Break-in Period

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
I pick up my 06 Jetta TDI next week. I can't wait to start driving it. I opted for the Auto trans because my wife can't drive stick....This is very good information and a very good forum. I have been pulling my hair out waiting for my order to come in. I placed the order back in the beginning of October...Took longer cause of auto trans and I got every options under the sun except for the Navi. Reflex Silver with Anthracite leather....17" wheels, spoiler, everything.....I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

readybuild

TDI
jetta, 2006, platinum grey
Congratulations!

Sounds like you priced yourself into the Audi range! I looked at the high end models too first - very nice stuff!!! All kidding aside the engine choice you made couldn't have been wiser; I am so happy with my '06 TDI that I could weep tears of joy - and trust it stays that way!!!

Do yourself a HUGE favor and print-out Drivbiwire's "Break-in Rules" outline on the first page of this thread; put one in the space next to the drivers seat and one in the glovebox just in case. Read it carefully before you go to the dealer to pick the car up! If you have anywhere near the good fortune I have had in following these guidelines you will be a grateful DW "Break-in" follower indeed!

Find some nice open road your first thousand miles, and after that find a steep mountain to climb. Enjoy !!!

Listen to it whine ... :D

Last edited:

Mike Buchman

DBW:

Seeking advice vis-a-vis driving style for an underperforming automatic TDI (Jetta wagon, '02) I bought used with 100K miles, have been running B99 biodiesel and getting horrid mileage (20-23 city, 33 highway). Lots of hilly city driving, short trips (4-10 miles). I know engine is not getting hot enough for very long. I don't know anything about the P.O. other than the curious fact they put 48K on it in 3 years and 50K in 1. Turbo had some repairs when I bought it (solenoid?) and timing belt was replaced then recalibrated some months later. Since the recalibration, revving is a little odd and power seems lower. Any thougths on how why I might be struggling mileage wise?

Mike

FIRE UP

TDI
'04 New Beetle, yellow
Thanks DB, I'm really new here. I'm picking up an '04 Beetle 5-spd tomorrow with 42k on it. At least I've somewhere to start in the processes of making this car last as long as possible. I'm hoping to get at least the same mpg as my '03 did, 42-44 mpg. I'm picking it up in Phoenix and driving it to San Diego. Thanks again for the quality info.

McKades

I just purchased my '06 Jetta TDI automatic on Saturday. Based on the thread, my understanding is that the automatic should basically take care of the break-in issues. We live in the city. With narrow streets and heavy traffic, it is often difficult to use a lot of acceleration. I've notice that the automatic is often shifting from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd at rpms well below the suggested levels. Is this just a function of the city driving or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help.

McKades

Break-In Question

Bump.

Any help with my lest quote would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
There's just not really anything new to say on this subject. I suspect if I had a new Jetta, I'd take it out for a ride in the country, doing a lot of engine speed changes, and doing most of the shifting myself. You know, running it from 2400 rpm up to 4000, then back down, over and over.

readybuild

TDI
McKades said:
Bump.

Any help with my lest quote would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
My best suggestion is to READ, RE-READ, THEN PRINT Drivbiwire's "Rules that apply for the life of the car" - otherwise known as the Break-in Rules Outline talked about here. It is on the first page second comment of this forum's thread. Obviously in order to mimic his suggestion in real life and achieve maximum engine potential this is going to entail some Manual Shifting with your Automatic. Read his instructions carefully and follow them to the best of your ability! If your experience in anything like mine, you'll be glad you did. Happy traveling!!!

Go-Pac

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Nice Info

Purchased my 06 Shadow Blue Jetta TDI, PKG#1 (Heated seats, very nice) on 2-28-06. I just started reading this thread today after seriously babying the car for the first 375 miles, cruise control and all. NO LONGER! I printed DBW's instructions and have them in my car.

