2014.5 Passat TDI Gets New Engine

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
We'll see if it happens on the Passat. I think not, but time will surely tell.

Also, I removed about 10,000 years from your title. ;)

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
if they do put the new engine in, im sure it will be branded as a 2015 model year. Wonder if the 288 will have the same turbo and if not, if that turbo is able to be put on our engines

VeeDubTDI

TDI
if they do put the new engine in, im sure it will be branded as a 2015 model year. Wonder if the 288 will have the same turbo and if not, if that turbo is able to be put on our engines
Nothing about the new engine is the same as the current engine. Based on the cutaways at the auto show, I don't think there will be a single part that is interchangeable.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
AdBlue isn't going away, for sure. All TDIs will have AdBlue with the introduction of the EA288 engine in MY 2015.

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
From the cutaways I briefly looked at on google images, the EA288 seems to have just one turbo (which, aside from the EGR intake on front, looks to be very similar to the BV40 :eek:), something I find interesting because I could swear I read sometime much earlier when this engine was first revealed that this EA288 was going to have sequential turbos. I guess it won't sadly. Maybe its the Mazda Skyactiv-D I'm remembering. Man, wouldn't sequentials help with the upper end power, though!;) 6.4L anyone?

Anyways, the #1 thing I'm envious about with the EA288 is the (supposed) complete B20 compatibility! The one thing that worries me about my car is it's intolerance to B20 (according to VW), and its tendency to "make" excessive amounts of oil if I ever chose to run anything over B5. While I can get straight D2 or B5 very easily in my hometown, I fear that in, say, 10 years or so, that won't be an option anymore, and I'll be forced to run B20, which I don't have a problem with, except for the fact I'll have to have the short half-@$$ed OCIs! GRRR!

This is a bit off-topic, but the #1 thing that pisses me off about the new Ram/Jeep Ecodiesel is it's fine print shortened OCIs and FFCIs for B20 usage, despite the fact they advertise complete B20 compatibility! Bull! That's not complete B20 compatibility! Complete B20 compatibility would mean that running B20 would not change the OCIs, as in the case of the 6.7L Cummins in the 2013+ Ram HD Pickups. If VW tries to pull that stunt with the EA288 too, I'm going to be highly bothered!

Rant over!:eek:

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
There has been a lot of discussion about running B20 in the commonrails. Check out the alternative fuels forum for more information.

The simple fact of the matter is that biodiesel does not burn the same as diesel, and when introduced to the engine in a post-injection condition (for emissions reduction operations like regens and warmups), some of the biodiesel makes it past the rings and into the crankcase, diluting the oil. Getting mad and ranting won't do you any good... it's just the way it is.

The 6.7 liter Cummins is different because rather than doing post-injection through the main engine injectors, it injects fuel directly into the exhaust via a 7th injector. You may see other manufactures move towards that route in the future, but for now there are very few who do it that way.

Here is a nice article on the subject: http://www.swri.org/4org/d03/engres/pwrtrn/controls/accelex.htm

Edit: A bit more research shows that the Cummins ISX uses the 7th injector, but the 6.7 is still using post-injection. Interesting... perhaps they're not concerned with the oil dilution that post-injection presents.

Last edited:

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
There has been a lot of discussion about running B20 in the commonrails. Check out the alternative fuels forum for more information.

The simple fact of the matter is that biodiesel does not burn the same as diesel, and when introduced to the engine in a post-injection condition (for emissions reduction operations like regens and warmups), some of the biodiesel makes it past the rings and into the crankcase, diluting the oil. Getting mad and ranting won't do you any good... it's just the way it is.

The 6.7 liter Cummins is different because rather than doing post-injection through the main engine injectors, it injects fuel directly into the exhaust via a 7th injector. You may see other manufactures move towards that route in the future, but for now there are very few who do it that way.

Here is a nice article on the subject: http://www.swri.org/4org/d03/engres/pwrtrn/controls/accelex.htm

Edit: A bit more research shows that the Cummins ISX uses the 7th injector, but the 6.7 is still using post-injection. Interesting... perhaps they're not concerned with the oil dilution that post-injection presents.
I know, but I was feeling a bit belligerent last night, I guess.:)

Anyways, my point about the 6.7L Cummins was that it didn't have to have a modified service schedule for B20 usage despite the fact it uses the post-injection event(s) for regens. They must have figured out some sort of timing or programming trick that minimizes oil dilution despite the B20 usage in the post-injection system. Incidentally, the Ford 6.7L also has complete B20 compatibility without shortened OCIs despite the fact it uses post-injection events too. Clearly, full B20 compatibility can be achieved on the post-injection diesels. That is full B20 compatibility in my mind: no shortened OCIs. Shortened OCIs for B20 usage means the engine is only semi-compatible with B20 IMO.

