www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old March 13th, 2018, 12:47   #166
jokila

Fuel Economy: 52/45/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by runonbeer View Post
I think they’re asking about the bolt that secures the axle flange to the differential on the gearbox. I don’t know the exact value but off the top of my head, it is in the 18 ftlb range.
Gotcha. THAT part of the flange.

It only has to hold it on the splined shaft so 18 ft lbs sounds enough. The bolt looks no bigger than bolts which are torqued 15-20ish in general.
jokila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2018, 12:49   #167
muzy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 jetta TDI
Fuel Economy: in process
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
That's actually a rule of thumb, not a hard/fast rule. And we techs give the parts guys a hard time as they generally know less about the car then we do. But, when you are replacing the one use bolts, did you ever notice that they all were green? Well, 99% of them anyway.

This is just another case of "a little information is dangerous". Junior tech heard most green bolts are one use so he made asumption (as you me ) they all are.
Its been quite a while since I did parts, but with the red and green thing. Seems to me had more to do with thread pitch than anything else.
Cheers
muzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2018, 20:07   #168
joshwho?

Does anyone know the torque value for the oil pump mounting bolts?

I read through and didn't find it hidden anywhere.
Thanks!
-Josh
joshwho? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2018, 11:23   #169
Nuje
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 1200km/tank (Mk4); 750km/tank (Mk7)

Looks like 23nm
Nuje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2018, 12:35   #170
wmkornblum

Default Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57ringo View Post
Does anyone else feel like their Bentley manual is a very poor manual for providing information? It always seems like what you want to know isn't listed. whether it be torque specs or proper procedures. I thought some of the service manuals were poor for my tractors and trucks but this thing is by far the worst.

It's lacking a lot of information
wmkornblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2018, 12:48   #171
wmkornblum

Default Subframe to Body bolts

What is the torque for the subframe to body bolts
wmkornblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2018, 13:09   #172
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD
Arrow bentley manual are written specifically for well trained mechanics

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmkornblum View Post
IOriginally Posted by 57ringo View Post
Does anyone else feel like their Bentley manual is a very poor manual for providing information? It always seems like what you want to know isn't listed. whether it be torque specs or proper procedures. I thought some of the service manuals were poor for my tractors and trucks but this thing is by far the worst.
Quote:
t's lacking a lot of information
In my decades of experience, I have found the bentley manuals are more than adequate when it comes to needed info for repairs if you are a well-trained mechanic.

The problems start for someone who needs all steps laid out for them to make the repair, like are given in chiltons & similar, the steps that the bentley manual writers assume the mechanic using their manuals do not need spelled out for a successful repair....

If you are having trouble using the bentley manuals I with all due respect suggest taking a refresher mechanic class at a local college to fill in the gaps one who is using a bentley manual is having using it to make the repairs they want....

With my over ~40 years at this point making repairs to all sorts of engines from tractors, boat engines, car engines, suspensions....ect... I find the bentleys plenty useful when carrying out repairs....

I will add that well-trained mechanics in my experience find the chiltons & similar manual to be too filled with what is useless to us details that we all know by heart. It is too cluttered making looking a particular detail we might need take longer than is required, with many times we find the one detail we might need to look up at the time having been left out because the writers of these manuals assume the detail we need is over the head of the shade tree mechanic who is the in the market to purchase their manual.....
Old July 23rd, 2018, 12:11   #173
wonneber
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarykid View Post
If you are having trouble using the bentley manuals I with all due respect suggest taking a refresher mechanic class at a local college to fill in the gaps one who is using a bentley manual is having using it to make the repairs they want....
I have to disagree with this.
What I see being bushed out of automotive tech schools ranges from horrible to adequate.

Recently one of the newer guys at a local repair shop could not identify the rear differential on a car in the air. Easily identifiable.

The owner has been trashing a few of the schools for years but until I started helping there I thought he was exaggerating.
He wasn't.

This is well outside this forum so I will not continue it but I also feel -all- the manuals need more info.
Torque spec is one of the items.
wonneber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2018, 14:03   #174
subber598

Default Bolt heas configuration

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrosema View Post
I have a head gasket issue and want to try one more 1/4 turn before I take it apart. Also not sure if the head bolts were replaced. Told me the head gasket had been replaced and they drove it about 3 months and it start smoking again.
I know this is an old thread, but those are called triple square bolts; need a different tool than a torx or a allen wrench.
subber598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2018, 14:12   #175
subber598

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymz View Post
Also known as XZN, in case your friendly local tool supplier hadn't heard of the former...

Yuri
Thanks for that Yuri; I saw that somewhere called XZN and another place said XYZ. I wasn't certain who was right. Btw, you're referring to the external head configuration and not the triple-square internal hole, correct?
subber598 is offline   Reply With Quote