Info needed to do a automatic to manual trans swap on a 2004 tdi

Zampano77

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Just purchased a used 2004 with a PD and a dying/dead auto tran and would like to switch it over to a manual, has anyone done it and how smooth was it if one has the needed parts or donor vehicle( in this case a totaled out 2001 ALH)?

Automatic in it now will only drive in 1st and reverse, 250,000 miles on it. Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Oh my gosh, that thread is torture to read it's so long :eek: If you want a flavor of what you are up against, read the how to in my sig below.

UNsweet

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagon
Oh my gosh, that thread is torture to read it's so long :eek: If you want a flavor of what you are up against, read the how to in my sig below.
I tried to dig into that thread once - all I wanted/needed was a ballpark figure for pricing so I could keep it in the back of my head! LOL!!

I guess I should technically also compile a list of "things" i might need to pass on to the friends that own a towing business... never know what kind of wrecked stuff they might get for me!

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
If you are a purist, you will want an 02J, subcode "EUH" transaxle. These were only used with the BEW engine and for 2004 and the first half of 2005, so they can be difficult to locate. The 02J 5-speed transaxle from an ALH will work too, but the gearing is slightly lower.

--Nate