One problem I have though, is that in 4th gear, 3K rpms = 70mph. Being a conscientious driver seldom going more than 5mph above posted speed limit (yeah, you want to make something of it:)) how do I get to 3.8K rpms without acting like an Exocet Missile down I-5? Cruising at 2K rpms is easy but most of my commute, 35 miles one way, is highway. Should I just keep it in 4th for the first 5K miles on the car and drive at the 2.7K rpms at 65 mph?

A very informative forum. I will be making frequent visits.

Last edited:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Go-Pac said:
Purchased my 06 Shadow Blue Jetta TDI, PKG#1 (Heated seats, very nice) on 2-28-06. I just started reading this thread today after seriously babying the car for the first 375 miles, cruise control and all. NO LONGER! I printed DBW's instructions and have them in my car.

One problem I have though, is that in 4th gear, 3K rpms = 70mph. Being a conscientious driver seldom going more than 5mph above posted speed limit (yeah, you want to make something of it:)) how do I get to 3.8K rpms without acting like an Exocet Missile down I-5? Cruising at 2K rpms is easy but most of my commute, 35 miles one way, is highway. Should I just keep it in 4th for the first 5K miles on the car and drive at the 2.7K rpms at 65 mph?

DB's original post was never meant to be interprited as cruise at high RPM. It means.... during gear changes reach higher RPMs with brisk acceleration and cruise close to 2000 RPM.

Meaning... as you get on the freeway...run it to 3000 or 3500 in each gear (assuming a warm engine) in 1st through 3rd/4th, and cruise in 5th. Don't leave it in 4th and cruise at 2700 RPM, that won't do anything for break-in. The main point of shifting at higher RPMs and with gusto is to get the boost going. High RPMs alone don't make boost. Load does.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Newbies, do not take the advice in this post until someone who actually knows what they're talking about replies to this.

Here's an idea, for those of you that want to tow a trailer.

Throw a trailer behind it.

Cruise at 65 in third.

High load for high boost, high RPMs.

Would my idea work?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
bhtooefr said:
Newbies, do not take the advice in this post until someone who actually knows what they're talking about replies to this.

Here's an idea, for those of you that want to tow a trailer.

Throw a trailer behind it.

Cruise at 65 in third.

High load for high boost, high RPMs.

Would my idea work?
"I don't know what I'm talking about"...buut..... IMHO that would only be high load when accelerating/going uphill, not cruising.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
What if it was a trailer that was somewhat less than aerodynamic, like an enclosed cargo trailer or something?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
You would be better off in 5th gear and WITHOUT the cruise varying the speed between 65 and 75...with an occasional bump to 80+ when towing a trailer.

With the automatics please keep in mind that the car learns to adapt based on how briskly you apply the gas-pedal. Pressing firmly by using at least 75% of the pedal range causes the transmissions ECU to adapt and shift at higher rpms, this is causes the ECU to bias closer to a "Sport" mode. This will trigger higher rpm shifts, better acceleration WITHOUT having to mess with the transmission gear selector.

Again if you have an automatic be FIRM and DELIBERATE with the gas-pedal. Around town push that peddle to the floor (within reason) and make the car accelerate. This programs the ECU to be more aggressive and shift in a sportier fashion.

This goes for ALL Automatic transmissions including the DSG.

When you are on the highway keep with traffic and don't loaf along trying to get 60mpg with a brand new motor. Get up to the speed limit (65 or 75 or whatever the speed limit is published at). By all means do not use the cruise, simply hold the speed which causes you to vary the input via the gas-pedal. On occasion look around and stomp on it! Get the car up to speed and then coast back down to a reasonable safe and legal speed. One thing to keep in mind is that you do not want to exceed 75% of redline in the first 1000 miles, redline is 5100 rpm, not to be confused with the start of the causation range at 4700 rpm. The maximum rpm you should limit yourself to is about 3900 give or take. This is intended to keep new owners from constant high rpms which lead to glazing of the cylinders.

Load it up, just don't baby it.

