clutch won't bleed

timsch

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Mk4 Jetta (blue), 2003 Mk4 Jetta (black), 2011 Mk6 Jetta, all manuals
I bled my brakes successfully using the pressure power bleeder. Now I'm trying to bleed the clutch; I unscrewed the bleed nipple, but even at a full turn, nothing comes out. What might the problem be?

jekl843

TDI
2011 Golf TDI (sold), 2002 Jetta TDI 5spd, 2017 GTI SE 6spd
I did mine last weekend with motive power bleeder, I had to turn it 2 or 3 full turns before fluid would come out of the clutch nipple but it eventually did! The brakes were only half a turn to a turn as comparison.

timsch

Veteran Member
TDI
2 - 3 turns...I'll keep that in mind. Too bad; that's a lot of 1/6th rotation turns.

I just finished it up the old fashioned way, by having my boy push down on the clutch pedal. I've learned better than to do it that way with the brakes, but the clutch is fine that way. But, yeah, I'd rather pressure bleed it.

jekl843

TDI
2011 Golf TDI (sold), 2002 Jetta TDI 5spd, 2017 GTI SE 6spd
That works too. I ran into the same issue until I did a search and eventually found the multiple turn solution. That tight space was damn annoying to turn... almost as bad as fitting the hose on the brake nipples with the 15" wheels still on... and almost as annoying as having to use PB blaster to even get the damn brake caliper nipple screw to turn in the first place... Life did get better when I got to play with some real life nipples after :D

timsch

Veteran Member
TDI
LOL! Well, enjoy them before they get rusty too. If only PB blaster was good for that too.

sawmilldon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Wagon
My slave cylinder has an o-ring on the bleed screw. Just cracking it open a quarter turn will not unseat the seal. Much different feel than a steel bleed screw on a taper.