Intercooler Upgrade Using 00' S4 Intercooler

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
Re: Intercooler Upgrade Using 00\' S4 Intercooler

Wow, sounds really cool! Is the S4 'cooler larger than the standard one?

BTW, I'm in SF/Daly City. Hope to see you at the next SFBA GTG!

M

mickey

Some questions for you:

1. Where does the S4 IC mount on the Audi? Is it in the "corner" of the car, like your TDIs?

2. What are the physical dimensions of the S4 IC compared to the TDI IC? Length, width, thickness, inlet and outlet diameter...

This would give us the best idea of how much more capacity the Audi IC has. Remember that the turbos in the 1.8Ts only produce about 5 psi stock, so not much intercooling is needed. I don't know what the stock boost pressure was in an S4. The IC might not be any bigger than the ones we already have. If nothing else you might be able to rig up some kind of dual IC system with it.

-mickey

riddei

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1997, Storm Grey

sounds interesting! Are you thinking of adding this as a second intercooler or replacing the original on your TDI? Have you looked at the size of the one off the S4? It may actually be smaller than the one on the TDI. The S4 uses 2 KKK turbo's that generate a relatively small boost (but multiply the effect times 2).

Please let me know your thoughts. One of the next upgrades I was contemplating was to buy the secondary intercooler used in the Audi TT. I am not sure if the increased volume would be worth adding to the turbo set up on my TDI. It may increase turbo lag (something that would effect my non-variable vane turbo more than the newer A4 platform). This may out way the benefit of the increased intercooling surface area.

Thanks,

------------------
-Ian

riddei@olympus.com
97' Passat TDI, Storm Grey, K&N in the airbox (de-screened), Wetterauer chipped, 16" Borbet Type E's, with 205 45R 16 Yokohama's

teamtdi

Veteran Member

I will look into the size of the S4 IC...
Does anyone have the dimensions of the TDI IC???
BTW ... Peter... what is the SFBA GTG?? and how do I join...??

Would installing both ICs necessarily make more power... how would I do this... HELP... want to beef up my Honda/Acura Eater... hehe
No offense to anyone who drives one... hehe
thanks

M

mickey

San Francisco Bay Area Get-together. Check the Clubs/Meetings section of the Forum.

-mickey

Gary Miyakawa

Admin Emeritus
TDI
1998 NB TDI

Hey TeamTDI,

Take a look at the $1000 performance enhancement list in the forum... You will find that you can create a LOT of power for just $1000... I'm pushing 142hp/244torque (probably 150/250 with the current Garrett chip) and haven't changed the IC (Not planning to either)... 0-60s in the low 7s.... Soon to be in the mid 6s...

Don't want to see you waste money when the effort could be spent in proven areas !!!

Gary

[This message has been edited by Gary Miyakawa (edited February 24, 2000).]

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI

The most important question is what have you done to your cars? If they are stock, then improved intercooling won't do much at all other than to give you turbo lag. If you have a few mods (Wett chip and TT exhaust) then the improved IC will give you about 5%.

SFBA GTG III is, as the name suggests, the third TDI GTG to be held in the area. Both GTG I and GTG II had 5 cars show. We're hoping to get more this time.

Here are pictures and a write-up from the second one. The first one was held in the evening so pictures weren't taken.

teamtdi

Veteran Member

I have looked at the $1000 mods and plan to follow them as close as possible...
Getting my Garrett ECU mod next week with TT exhaust.. and a cold air intake...
Currently... My car is bone stock aside from BBS wheels and Springs...
I am researching the pros and cons of the IC upgrade... since I already have a spare.. that was free.. hehe..
I work at a local custom shop in the Bay Area <wink wink>
so I can get most of my stuff at a good price... I am planing to get my car featured in a mag or two... so want to do my mods carefully...
I will be dynoing my car soon after the chip upgrade ... and (If I do it.. the IC upgrade) to post here...

IDEAS IDEAS... Let me know fellas....

------------------
00' TDI Golf
99' TDI Golf
Lovin' Life in California!!!

teamtdi

Veteran Member
Intercooler Upgrade Using 00\' S4 Intercooler

I am getting my TT exhaust with a Garrett Chip installed next week...
Picked up an intercooler from an S4 from my friends bodyshop that is perfectly fine... no damage at all... Thinking about installing it in my TDI along with the other mods using custom piping....

Please Advise....

------------------
00' TDI Golf
99' TDI Golf

Gary Miyakawa

Admin Emeritus
TDI
1998 NB TDI

Let me suggest you get the car dyno'd before you make ANY changes... and plan to use the same DYNO for all your tests... Otherwise, you won't know what you started with (power wise)...

Which vehicle are you planning to chip? I hope it is the '99 cause Garrett hasn't done a Y2K chip yet..

If you are planning to get a magazine run, you will need really solid performance figures (0-60, 60 feet, 1/4 mile time and speeds)... If you are planning to body kit the car, it is less important....

You've said you are planning to use the BBS wheels cause they are lighter... Don't believe everything you read... Measure the stock wheels (or search out here on the forum, stock wheel weight has been talked about) and the new ones...

Too bad you don't live out here in Georgia, it would be really fun to work with someone who is planning on all these changes...

Best of luck!

Gary

P.S. Start looking NOW for the best fuel you can find (50 cetane if at all possible) and find some good additive for lubricity and cetane boost (I use Redline Plus 85, may not be the best but does well for me).

teamtdi

Veteran Member

Fuel is taken care of in a few months... there is a new station that is opening....
ARE YOU READY?? .....
PREMIUM DIESEL!!!!! haha.... will be bucks but will be worth it....

Right now ... I'm using Redline too.... but will be better once that station goes up around July... or so...

Can't wait....

------------------
00' TDI Golf
99' TDI Golf

teamtdi

Veteran Member

In Mountain View... won't be up for at least 4 months... but that's where I get my Delvac 1... oil... gonna be a new place...

don't have the address now... but will post it as soon as I get it...

hehee

------------------
00' TDI Golf
99' TDI Golf

TheMadcap

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 1996 Metallic Green

Hello Forum,

I have done some surfing and found a two websites that might be of interest.

The first site sells a do it yourself chip programing kit for tweaking your fuel/smoke maps. They claim it is what chip tuners use.
http://www.vanaaken.com/indexcont.htm

This website claims to offer kits from Allard for TDI Golfs on both the A3 and A4 platform. Might be worth contacting them.
http://www.hsmotorsports.com/allard_turbosport.htm

Thats all for now

------------------
The Madcap
'96 Passat TDI
Neuspeed P-Chip
K&N Air Filter

[This message has been edited by TheMadcap (edited March 09, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by TheMadcap (edited March 09, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by TheMadcap (edited March 10, 2000).]