DB

McKades

Drivbiwire,

Thanks for the response. That cleared up a lot for me. I read most of this thread multiple times and was confused by what to do with a DSG. I understand that as much as possible, I should use a firm application of the accelator and the transmission will adapt. My question is, when traffic is heavy and I can't safely accelerate with power, should I (a) not worry about it as long as there are other times when I can accelerate with a firm application of force or (b) use the triptronic mode and prevent the transmission from shifting at the 2000 rpm mode?

Also (and here my ignorance is shinning like the sun), what is glazing? and what is engine surge?

Once again, thanks for all your help. As someone who is not experienced with Diesel, I really appreciate all the time and effort you have spent on this thread.

Go-Pac

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Thanks

Yes, this NEWBIE here thanks you for the info. This site has been very valuable, filling in the gaps that the owner's manual and my dealer failed to provide. I purchased my Jetta TDI knowing perfectly well that it is not a gas car and needs to be treated differently. I want a high mileage, high longevity car without the potential hybrid headaches. I am by no means a gearhead, but I want to insure that my FIRST ever new car does everything I want it do. I never have gotten a straight answer until I visited this forum.

readybuild

TDI
If I Am Not Mistaken Drivbiwire Specifically States To Take The Engine Up To A Maximum Of 3800 RPM For The First 1000 Miles. I was on wide-open highway when I broke mine in the first thousand miles, so I kept the car primarily in 4th Gear and accelerated and decelerated back and forth from 2000 to 3800 RPM Ad Infinitum to maximize applied load and ring seating. In between the above process and when traffic presented itself I did shift into 5th Gear.

In your situation since you state you are somewhat more speed adverse I would suggest hard acceleration starting at no less than 2000 RPM (about 50 mph) in 4th Gear up to where you are comfortable - firmly accelerating up as close to 3800 RPM as possible but not over before decelerating: "Frequent firm application of power is strongly recommended up to 3,800 rpm." You do want to accelerate up to 3800 RPM to fully seat the rings (against blow by gasses), so my suggestion in your situation might be some serious and concerted on-ramp (then off and back on) highway acceleration to speed up the your break-in process in order to apply load and get the engine up to but not over 3800 RPM's for proper ring seating during your first 1000 miles.

I now have 4300 miles on my car, drive like I'm on the Autobahn somewhat frequently :D ("Frequent Firm Applications of Power" per DW), and am getting better than forty two miles to the gallon while goosing it regularly with "full throttle accelerations" as often as is possible and safe :rolleyes: in both city and highway combined driving.

I have been told by experienced Veterans here that what I did in my initial break-in (first thousand miles) should dramatically speed up the desired break-in process, and I am getting ready to begin driving to acheive more maximized fuel mileage at five thousand miles on the odometer soon - keeping in the back of my mind that I still have about another five thousand miles (10,000 miles total) to basically break the engine in: "Continue to use occasional full throttle accelerations to continue to seat the rings; " while fully knowing that much of the break-in process has hopefully already been acheived.

Go-Pac said:

Anyways, as I stated earlier READ and RE-READ Drivbiwire's "Rules that apply for the life of the car" and follow them to the best of your ability, and you should be in pretty good shape. I am VERY, VERY glad I did !!! Happy Traveling...

Listen to it whine... :D

Last edited:

Go-Pac

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Appreicate the Info

Since I read DBW's post two days ago, I have been accelerating and then shifting at 2.5K rpms when the engine is cold and somewhere between 3-3.5K rpms when the engine is warm around town. Once I get on the highway though, which constitues about 70% of my driving, (75miles/day) I find myself driving in 5th at about 2.2K rpms for an extended period of time. I have stopped using cruise control although I really look forward to the 10K mile mark so I can start using it again. If I periodically drop into fourth to run the car at higher rpms, do you have any idea how long I should keep the car at higher rpms? Or should I just drop it for a few seconds just as if I were accelerating and shifting?

