input shaft bearing(s)

AJxr

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Now I get this grindy whirring noise when my car is idling in nuetral. It quickly goes away the second I push in the clutch. This is the tell tale sign of worn input shaft bearings correct? Anyone replaced these themselves? I've done it on hondas in the past which was a fairly simple procedure.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Also if your bearings are allowing movement in the shafts you can count on some gear damage as well, but you may be ok since you caught it early.

I dont see this as a "simple procedure" even on Honda's. Whole trans has to come out and whole trans has to be disassembled. You cant just "simply" slide the new bearings in.

I would consider this only for the top level DIY'er. Lots of "general repair" mechanics shy away from this type of work.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Back the bolts for the clutch slave out, so that the clutch release fork can slide away from the pressure plate, enough so that the release bearing is no longer touching (and spinning). If the noise goes away, your release bearing is bad. This is somewhat common on hydraulic systems, as the bearing gets a 'zero play' setting and is always in contact with the pressure plate spring fingers.

Dollars to donuts it is your release bearing. We just did one like that this week! The load changes enough when you push down on the clutch pedal that the noise goes away or changes.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Check also what the noise does when pushing clutch pedal down say an inch or two. That will load the TOB almost the same as with pedal to the floor, but guts in the box will still be spinning. Similar test to OH's, but without the tools.