B4, IP returning air in fuel line

Jake G

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1997, Black
Ok, My 97 B4 has developed a problem where it won't start (cold) without starting fluid down the intake tube. Once it was running already for the day it would start fine unless it sat for more then an hour or so. I drove it like this for a week or so.

During the trouble shooting process, I disconnected the supply and return line from the IP and hooked up temporary lines and I placed the supply hose in one glass jar of fuel and the return line in another. The fuel coming out of the injector pump is aerated and quickly turned the fuel into foam.

Also after the car sits turned off for a few minutes the IP has a hard time sucking fuel from the jar, just a foot or so away. Once it ruuning it runs fine, plenty of power, just making lots of foam in the return line.

So, Is my injection Pump shot? What could be causing all the air. Remember I bypassed the entire fuel delivery system including the factory lines leading into the IP during my trouble shooting and I am still getting alot of air.

Last edited:

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Jake, usually this is due to one of the seals in the IP. Most likely the pump head O ring. Put your hand under the pump head and see if it's slightly damp with fuel.

Dieselgeek sells a kit to replace this O ring.