I really babied the car the first ~350 miles. Now since I am running it harder, I am quite surprised at the amount of power and pick up the car has. I always thought the TDI would be a slow powerful cruiser slogging its way through everything put in its path, instead it is more like a high speed torpedo barreling down the road.

readybuild

TDI
readybuild said:
If I Am Not Mistaken Drivbiwire Specifically States To Take The Engine Up To A Maximum Of 3800 RPM For The First 1000 Miles. I was on wide-open highway when I broke mine in the first thousand miles, so I kept the car primarily in 4th Gear and accelerated and decelerated back and forth from 2000 to 3800 RPM Ad Infinitum to maximize applied load and ring seating. In between the above process and when traffic presented itself I did shift into 5th Gear.
Response to Go-Pac:

It is not the amount of time that you stay at a certain RPM that is beneficial; in fact, staying at any one speed/rpm is not beneficial during the initial break-in process. You want to increase the load on the engine, which is in typically done by acceleration (and via slope in hilly areas).

In your highway driving alternate your RPM's from a minimum of 2,000 to a maximum of 3,800 with "frequent firm applications of power (per DW)" and go back and forth in this acceleration/deceleration process. I used 4th Gear a lot, as there was no other way I could see of not lugging the engine and achieving proper load staying in 5th gear. You may drive the driver behind you a bit nuts, but your engine will love you for it! Happy traveling...

Last edited:

readybuild

TDI
Drivbiwire said:
You would be better off in 5th gear and WITHOUT the cruise varying the speed between 65 and 75...with an occasional bump to 80+ when towing a trailer.

With the automatics please keep in mind that the car learns to adapt based on how briskly you apply the gas-pedal. Pressing firmly by using at least 75% of the pedal range causes the transmissions ECU to adapt and shift at higher rpms, this is causes the ECU to bias closer to a "Sport" mode. This will trigger higher rpm shifts, better acceleration WITHOUT having to mess with the transmission gear selector.

Again if you have an automatic be FIRM and DELIBERATE with the gas-pedal. Around town push that peddle to the floor (within reason) and make the car accelerate. This programs the ECU to be more aggressive and shift in a sportier fashion.

This goes for ALL Automatic transmissions including the DSG.

When you are on the highway keep with traffic and don't loaf along trying to get 60mpg with a brand new motor. Get up to the speed limit (65 or 75 or whatever the speed limit is published at). By all means do not use the cruise, simply hold the speed which causes you to vary the input via the gas-pedal. On occasion look around and stomp on it! Get the car up to speed and then coast back down to a reasonable safe and legal speed. One thing to keep in mind is that you do not want to exceed 75% of redline in the first 1000 miles, redline is 5100 rpm, not to be confused with the start of the causation range at 4700 rpm. The maximum rpm you should limit yourself to is about 3900 give or take. This is intended to keep new owners from constant high rpms which lead to glazing of the cylinders.

Load it up, just don't baby it.

DB
Just noticed Drivbiwire's post here; assume he posted as I was also writing a response. Thanks again DW for all your helpful suggestions! Glad to see that the majority of my written experiences are soundly based, and thank you for modifying my answer concerning automatic transmission shifting. Since I have a manual, and prefer them, likely my lack of knowledge in this area came shining through :cool: . Anyway - Happy traveling to all...

Vitoarc

TDI
2006 Jetta
No More Baby Stuff

I am a NEWBIE as well. I'm really glad I found the post on breaking in the TDI before I put too many miles on my '06 Jetta. I specifically asked the dealer about breaking in the engine. He quoted the manual, which says don't go over 3/4 the speed on the speedometer. Basically, don't go over 120 mph is what he told me. He mentioned nothing about ring seals. So, for the first 600 miles or so, I've been "babying" the engine like some others on this thread. Today I've been driving like a "mad man" on the highway, in 5th gear, going between 2500 - 3500 rpms and man was that fun! I just hope that I didn't start the Drivbiwire program too late.
Also, as I was driving, I was LOL thinking about getting pulled over by a trooper, and what I would say. "I'm sorry sir, this is a new diesel Jetta, and I'm only following the recommendation from the experts on how to get a good seal on my ring seals".:D

