TDIFest 2016 is coming to Wisconsin

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
My drive is just about the same: 1,250 or so depending on the route. I think Parker the wonder dog won't be very happy about that distance, either. I think MKIV cars are incredibly easy to drive long distances. Maybe a bit noisy, but the steering and visibility out is great. I even like the seats. The only problem I have is my left elbow gets sore, not enough padding on the door armrest.
This past week, I went to San Angelo, TX to look at some oil and gas wells for a client's bid. It was mostly highway with a 75 MPH speed limit about 75% of the distance. Round trip was 850 miles and the Jetta ran like a fine tuned clock. I had the cruise set at 75 and the A/C on all the way. Car did mid-40's MPG and was rock solid on the road. It was the second long trip since the refurbish. Wife is used to her Santa Fe so this will be a bit different but OK I am sure.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Have the menu's been determined? I get "This topic does not exist yet" when I click on the link in the registration.
We haven't set the menus yet other than the Friday meet & greet, which will be a traditional Wisconsin whitefish boil with all of the trimmings and sides.

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
Are there classes/categories for the car show?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The current awards list is as follows:

Best in Show

-The people's choice favorite car of the show

Been Around the Block

-The most used vehicle / vehicle showing the most age, but still road-worthy enough to make it to the event

Attention to Detail

-Cleanest car at the show. Cannot also win Best in Show.

Best Daily Driver

-Best daily driver. Any year or model, this car will get you from A to B TDI style.

Best Modified (No Engine Conversion)

-Most modified vehicle. Conversions not included.*

Best Conversion

-A successful conversion that looks like it could have come from the factory.

Best Road Tripper

-The vehicle that is best setup for a road trip.

Ties will be broken by awarding the win to the vehicle with higher mileage.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
The current awards list is as follows:

Best in Show

-The people's choice favorite car of the show

Been Around the Block

-The most used vehicle / vehicle showing the most age, but still road-worthy enough to make it to the event

Attention to Detail

-Cleanest car at the show. Cannot also win Best in Show.

Best Daily Driver

-Best daily driver. Any year or model, this car will get you from A to B TDI style.

Best Modified (No Engine Conversion)

-Most modified vehicle. Conversions not included.*

Best Conversion

-A successful conversion that looks like it could have come from the factory.

Best Road Tripper

-The vehicle that is best setup for a road trip.

Ties will be broken by awarding the win to the vehicle with higher mileage.
How do you enter a car in this competition? (first timer here)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Good question! When you register for the event (which I believe you already did), there is an option to participate in Show & Shine. The options are no participation, spectator only, or participate/enter/show a vehicle. This is an unofficial registration that will give us an idea of how many people want to participate (so please select the appropriate option). Actual registration for show and shine will happen when you check in at the venue on Friday afternoon.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Good question! When you register for the event (which I believe you already did), there is an option to participate in Show & Shine. The options are no participation, spectator only, or participate/enter/show a vehicle. This is an unofficial registration that will give us an idea of how many people want to participate (so please select the appropriate option). Actual registration for show and shine will happen when you check in at the venue on Friday afternoon.
Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't sure what show & shine actually represented when I went through the sign up. Now that I see all the categories, I'd like to throw my old Jetta into the competition for a laugh. So as you say we can enter a car when we show up, I will do that if it actually makes it all the way to northern WI.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
That'd be great! We'd love to have a large turnout for show and shine this year. Everything is welcome, from beaters to show cars to daily drivers!

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I thought I read somewhere in the Wiki where you can't win two years in a row. :D
(but my car class would be safe from that cherry bomb anyway)
Actually won in 2012 with a different car.....l didn't have a TDI in 2013 and no Fest in 2014....

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Heads up, folks! There are just about ten days left to book hotel rooms before they get released back to general sales. If you're on the fence, book a room! You always have the opportunity to cancel later for a nominal fee. :)

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I really would love to come, but 14 to 20 hours (depending on the route) in one day wouldn't be possible so two days to and two days from takes me away from a job I just started for 4-5 days :(

I may run it by my manager just to see if it is possible though :)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I really would love to come, but 14 to 20 hours (depending on the route) in one day wouldn't be possible so two days to and two days from takes me away from a job I just started for 4-5 days :(

I may run it by my manager just to see if it is possible though :)
It's a long drive, for sure. I'm splitting it up into two days, as well. Hopefully your new boss will be willing to let you extend the holiday weekend a little bit. :cool:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I am Having some Medical problems and I am finding it very hard to drive for long periods of time now.....I might have to drop out :(
Sorry to hear and I hope you get past the health issue. I was hoping to get to meet another older member from back East. Well, your health is more important than anything else so take care of yourself if you don't make the trip.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
It's a long drive, for sure. I'm splitting it up into two days, as well. Hopefully your new boss will be willing to let you extend the holiday weekend a little bit. :cool:
I'm doing the 1240 mile trip straight thru, like I normally do when I drive 1400 miles from Nashua NH to Cocoa Beach FL on vacation. The NH to FL trip normally is 22 hours of driving, 25 actual hours due to stops along the way.

I'm planning to arrive on Thursday to rest up after the long drive.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I am Having some Medical problems and I am finding it very hard to drive for long periods of time now.....I might have to drop out :(
Sorry to hear. Get well soon!

I suffered a Gout(!) flareup in my left ankle during TDIfest 2015 in Maine last year. Not fun at all. Excruciatingly painful, rates 9/10 to 10/10 on the doctor's standard pain scale. Could hardly walk at all. :( It kept me out of work for a few days after TDIfest.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Jason is flying again this year, so you're welcome to ride up with me in the Passat if you're up for being a passenger!

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Jason is flying again this year, so you're welcome to ride up with me in the Passat if you're up for being a passenger!
I checked air rates and just too expensive.....I was going to leave on Wednesday, but we have Tickets to a CirQ show in Hershey on Wed Night,and at this Point I get Bouts of Double Vision after driving 5-6 hours I am trying to work it out been to the Eye Doctor not sure at this point probably related to the Diabetes.....:( or just getting old..:rolleyes:

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Yeh I know....besides Fred And Jon And PeterV who have never missed a Fest I have Made all but 2 and I never want to Miss.....My Favorite time of the Year besides Christmas!
I may have made it to all TDIFests, but my attendance with my own VW is at 20% and 13% with a TDI and it will drop further this year. I think your % is a little better than that!

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I may have made it to all TDIFests, but my attendance with my own VW is at ... 13% with a TDI...
My attendance with "a" TDI is pretty dismal as well. Yes, I've been to all, but I've had, I think, any one TDI at no more than three. Some of my TDI never went to a fest.