed it will be about $52.00 and take about a month to come from China. I don't mind putting in the time to put it together electrically and also to create the LED cooler assembly. I am getting darn tired of changing these incandescent bulbs and chasing intermittent connection gremlins on my vehicles external lighting so this should reduce my long term maintenance demands:D. For reference, do the drop in LED replacement bulbs with relatively low wattage give the same visual effect as the standard incandescent bulbs? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
So far I have only been able to run a 1156 equivalent LED Single intensity 3 X 2W high power bulb in red as a tail light. This is because of the flasher issue and the brake switch issue which throws a CEL when you try to use LED brake lights.
This bulb is VERY bright and much stronger than the stock incandescent bulbs. I had a similar version I tried to use as a brake light and it too was more than adequate. It was the brake switch issue that spoiled that.

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
So far I have only been able to run a 1156 equivalent LED Single intensity 3 X 2W high power bulb in red as a tail light. This is because of the flasher issue and the brake switch issue which throws a CEL when you try to use LED brake lights.
This bulb is VERY bright and much stronger than the stock incandescent bulbs. I had a similar version I tried to use as a brake light and it too was more than adequate. It was the brake switch issue that spoiled that.
Good information there-thanks! I would guess that your 3 x 2W bulb with it's series resistors sapping power would be approximately as bright as a single 3 watt bulb that is constant current driven. This is just an assumption and needs to be proved in practice however. I really appreciate your input on this as it helps me verify whether or not I should proceed with ordering the 3 watt LEDs or bumping it to the 5 watt units. :)

I almost forgot, I will be taking the potential flasher issue as it comes. I may need to modify the flasher unit to compensate.

TDI Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Anyone of you know a part number or have info. on a LED flasher that will work with LED's that are CAN BUS wired? The only stumbling block I have encountered so far. These are very bright, but you need a compatible flasher...someone has to have done this...
1156 CAN Bus LED Bulb - Single Intensity 26 SMD LED Tower
See: http://www.superbrightleds.com
Did you see this flasher on the website?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...es/cf13gl-02-led-bulb-electronic-flasher/782/

It doesn't say anything about Can Bus, but I thought I would chime in.

Last edited:

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, the CF13GL-02 is correct but only for older German cars. It will not work for ALH 1999.5-early 2004 electrical. The OEM flasher behind the dash (emergency flasher button) has many more contacts than the CF flasher. I have not found anyone yet who has found a work around other than resistors tapped in but that is just too much buggering of the wires and requires a mounting area for heat dispersion.

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, the CF13GL-02 is correct but only for older German cars. It will not work for ALH 1999.5-early 2004 electrical. The OEM flasher behind the dash (emergency flasher button) has many more contacts than the CF flasher. I have not found anyone yet who has found a work around other than resistors tapped in but that is just too much buggering of the wires and requires a mounting area for heat dispersion.

I removed my flasher unit from the dash to get a cursory feel for what I might be modifying in the future after I do the LED/constant current driver modification. There are quite a few components on the board and quite a few contacts as mentioned before. I was surprised to see such a small flasher relay(Thermal flasher) on the board. Mine has a black colored relay that was about 3/4" x 1/2". quite a bit smaller than I am used to seeing. I am just guessing that it is an actual thermal flasher relay, but it is possible that it has some internal electrical components that adjust flashing speed based on current draw. Some of the other board components that include an IC may also perform that function too. Anyone have any ideas?

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Gosh, hope someone can solve this one. This would be a great custom flasher project for someone with the electronic skill set and fabrication shop. Think of all the ALH series cars (older and newer too) that could use a flasher swap out to allow the use of LED bulbs for turn and brake lights!

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
Gosh, hope someone can solve this one. This would be a great custom flasher project for someone with the electronic skill set and fabrication shop. Think of all the ALH series cars (older and newer too) that could use a flasher swap out to allow the use of LED bulbs for turn and brake lights!

Looking at the thermal relay in mine, the circuit board looks a bit tough to get to. I'm not sure how the whole thing comes apart, and since I currently use the one I was looking at, I didn't want to destroy it :) I may have to look at it again and see if I can remove the thermal relay. In fact, it may not be an actual thermal relay at all and may be driven by the IC that is on the board and flash rate may be controlled by current draw from bulbs.

loco_unoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta 5spd TDI Wagon
I just purchased the full 13pc interior LED bulb kit from DEAutokey as they just came back in stock. I can't wait to see the difference.

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI

TDI Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Take a look at this:
http://v-ledsblog.com/2010/12/02/how-to-modify-your-flasher-to-work-with-v-leds/
As it turns out, we have a metal resistor/hoop in our flasher unit. I'm not sure the value of ours, but I could guess that it may be between 1-2 Ohms. Maybe someone could experiment with one, and remove the hoop and solder a 5 or 10 watt 5 Ohms resistor in there.
Josh, Thanks for posting the article. Good read. I haven't seen our flasher unit before but I am going to install my headed seats harness soon so I will take a look at it. This seems like a very viable option.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes...this is very interesting. Thanks for posting it. Now for some investigation time.
If you get to it before me let us know what you find...

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
I'll be interested in what you folks find out.

I have LED backup lights but would like the others to be too, preferable without installing a heat sink for brake, turn, driving in my 01 Golf. From what I understand it should be relatively tollerant and was actually chasing down candidates tonight for the 1156 for instance. Amazing how folks conveniently don't include lumens in their specs.

Also head size to get it into our lenses can be an issue.

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes...this is very interesting. Thanks for posting it. Now for some investigation time.
If you get to it before me let us know what you find...

Here are a few photos of the inside of my particular flasher unit:

I will need to look through my junkbox and see what resistor values I have to experiment with. Not sure really what value I will need as far as wattage goes to use as a substitute for the U(Hoop) shaped metal piece. The website I posted says it compares the the circuit resistance to the value of the U/hoop and then bases flash rate on that to help indicate burned bulbs to the driver. The U/Hoop shaped piece is rather thick so hopefully it won't be in the 20-50 watt range-that would be just down right wasteful!

Last edited:

TDI Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Doesn't look like removing any material from the hoop while still soldered to the board is possible.

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
Doesn't look like removing any material from the hoop while still soldered to the board is possible.

I know :( But, on the upside I did find some 5 ohm 5-10 watt resistors that I might be able to try in place of the hoop. Perhaps tonight I can de-solder the hoop, and solder in my trial resistors. If it works I should be able to slow down blink rate considerably. Remember I still have the incandescent bulbs now, so I will just be looking to slow the flash rate which will indicate that this mod with the correct resistance value would work for the LED bulb upgrade.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
So is there no way to slide the board out of the flasher housing? If there is one could use dremel with a grinder wheel or cutter to remove material from the hoop.

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
So is there no way to slide the board out of the flasher housing? If there is one could use dremel with a grinder wheel or cutter to remove material from the hoop.

I ended up just cutting the metal hoop out of mine and soldered two flexible wires to the left over tabs from the metal hoop. I expected that hooking up a 5 ohm 10 watt resistor would cause the flashers to flash super slow and then I would dial the resistance value in from there. What actually occurred is that the flashers operated very erratically and the resistor got super hot-almost enough to let the factory smoke out:eek: I even tried to connect my short wires directly together which should have been similar in resistance value to the original hoop. The flashers worked but at a rate similar to what you would expect with a bulb out. Obviously there is more to the metal hoop structure than just a simple resistance value:eek: My next move is to experiment with some 33 Gage NiChrome wire I have to see if that will allow the proper flasher speed. I will post results after some experimentation over the next week.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)