readybuild

TDI
Vitoarc said:
I am a NEWBIE as well. I'm really glad I found the post on breaking in the TDI before I put too many miles on my '06 Jetta. I specifically asked the dealer about breaking in the engine. He quoted the manual, which says don't go over 3/4 the speed on the speedometer. Basically, don't go over 120 mph is what he told me. He mentioned nothing about ring seals. So, for the first 600 miles or so, I've been "babying" the engine like some others on this thread. Today I've been driving like a "mad man" on the highway, in 5th gear, going between 2500 - 3500 rpms and man was that fun! I just hope that I didn't start the Drivbiwire program too late.
Also, as I was driving, I was LOL thinking about getting pulled over by a trooper, and what I would say. "I'm sorry sir, this is a new diesel Jetta, and I'm only following the recommendation from the experts on how to get a good seal on my ring seals".:D

Greetings!

I have not read ANYWHERE where driving excessive speeds in 5th gear is going to benefit the break-in process any better than alternating your highway speed per Drivbiwire's outline using 4th gear.

Mind you, I am in no manner trying to tell you how to drive; just that you can gain the same benefit by using 4th gear accelerating and decelerating back and forth between 2000 - 3800 RPM's - and perhaps have much less chance of getting pulled over ;) .

The main point is to accelerate and alternate rpm's to increase load, and not to maintain a constant high rpm causing glazing. At 2000 RPM's or so in 4th gear you are still doing the lower legal limit on every highway I have traversed, and accelerating from 2000 RPM up to 3800 RPM in 4th gear was plenty fast enough for me!

Last I checked 3500 RPM in 5th comes with a pretty hefty fine - unless you are traveling on the autobahn in Germany! Just a thought, and best of luck in your break-in.

Happy (and safe) traveling!!!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
readybuild said:
I am in no manner trying to tell you how to drive; just that you can gain the same benefit by using 4th gear accelerating and decelerating back and forth between 2000 - 3800 RPM's
Readybuild, after you described your accelerated break-in procedure last November, I hypothesized that you would start achieving improved fuel economy sooner than most other new-car owners.

What sort of fuel mileage have you experienced?

readybuild

TDI
TornadoRed said:
Readybuild, after you described your accelerated break-in procedure last November, I hypothesized that you would start achieving improved fuel economy sooner than most other new-car owners.

Hi Again TornadoRed:

This will of necessity be brief, as it is late for me on a weekday. I have thus far checked my mileage only twice and just for yuks. The first check was on about half a tank after fill-up of exclusively highway driving on somewhat mountainous terrain, and I got about 45 mpg. The other more recent check I did was combined city and highway, at 42+ mpg.

These checks are not however driving for maximum fuel efficiency by any means. I am still "goosing" it with full throttle accelerations uphill as often as possible and prudent - as I still have about 500 miles to go until my first oil change at 5,000 miles and to complete the second phase of the Drivbiwire break-in.

The first tank after my oil change I am going to very consciously and judiciously drive for an entire tankful attempting maximum fuel efficiency, and will report back then. This will likely be about 75% highway and 25% city driving; I'll let you know and post, OK - will likely be a few more weeks.

Happy traveling!

Last edited:

Vitoarc

TDI
2006 Jetta
readybuild said:
Greetings!
I have not read ANYWHERE where driving excessive speeds in 5th gear is going to benefit the break-in process any better than alternating your highway speed per Drivbiwire's outline using 4th gear.
Last I checked 3500 RPM in 5th comes with a pretty hefty fine - unless you are traveling on the autobahn in Germany! Just a thought, and best of luck in your break-in.
Happy (and safe) traveling!!!
Thank you for the "check that" there buddy! I appreciate your comments, and will shift it down a notch to 4th! ;)
I suppose going from a V8 Camaro (10 years), to a SUV (10 years), well... let's just say that I've missed the need for speed. To say that I am way impressed with how this beauty of a 1.9L TDI can WHINE on the highway, well, it sounds like an Italian tenor to me.

readybuild

TDI
TornadoRed said:

Just took the TDI in for the 5000 mile Warranty Service.
So, though I am not going to baby it too much, I should get a pretty accurate idea of whats going on mileage wise concerning fuel efficiency after the next tankful.

