Help, please, with drill pump suction oil change

neimis

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 Passat TD, '01 Golf GL TDI, '15 Golf Trendline TDI
Okay, I tried sucking the oil out using a drill pump, but at first I couldn't even get the pump to draw up the oil. I finally got some in the tube by sucking with my mouth
(blechh, at least I didn't ingest any!!) and then it started dribbling out into the used oil container. I pumped (or drilled, as it was) for an eternity. It took about 10 min to get a couple of litres. At that point I gave up in disgust.

I changed the oil filter and managed to suck up the oil at the bottom of the oil cooler, but that took a very long time. I don't think it's supposed to be this difficult, is it?

I have a powerful hand drill (Milwaukee Magnum) and used a copper tube for inserting into the dipstick. The hole, after using a tubing cutter on it, seems awfully small - could this be the problem?

Also, when I tested the pump by holding my finger over the end of the tube to see how much vacuum it was creating, it seemed very weak.

The oil was warm, and flowed easily.

I like the idea of pumping the oil out (keep it neat) and also of getting it out of the oil cooler, so I'd like to see if I can get it to work before I give up and buy a Topsider or somerthing similar.

Any ideas or advice appreciated.

Veep

TDI
Golf GLS, 2000, Silver
Howdy neimis,
You might consider that..
1. If you had to dramatically reduce the inlet size via adapters to get down to the copper tube size, check to make sure that your rig isn't sucking air around the threads.

2. Your drill pump might not like viscous liquids like oil especially through that small of an opening.

3. You might have to keep a little used oil around to prime the pump with before you try to draw from the crankcase.

good luck! hope this helps

Durable TDI

I bought a (Tempo Oil Boy) fluid extractor today. I was thinking of the (TOP SIDER) but no one in Grater Vancouver have one. I tested on my Toyota Previa and BMW. On the Toyota it took all the oil out ,only 3 drops after I remove the drain plug. For BMW only one table spoon after I remove the drain plug. I use it also to suck the oil out from the oil filter housing another two table spoon. So it more than the drain plug. Another 2000km to go I will try on the Jetta TDI. I find on the (Tempo oil boy) you can see exactly how much oil you are taking out . The bottle is semi clear with marking for every liter of oil.

Durable TDI

I bought a (Tempo Oil Boy) fluid extractor today. I was thinking of the (TOP SIDER) but no one in Grater Vancouver have one. I tested on my Toyota Previa and BMW. On the Toyota it took all the oil out ,only 3 drops after I remove the drain plug. For BMW only one table spoon after I remove the drain plug. I use it also to suck the oil out from the oil filter housing another two table spoon. So it more than the drain plug. Another 2000km to go I will try on the Jetta TDI. I find on the (Tempo oil boy) you can see exactly how much oil you are taking out . The bottle is semi clear with marking for every liter of oil.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
_._ Dunno what's going on with your drill pump but mine does the sump in approx. 40 seconds (sorry, I don't know what that is in Metric measurements for you Kinnehjins, eh?) I have a cordless drill which doesn't have enough "oomph" and an old Craftsman plug-in that runs it just fine. But the tip about priming is a good one - I found that what drips off the dipstick is all you need.
_._ I was really pleased with the way that it drew the oil out of the filter cavity and the oil cooler but us grey haired, broken down, old retired guys who drive slow are easily amused.
Bruce Henderson, Wallace NC

neimis

Veteran Member
TDI
I needed to use the car so I finished the job the old fashioned way - via the drain plug. It ended up taking 4.25 litres.

Next time I'll try enlarging the opening of the copper tubing - I think using a tubing cutter tends to close up the tube somewhat. Also, I'll double check that the hose "step-down" connections are airtight. Maybe I'll try having the oil hotter. (I already primed the pump with oil)

If I was smart, I'd work at figuring it out before I need to do another oil change. Now neither car will need one for another 6 - 8 months or so. But I'm bummed out about the whole experience right now, so I'm just going to let it slide for a while.

Thanks for the ideas.

