Luk clutch

vaxick

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, 2000, Satin Silver
So my 2000 Golf has a luk clutch in it and I plan on going to RC stage 3. Should the luk clutch be able to handle both RC stage 3 and Powerplus 520 injectors?

On a side note, the TDI Club member Sonic_Sound is wondering if he can install a luk clutch into his 2003 Jetta.

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
Far as I know, the Luk seems to hold power better than the sachs...As a for instantance I know GeWilli has a Luk clutch and stage 3 with .205's I think. Wonderbar!
But Geoff doesn't slip the clutch or hot rod it either.
Re: Sonic Sound....yes you can but there are other more cost effective combinations.

02AutoWag

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (5-speed swapped)
TooRoundTDI and ofhs93,

How many miles are on your LUK clutch? I've got 155K miles on my '98 Beetle, only 15K of those are mine though. If a high mileage LUK can still withstand mods, then I'll take a chance that mine is still good and begin with nozzles.

Thanks,
Russ

Doc_Oc

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
I had 200k km on the car, Unitronic stage 2 and 216's and the clutched sliped. So I went G60/VR6. I was surprised to see that my clutch was a Luk when I took it off the car. Again...only 45k are mine on the car. I drive it hard.

Vik F

Veteran Member
TDI
nil
270k kms and climbing...no slip..

accept for one cold winters day when i was only chipped, car sat by the lake for 10hrs...getting on the on ramp...merging with traffic it slipped then 2-3 times..never again since

ASSumed Luk-y clutch ;)

ofhs93

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 99.5, Silver
02AutoWag said:
TooRoundTDI and ofhs93,

How many miles are on your LUK clutch? I've got 155K miles on my '98 Beetle, only 15K of those are mine though. If a high mileage LUK can still withstand mods, then I'll take a chance that mine is still good and begin with nozzles.

Thanks,
Russ
Close to 200k on the clutch.

vaxick

Veteran Member
TDI
compu_85 said:
I have 178k on mine, well see what RCII + the nozzles does this weekend!

-Jason
Stage 2 has been nothing but perfect on my luk clutch and this weekend I'll hope stage 3 will be the same way. Injectors gotta wait a bit as all the sites are sold out :(

TooRoundTDI

Skunk Rocker
TDI
1998 Jetta
88k on my car/clutch right now. 3k nozzled and about 1500 chipped. I dont abuse my clutch (slipping it, neutral drops or power shifts) but I definatly use the chip and injectors to their potential. I have a G60/VR6 in my living room waiting to go in so I want to see how long the LUK lasts with spirited driving and Ill let ya know;)

KROUT

persona non grata
The luke clutch should hold it fine. I got 180,000 out of mine. It still looked good when I changed it. I added a tunning box and pp520's around 100,000 miles.

02AutoWag

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (5-speed swapped)
Thanks guys. Please report back with the RC upgrades and results.

I have a pressure washer ready to clean the engine bay in preparation for the nozzle swap (Sprint 520).

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
RC4, 11mm pump, Bosch .203's & VNT-17 turbo. No slip with a Luk with about 50k on it.

I had a Sachs and switched to a Luk. You will need a new flywheel and pressure plate bolts to go with the new PP & disc. I got lucky and found a complete set (FW, PP & Disc) for US$200 on E-bay. So all I had to buy from the dealer was a new release bearing, input shaft seal & the PP bolts. Total in parts was just under $300.

vaxick

Veteran Member
TDI
I have RC Stage 3 on my Luk clutch now and it's working just fine. Soon to install some PowerPlus 520's.

Too bad I won't be able to feel much of the new power until I clean my manifold out :(