Help! Steering wheel shaking at 65-80 mph.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Most hub related wheel vibrations are either:

a very small (almost impossible to feel with the vehicle raised) amount of play in the bearing, amplifying an already existing imbalance or out of round situation in the hub, wheel, tire or combination of the three
looseness in a suspension component doing the same thing (bushings, ball joints, strut mounts)
Imbalanced wheel
out-of-round wheel/tire (note that you can balance a very out of round wheel on a balancer, doesn't mean it will not vibrate!)
out of round hub (bad machining job).
improperly mounted wheel / inconsistent wheel fastener torque / inconsistent/dirty mating surfaces.

That's it. Any front end mechanic worth bringing the car to should know the above. If the front end checks out (no play in any suspension part), then set up a dial indicator and meticulously check runout of everything. I have had cars and trucks where components just had stacked tolerances - a wheel a little bit out, a hub a little out, a tire also out, and luck of the draw had all of these lined up in the worst way. Identifying each and rotating assemblies so the out-of-round tolerances were no longer stacked, but now offsetting each other got rid of the vibration.

Can't say I've ever needed to use a box of bullets to diagnose a vibration issue... :eek:
Also, note that alignments while good to minimize tire wear and keep the car going straight down the road will do nothing for a vibration, and vice versa - balancing wheels will not help excess tire wear or correct a pull to one side. Can make the car track much straighter though if toe starts out negative.

Highspeed

TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI
I would say it is Bubba’s way of finding the problem. Numerous dealership visits, local European repair facilities, Firestone, Pepe boys and several front end specialty shops. No fix only wanted to change tires and spend money hard earned dollars etc… So I would call the bullet package troubleshoot genius. The others are less than stellar.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
I would say it is Bubba’s way of finding the problem. Numerous dealership visits, local European repair facilities, Firestone, Pepe boys and several front end specialty shops. No fix only wanted to change tires and spend money hard earned dollars etc… So I would call the bullet package troubleshoot genius. The others are less than stellar.
fascinating tip! I will test it with my box of bullets in my gf's 2015 Passat. been having the annoying shake at 70-75 mph since we bought her at 20k miles.

03 shaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL
I'm at a loss with my car and this issue. Replaced both front wheel bearings and both axles, no change. Last week took it to a Euro car shop and they said I have a tire/wheel issue. Took it to Tire Discounters and they were able to rotate and balance the tires and really cut down on the shake/vibration but it's not completely gone. My tires are also starting to cup from whatever the issue is, so at this point I want to try a set of oem 17" wheels and tires and see what that does to my car. I'll have to at least get new tires before a shop can try and diagnose the root problem 😫

But that does make me wonder, those of you that have had this issue, what size are your wheels? 18" or 17"? Mine are 18" and I wonder if it is in the wheels for my car at least...

Highspeed

TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI
Good morning.

Wanted to ask a question. Have noticed steering wheel started to shake from around 65 mph and gets worse closer to 80 mph. Recently replaced all brakes with the same problem persisting. Thought maybe the original OEM Conti's wearing out - they had 63,000 miles on them, so I had them replaced yesterday. However, the shaking persists. With Michelin tires being much more responsive, shaking also appears to be more pronounced. Rotating tires did not help - thinking maybe bad balance. Jacked up the car - there is absolutely no play in the wheels - both at 9-3 and 12-6 o'clock. Of note, I do hear a little "chaga-chaga" sound at high speeds over 50 mph, but only when I pass by the barriers where sound is more pronounced. I doubt it is brakes, because there is no vibration when braking and the braking is very smooth. Calipers were appropriately lubricated when I did the brake job.

Do you guys have any suggestions as to what to look for? I am completely at loss. Thank you.

Eugene
I replaced my front right wheel bearing and the shake was there but not as bad. Took tire off front right and moved it to the rear and the shake is gone. Possibly your shake/worn parts has worn the tires. The mechanic told the wheel did have play. It had worn the tire.

Highspeed

TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI
I replaced my front right wheel bearing and the shake was there but not as bad. Took tire off front right and moved it to the rear and the shake is gone. Possibly your shake/worn parts has worn the tires. The mechanic told the wheel did have play. It had worn the tire.
I meant the wheel bearing did have play.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
fascinating tip! I will test it with my box of bullets in my gf's 2015 Passat. been having the annoying shake at 70-75 mph since we bought her at 20k miles.
update: it was the rim. discount tire shop fixed with added weight and now she is smooth as butter.