I agree, the ideal method for running biodiesel without any oil dilution is with a separate injector for regens (such as the 9th injector on the LML Duramax), but I still believe that with the right OEM programming, a post-injection regeneration strategy diesel can be fully B20 tolerant.

I believe the EA288 still only has 4 injectors, but VW may have pulled off full B20 compatibility without an extra injector, just like the 6.7L Cummins and 6.7L Powerstroke. Hopefully so.

This is wishful thinking, but, wouldn't it be great if VW re-flashed our CKRA Passats with a tuning modification to try to minimize oil dilution for B20 usage, which would let us fill up with B20 and still keep our awesome 10,000mi OCIs? I would get that in a heartbeat, even if they charged me a couple hundred bucks!

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
It could have something to do with the sump size on the truck engines. I know my 6.0 has a 4 gallon sump... it would take a lot of fuel to dilute that to dangerous levels.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm excited about this engine, particularly in the Golf and Jetta, as it will help them deliver the same or better FE than the heavier Passat. Although I like the current non-Urea engines in those cars, I'd prefer Adblue and better FE. Also no IC issues.

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
It could have something to do with the sump size on the truck engines. I know my 6.0 has a 4 gallon sump... it would take a lot of fuel to dilute that to dangerous levels.
Possibly. We will have to wait and see what the situation with the EA288 is. With any luck, it will be fully B20 compatible.:D

chittychittybangbang

Veteran Member
TDI
none
This engine is stronger, gets better economy, warms up faster (less emissions and more mpg), and I believe it has design changes to address some major reliability issues. I rented a Golf with an EA888 in Germany, check out my youtube channel for my review and whatnot, I published the confirmation well before autoblog since I get VW's press emails and was online at the time. (cookie please :D)

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
I'm excited about this engine, particularly in the Golf and Jetta, as it will help them deliver the same or better FE than the heavier Passat. Although I like the current non-Urea engines in those cars, I'd prefer Adblue and better FE. Also no IC issues.
Now that it's started to climb out of the freezing temps 'round these parts, my CKRA delivers better FE than the CBEA ever did in my '09 Jetta. Both were DSGs.

I'm sure the FE numbers in the newer cars will be nothing short of extraordinary.

(My Fuelly badge has quite a few 31/32MPG fills from when the car was new and running in sub zero temps.. Gonna take a while to climb out of that hole. Last few tanks have been in the 38 range)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Now that it's started to climb out of the freezing temps 'round these parts, my CKRA delivers better FE than the CBEA ever did in my '09 Jetta. Both were DSGs.

I'm sure the FE numbers in the newer cars will be nothing short of extraordinary.

(My Fuelly badge has quite a few 31/32MPG fills from when the car was new and running in sub zero temps.. Gonna take a while to climb out of that hole. Last few tanks have been in the 38 range)
Almost 70 degrees here yesterday, MFI was showing low 50s on a drive that had been showing low 40s all winter. Hooray for spring! :)

It will be very interesting to follow the fuel economy of the new EA288 engine when it finally makes it into production.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Saw a blurb here that it can take up to B20 as well. I also have noticed mine does way better when the temps hit 70F or more. On my new 30 - 35 mile commute I hit 52 on warm days. It will also take mine awhile to get over the 5 mile commute I was doing.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I wonder why MPG's dive in the cold? ECM must be running things "richer" to keep the exhaust warm because my old 1985 golf gets 55MPG at any temperature as long as im burning summer diesel.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Good point. Current Golf/Jetta common rail TDI has a mediocre FE as compared to past TDIs and its the pits against the Prius EVEN in hwy driving for pete's sake!!!
Just check fuelly.com for long term averages and trends.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I can't really complain, my average since new is 43.1. And I don't drive for economy. I use the power, and usually drive between 75 and 85 on the highway. I have a 2-door Golf, however, which is the lightest of the new cars.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I guess the real question is whether they'll put that engine in a 4 wheel drive, Passat Wagon?
We should at least wait until it arrives in an NMS Passat first! My bet is that it won't be until well into the 2015 MY, as they did phasing in the 1.8 gasser.
It all depends on how many CKRA engines they've still got in the current pipeline.