DSG on red ATF

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
A customer brought in his car today for DSG fluid service.
What drained out of the trans looks to be conventional ATF red fluid.
Anyone know of a DSG fluid that even approaches having a reddish color? I don't.

The owner said it was changed about a year ago and does not know what was used.
When I drove the car prior to the change I did not notice anything funny about the operation of the trans...and no complaints from him about it.

Anyone know for sure what the consequences are from doing this?

jaymzaugust

TDI
2009 Jetta
The stock VW/Audi DSG fluid is red/pinkish. The liquimoly equivalent is a gold/tan color.

Edit: WRONG. See oilhammer's post below.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The stock VW/Audi DSG fluid is red/pinkish. The liquimoly equivalent is a gold/tan color.
No it isn't. DSG ATF tt is light amber, looks like motor oil, always has. It has a distinct smell, somewhat pleasant actually.

This is why it is so important to verify the correct ATF, since VAG uses so many different transmissions and different fluids. And this is also why I hate it when people say "Tiptronic" since that means nothing.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
so does this customer put 40 k miles a year on?

I do not think you drain all the fluid out for a change, there is fluid in places that does not just drain out.

if it was my car, i would consider changing again in a month or so, and then move on.

there are, I think, some friction modifiers specific to the fluid for the clutches. somewhat similar to the stuff they put in transfer cases. has to lubricate, but not too much.

I only have seen fluid from my car, but it is as oilhammer says.

Last edited:

jaymzaugust

TDI
2009 Jetta
No it isn't. DSG ATF tt is light amber, looks like motor oil, always has. It has a distinct smell, somewhat pleasant actually.
This is why it is so important to verify the correct ATF, since VAG uses so many different transmissions and different fluids. And this is also why I hate it when people say "Tiptronic" since that means nothing.
Oh great... well whatever it was I drained out of my 2009 at 80,000 miles was red. I wiped the filter housing out with white paper towels, definitely red fluid. The 40k service was performed by the dealer. I wonder what sort of koolaid they filled it with. Sorry for the misinformation, I'll go back and edit my original post.