Syndiesel

LGV2001

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2010 JSW
I just got in from a trip to pick up 8 drums and a 15 gal cube. I dumped the 15 gal in my Duramax. Could not tell any difference on power comming back mileage went up to 17.2 loaded from 16.5 pulling the empty 3k lb trailer. If you guys are interested the labels had the producers name and web page.

sebring96hbg

TDI
2006 Jetta
LGV2001 said:
I just got in from a trip to pick up 8 drums and a 15 gal cube. I dumped the 15 gal in my Duramax. Could not tell any difference on power comming back mileage went up to 17.2 loaded from 16.5 pulling the empty 3k lb trailer. If you guys are interested the labels had the producers name and web page.
Please post it. I am guessing Syntroleum's Catoosa demonstration facility, if not Shell.

LGV2001

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2010 JSW
I just went out to the truck with flash light and all I could find were the new Hyperfuel labels. Yesterday when loading I thought I saw the manufacturing data.
Another short note on hauling 55 gal drums. This is a HAZMAT material with a Flammable liquid ration of 3 (high flam) and there are many rules on transporting it. The Syn comes in 55 gal. plastic drums(23"X35") and you need a trailer with tall side boards to keep them from flying forward when you stop. I covered my 8 drums, secured them and hoped the DOT/HP did not stop me.

hpc

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec
How 'bout a form of a GB where groups buy 5-10-how many
drums and have them shipped to "central" locations around
the States. And the "selected" picker-uppers show up with the
U-Hauls and load the drums and off to the local GTG.

If I could get SynDiesel at something slightly more than B20
(in Indy, it's $4.29/gallon), I'd sacrifice some dining out money
to buy a few drums. I already have a AC-powered diesel pump
for fueling the Deere and the Grasshopper. The Deere requires lifting
the 5-gallon can up over the hood (chest high) to fill the tank. When you get
older, upper body strength drops like other bodily parts.

I could see the Bay Area guys; the DC folks; the Cinci guys; and
so forth going for this.

Thanks to DBW for the shipping info/idea.

Cheers,

Lonnie

sebring96hbg

TDI
2006 Jetta
Hey! Let us know if you get close to 70 mpg :D I am looking forward to user reports...

http://www.syntroleum.com/tech_fuel_tests.aspx

Syntroleum has been testing and evaluating fuels and specialties products for more than six years in pilot plant and demonstration facilities. While these tests ranged in both scope and variety, one message is clear; Syntroleum fuels deliver superior performance with outstanding quality.

For example, in one particular program, performance and emissions tests were conducted in Chrysler and Toyota motor vehicles. In these tests, Syntroleum liquid diesel delivered 72 MPG, met advanced emissions standards and showed no perceptible reduction in power or performance.

Under an additional program - - - sponsored by the Department of Energy - - - Syntroleum produced up to 150,000 gallons of various grades of diesel fuel and 10,000 gallons of synthetic jet fuel. This fuel has been evaluated by several laboratories under DOE contracts. The Massachusetts Institute of Technology conducted an extensive emissions program over three years looking at the inherent benefits of synthetic paraffin diesel fuels in modern emissions compliant engines. This work includes tuning the engine to perform optimally on synthetic diesel fuel. AVL Laboratories has conducted an extended duration durability test of Syntroleum using a DDC bus engine and Caterpillar 2004 compliant engine. Both engines completed a 1500 hour test cycle with no problems. These were the engines that were part of the field demonstrations program where Syntroleum was tested in transit bus service in Washington DC and in National Park Service use in Denali NP. No fuel related problems were observed.

In test after test, Syntroleum liquid diesel continues to deliver superior results, remarkable quality and outstanding performance.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
hpc said:
How 'bout a form of a GB where groups buy 5-10-how many
drums and have them shipped to "central" locations around
the States. And the "selected" picker-uppers show up with the
U-Hauls and load the drums and off to the local GTG.

If I could get SynDiesel at something slightly more than B20
(in Indy, it's $4.29/gallon), I'd sacrifice some dining out money
to buy a few drums. I already have a AC-powered diesel pump
for fueling the Deere and the Grasshopper. The Deere requires lifting
the 5-gallon can up over the hood (chest high) to fill the tank. When you get
older, upper body strength drops like other bodily parts.

I could see the Bay Area guys; the DC folks; the Cinci guys; and
so forth going for this.

Thanks to DBW for the shipping info/idea.

Cheers,

Lonnie
I would definitely be interested in getting to Nashville or Cincy to get some of this stuff. It would still have to beat we'll say $4.25 overall before I would go for it.

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
If some folks in any of the Cities around me (Atlanta, Asheville, Charlotte, Columbia, and so on...) want to do this, I'm game. I've got a "forklift" too. Well, a Bobcat with some forks and a weight kit on the back end, picks up some pretty hefty loads.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Anyone driving through Kansas City that can drop off a 55 gal. drum? Your costs will be covered and dinner is on me.:)

It shouldn't be too hard to roll a drum off a trailer or out of a pickup. Much easier than a a semi.

Bill

retmil46

TDI
'05 Jeep Liberty CRD, 87 MB 300D Turbo
TurbinePower said:
If some folks in any of the Cities around me (Atlanta, Asheville, Charlotte, Columbia, and so on...) want to do this, I'm game. I've got a "forklift" too. Well, a Bobcat with some forks and a weight kit on the back end, picks up some pretty hefty loads.
I'm 25 miles north of Charlotte, myself and another Jeep CRD owner in Charlotte are willing to give it a try, depending on what the details work out ot be.