TDI_ESEL

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Originally posted by neimis:
I'm bummed out about the whole experience right now, so I'm just going to let it slide for a while.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What *brand* of drill pump did you use? Craftsman makes one. Curious if that would be a better quality pump.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
I have not used my oil sucker outer yet, but A millwakee magnum hole shotter only turns at 850 rpm, fairly slow for a drill but massive torque. Seems like the drill pump would like higher RPM, it's worth a shot if you have another drill around that is higher speed.

-Jack

neimis

Veteran Member
TDI
Brand of drill pump is "Wolfcraft" - designed in Germany, made in Slovakia? I think. Looks OK to me, can't really tell just by looking at it.

Checked the rpms on the drill - specs say 1200rpm - should be enough, no?

DLV

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI ALH 5M silver, 2011 Audi A3 TDI Monza Silver
Get rid of the whole thing. Use the oil sucker. I have a Topsider that I use on all of my cars and boat (TDI included). I had a problem with the hose wearing out and when I went to replace it, all I could find was garbage material that would "cave in" when I used it. I recently gave the Topsider to my brother and replaced it with a fluid extractor that has several sized, replacable hoses, 5 liter capacity and connects to your air compressor. It's really slick. I'll find out the name and post it.

DallasTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta then 2011 A3 & 2013 Beetle
You have the same problem my drill pump did. I bought mine at Home Depot. It took too long IMO to drain the oil - about 20 mins or so. In fairness, I do not remember if I started the car or not to warm up the oil. However, I pulled all the oil out of the drain pan, suctioned out the oil filter housing area as well and refilled the engine with 4.5 quarts. So I know I got a lot out of the engine cavities

For a measly $6, I will buy another brand of pump at Lowe's or Sears and see if it improves. But I do agree it could be faster.

GutWrench - WHERE did you buy yours? IE.. what brand is it?

[ January 13, 2003, 13:10: Message edited by: DallasTDi ]

acktdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS Reflex Silver
I bought one from home depot, it was about $5, made by Flowtech. I think Craftsman ones are made by Flowtech also and are rebranded. I tried two drill pumps and neither of them pumped effectively. I was using a 12v cordless drill and 1/4" copper tubing. Returned them and got a Pela pump type extractor, much easier to use and only $35.

JeffJ

I have to agree with the statements above. I also tried the home depot pump, and found it to be worthless at any price.

Picked up a unit at a boat supply place that came as a kit w/hose and adaptors for about $25, and it worked like a dream.

I think your biggest issue is the quality of the pump.

Dorado

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle TDI, 2002, Cool White
We first tried a $20 electric pump from JC Whitney, and it was noisy, underpowered, and slow. So we got the Pela PL-6000 and it worked absolutely great: effortless and silent, and it sucked 4.5 liters in total, easy to see with the transluscent canister. We got it from www.overtons.com

Do a search for "Pela", "Griot's", "Topsider", and "Liquivac" to see the experiences with these good pumps.

zebrajeb

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 02, Silver, AT
I also could not get the oil drill pump to work. Mine was a Jabsco. Came with right fittings and hose attachments. I tested it pumping water from my sink to the bathtub - worked great and fast!

When I tried to changed oil, it barely got any out! After a few minutes, I gave up and did it the old fashion way - out the bottom.

Guess I'll have to try an "oil sucker outer" of some type.

Brioscooter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 and 2005 Golf TDIs
I have never used an oil extraction device. I would like to try one, but I usually drain it from the bottom as I want to be extra (belt AND suspenders) sure thatI get every drop of sooty old oil out.
That said, could Neimis' pump problem be caused by his drill spinning in the wrong direction? If it were, would he still get suction, or would he get reverse flow (pressure)?

DLV

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI ALH 5M silver, 2011 Audi A3 TDI Monza Silver
The tool that I described above is the "E-Vac Fluid Evacuation Kit". It can be found at "abwtools.com". I use mine for many uses including priming my fuel filter with the return line, bleeding brakes, power steering fluid, lower unit lube oil (boat), and of course engine oil.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
The oil definately has to be warm to work right. Not hot, but warm. I didn't warm up the oil enough the last time, and it took forever with the TopSider. What's nice about the TopSider is that it has enough capactity to do the BMW as well. I might try the pump anyway at some point.