New clutch. Replace flywheel?

Bradtholomew

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
I put in a Valeo/G60 kit about 100,000kms ago and it's slipping badly in all gears now. I'm going to get a VR6 clutch, should I replace the flywheel as well?

Brad

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
you should at least get the flywheel resurfaced, but in the end, you need to take a look at the flywheel to make the best decision.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Why is it slipping like crazy with the G60 setup? I thought the Valeo setup used a VR6 clutch and a G60 flywheel. Or am I thinking of a different kit?

Anyhow, you'll likely be able to get away with resurfacing the flywheel. Not every shop can do this, though and it'll likely have to be sent out to be properly done.

Bradtholomew

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Toronto_Vento said:
Why is it slipping like crazy with the G60 setup? I thought the Valeo setup used a VR6 clutch and a G60 flywheel. Or am I thinking of a different kit?
Yeah, the kit I'm getting (and should've got in the first place) is the Sachs clutch, different than the Valeo. According to some vendors, the Valeo is rated to hold 270 ft-lb and the Sachs 300 ft-lb.

With my mild mods I'd be very surprised if I was anywhere near 270 ft-lbs. I'm a little disappointed in the performance of the Valeo to say the least.

Looks as though I may be better off getting a new flywheel then, especially if I have to send my flywheel away... the less downtime the better.

Brad

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Bradtholomew said:
According to some vendors, the Valeo is rated to hold 270 ft-lb and the Sachs 300 ft-lb.
Myth. Don't care what anyone tries to sell you on. I've had a Sachs slip at 250 ft-lbs with a NEW flywheel properly broken in.

Resurface the flywheel, make sure the step is 0.495. (Pull the ring gear/dowels and machine it there to match!)