AC question - running engine on empty system refrigerant?

jimmyto

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDI 1.9 Diesel
Hello,

I have a 2013 Passat TDI. A/C system was working on and off/delayed last summer. It’s not working now anymore. I checked the AC refrigerant pressures and there are no leaks. Solenoid valve connector also has voltage so I suspect the issue is with the solenoid valve.

My question is if I can ask someone that I know to remove all refrigerant r134a and then drive the car back to my house so that I can remove and replace the solenoid valve? I would then recharge the system myself. Can I run the engine and have an empty AC refrigerant system? The reason I am asking is because it’s my understanding that the compressor is always rotating on these newer vw vehicles. Unlike my other car Acadia which the compressor has a Clutch.

Thx for your input.

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
As far as i know they are variable displacement and when the ac is off it should not be displacing anything, i don't think you will damage anything running it that way.

However, i can't find any sources to confirm this so you're going by my word here... Always double check!

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Compressor turns full time. The RCV controls how much pressure it builds. Won't hurt it for a short drive. Get a shop to drain the freon, change the valve go back for a refill. Shouldn't be very costly, considering they are putting in pretty much what they took out. They will have to vacuum it down and leak test first though.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
You would probably better off if they change the solenoid for you.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Compressor turns full time. The RCV controls how much pressure it builds. Won't hurt it for a short drive. Get a shop to drain the freon, change the valve go back for a refill. Shouldn't be very costly, considering they are putting in pretty much what they took out. They will have to vacuum it down and leak test first though.

Wrong my friend !
Since the system has been emptied and opened they will charge a small fortune to pull a vacuum and other assorted tests/costs. Probably several hundred dollars!

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Wrong my friend !
Since the system has been emptied and opened they will charge a small fortune to pull a vacuum and other assorted tests/costs. Probably several hundred dollars!
They only have to leak test it for ODP requirements, that's it. Suck it down, check it, fill it. If not find a better shop. Especially if the shop understands it didn't leak in the first place, and you're just changing the RCV.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Wouldn't the drier need to be replaced if the system is open to atmosphere for more than a few hours?