Gent in Charlotte mentioned an idea - see if they would ship by rail to the nearest terminal, and then pick it up there.

I put a note over on TDR, in the SC Chapter Roundtable thread, to see if any of the Cummins owners are interested in a group buy.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Volkstraktor said:
It all sounded good until I went to their website and found out they are affiliated with Haliburton.:rolleyes::mad::(

And that makes a difference to you? Really?

I'll deal with them, or at least try. The problem is transportation costs for me.

Bill

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Dont buy it if you are thinking fuel economy improvement..Ain't gonna happen...

Its all about clean, with very low if any sulfur content, which concerns me about lubricity...

The smell is sweet...

I am very cautious to the lubricity angle, as it is very clean burning..

POWER IS SSSSMMMOOOOTTTHHH!!! The engine runs like it was designed to, No excessive clank it tee-clank. engine smoothed out, NO more Rough idle or stumble...

Quieter, jumps higher, runs overall better..I like it...

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Mach1 said:
Dont buy it if you are thinking fuel economy improvement..Ain't gonna happen...
Its all about clean, with very low if any sulfur content, which concerns me about lubricity...
The smell is sweet...
I am very cautious to the lubricity angle, as it is very clean burning..
POWER IS SSSSMMMOOOOTTTHHH!!! The engine runs like it was designed to, No excessive clank it tee-clank. engine smoothed out, NO more Rough idle or stumble...
Quieter, jumps higher, runs overall better..I like it...
It's a common misconception but sulfur is not and does not lubricate.
"Sulfur is not a lubricant, however the process used to reduce the Sulfur also reduces the fuel's lubricating properties. Lubricity is a measure of the fuel's ability to lubricate and protect the various parts of the engine's fuel injection system from wear. The processing required to reduce sulfur to 15 ppm also removes naturally-occurring lubricity agents in diesel fuel. To manage this change ASTM International (formerly the American Society for Testing and Materials) adopted the lubricity specification defined in ASTM D975 for all diesel fuels and this standard went into effect January 1, 2005. [8]
The refining process that removes the sulfur also reduces the aromatic content and density of the fuel, resulting in a minor decrease in the energy content, by about 1%. This decrease in energy content may result in reduced peak power and fuel economy".
I think this is where the confusion comes in. Its the process of removing sulfur that reduces the lubricity of the fuel not the sulfur itself. Apparently there are lots of replenish the lubricating qualities of the fuel after the sulfur has been taken out. This information came from here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-low_sulfur_diesel
And to be fair it was for D2, but I also found the process of making synthetic diesel from natural gas results in a loss of lubricity too.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think a 50% syndiesel, 30% dino, 20% bio would be an ideal track day blend. High cetane, high lubricity, btus from dino, and low smoke.

sebring96hbg

TDI
2006 Jetta
IndigoBlueWagon said:
I think a 50% syndiesel, 30% dino, 20% bio would be an ideal track day blend. High cetane, high lubricity, btus from dino, and low smoke.

Hiperfuels claim that its Syndiesel has 20,500 more BTUs per pound than dino diesel. That said, dino diesel should have about 19,000 BTUs per pound. If the claims are true, then Syndiesel would have twice the energy content as dino diesel on a per pound basis. Alternatively, Syndiesel may also be twice as efficient, but more conversion data is needed to compare gallons to gallons of both.

I do not know what GTL Mach1 is using since efficiency is mentioned. It could be a blend.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Hiperfuels claim that its Syndiesel has 20,500 more BTUs per pound than dino diesel. That said, dino diesel should have about 19,000 BTUs per pound. If the claims are true, then Syndiesel would have twice the energy content as dino diesel on a per pound basis. Alternatively, Syndiesel may also be twice as efficient, but more conversion data is needed to compare gallons to gallons of both.
If that is true then mpgs should be through the roof compared to D2?!

LGV2001

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2010 JSW
I just made my first road trip using hyperfuels Syndiesel. Mileage on my 2001 Golf, stock except for race pipe, flowmaster mufler, Spring 529's, amsoil bypass filter, and clutch upgrade remains 54 ish doing 70-75 cruise and A/C running.
I am running about a 50/50 D2/GTL mix. The engine runs smoother and by seat of the pants seems quicker.

LGV2001

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2010 JSW
Mach
I too am concerned with the lubricity of the Syndiesel. I have been using heavy dose of PS.
The main concern I have with the Syn is the lack of information avaliable from Hyperfuels. I asked where the fuel came from and the only response was "its made somewhere north of here."
They only claim it that is a diesel addittive. They do not charge the road use tax which is also a plus.
Another item is saw at Hyper was canola based biodiesel and my next load I am going to pick up a drum of it for the lubricity.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
LGV2001 said:
I just made my first road trip using hyperfuels Syndiesel. Mileage on my 2001 Golf, stock except for race pipe, flowmaster mufler, Spring 529's, amsoil bypass filter, and clutch upgrade remains 54 ish doing 70-75 cruise and A/C running.
I am running about a 50/50 D2/GTL mix. The engine runs smoother and by seat of the pants seems quicker.
Do you have access to a dyno?

LGV2001

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2010 JSW
No dyno in these parts of the country! I live 150 miles west of San Antonio in a town of about 30k.

Sorry about the typo's in the post. I am running Sprint 520's so I am guessing 100 HP.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
LGV2001 said:
No dyno in these parts of the country! I live 150 miles west of San Antonio in a town of about 30k.

Sorry about the typo's in the post. I am running Sprint 520's so I am guessing 100 HP.
I'm sure SA has some. I mean comparing D2 to Syndisel.