Though diesel prices are higher than gasoline, I am still very grateful to have gotten one of these baby's now - who knows what VW will do next year (they earlier stated they were not going to import a TDI for 2007). This is not my concern, as I plan on having mine for many, many years - my other car is nearly 22 years old with no rust and still purring (rotary engine).

I use a lot of public transportation so as you can note from my last post, I don't exactly spin the odometer. I will post back when I have finished off the tankful - hopefully the fuel mileage results will indicate the positive benefit of the Drivbiwire Break-In techniques.
I am optimistically certain, given the few checks I've done, that I will be smiling with the results :rolleyes: . Happy traveling!

34ist34

TDI
Future Audi A3 Sportback 2.0TDI, 2005, Lava Grey
I am joining these forums from Istanbul/Turkey.

I have been following DBW's break-in recommendations since day one - 12000kms on the odometer as of now on my 2.0TDI A3 sportback(140hp/236lbs-ft), loving the car especially long uphills:D

A couple of issues(?) I'd like to mention:

- Oil Consumption:

Before my 5000 mile oil change(I don't remember the exact mile when it happened but roughly around 2500-3000miles) -, low oil indicator light came up and I had to add a very small amount (less than 0.2 liters). But no similar issue since then.

- Low Mileage:

My mileage seems to be pretty low around 600-700kms per tank (55 liters) I assume this is because I drive the car pretty hard- mostly city driving, trying to apply firm applications of throttle as much as I can, 140-180kmphs speeds on the autobahns, ect.

Should I be worried about these issues?:confused:

Also, many thanks to everyone for such valuable info especially DBW for the break-in procedure.:)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
34ist34 said:
A couple of issues(?) I'd like to mention:

- Oil Consumption:

Before my 5000 mile oil change(I don't remember the exact mile when it happened but roughly around 2500-3000miles) -, low oil indicator light came up and I had to add a very small amount (less than 0.2 liters). But no similar issue since then.

- Low Mileage:

My mileage seems to be pretty low around 600-700kms per tank (55 liters) I assume this is because I drive the car pretty hard- mostly city driving, trying to apply firm applications of throttle as much as I can, 140-180kmphs speeds on the autobahns, ect.
Oil consumption during the first 5000 miles or so is not uncommon. As the piston rings get better seated, oil consumption typically declines. Many owners report they rarely or never have to add oil between 10k mile oil changes.

High speeds probably have a lot to do with your fuel consumption numbers. But if I had a car like yours, I'd drive it pretty fast, too.

greenbug06

TDI
06 nb gecko green 5 spd
am very happy to have read all these posts on the break in period since it seems i won't have gotten any of the goodie details out of the maual..will read it today when i get my new tdi nb happy happy happy:)
keep up the great posts<smile>I'll need em

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
Broken In? How can you tell?

I'm new to this site and am happy see such enthusiasm over the TDI engine.
After 475,000 on my beat up Isuzu I thought it was time I got something I could afford to drive to work, so I purchased a used 2005 Golf-diesel.

My problem is it has 19,000 miles on it and, according to the seller, it was the property of a retiree who passed away. So is it broken in? Is the turbo
sooted up? It seems fine driving but I get no sensation that the turbo is kicking in or not. Should I drive it as if it just came off the showroom floor (figuring that the previous owner may not have driven it enough to break it in? I'm used to working on my vehicles so what should I be listening for? Clearly a much different sound than my fuel injected gasser but what should I hear if the turbo is kicking in...? Or is it just a sensation?