Clutch noise... Throw out bearing??? Suggestions?

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I have a question about the TDI clutches? Or I guess Jetta clutches in general because they are probably the same or similar in the Jetta GL versions. Anyway, I'm having NO PROBLEMS at all shifting and the clutch is gripping totally fine. No issues with actually driving etc. BUT... when I'm idling and in neutral, if I release the clutch, I can hear some noise, like maybe a noisy throw out bearing or something. I just sounds like gears turning. Does anyone know what this is about? Is this expensive to fix? Do I have to replace the whole clutch or is it possible to replace JUST the part that is noisy, like the throw out bearing? I'm pretty sure there must be some sort of problem because my buddy's TDI doesn't make any noise when his clutch pedal is out.

any thoughts???

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
It's not that it's bothersome. It just has me concerned that there may be something wrong down there... But maybe I'm worrying too much... Thanks for the info.
j

BugBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle TDI, 2005 New Beetle
Check the tranny fluid level. It may be low. If not, the throwout bearing and or pilot bushing may hold till it's time to change the clutch. Keep an eye on it. If it gets progressively worse than replace parts.

oldiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking for one
What you are most likely hearing is the transmission gears turning,if it was the throwout bearing you would hear it more with the clutch pedal depressed.I dont think there is a pilot bearing,but if there was you wouldnt hear it with your foot off the clutch either as then the clutch is coupled up and the flywheel and input shaft are rotating together. Chect your trans oil, if its full unless the noise is loud dont worry about it.

Rodrigues

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Heres a likely list it could be:

If its a bad input shaft bearing (race) you will hear it when the clutch pedal is NOT depressed and the transmission is in neutral. The only gear that the noise would dissapear in is 4th because its a 1:1 ratio.

If these cars use a pilot bearing of some sort (most do) then the noise would be most noticible when the car has the clutch pedal depressed because it allows the disc to unlock from the pressure plate and flywheel and flop around the inside of the input shaft. The worse it gets the quicker it will wear both the pilot and the input shaft bearing.

The throwout bearings are somewhat unpredictable. If the bearing has seized it will start spinning with the clutch depressed and make noise against the fork.

Its hard to say for sure what your issue is but I would say you most likely have considerable wear on your input shaft bearing & pilot bearing which you should be able to replace your self. Most transmissions cases have a removal front to them which allows you to access the input shaft bearing.