2012 passat help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloomy97

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
I have a 2012 passat tdi SE currently with 29k miles, since purchasing the car I've had strange issues with the brakes either not disengaging or overheating. I brought the car in at 2900 miles to have them inspected, dealer said nothing was wrong. I know that something was wrong and insisted that something was wrong, they sent me on my way. Had them checked again at 12K miles, same complaint and again they said nothing was wrong. Now having my 30k mile service done, I'm told that the rotors are shot but my brake pads are just fine??? I am no expert but this should not happen right? Also, they want me to pay for them to be replaced. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I have a 2012 passat tdi SE currently with 29k miles, since purchasing the car I've had strange issues with the brakes either not disengaging or overheating. I brought the car in at 2900 miles to have them inspected, dealer said nothing was wrong. I know that something was wrong and insisted that something was wrong, they sent me on my way. Had them checked again at 12K miles, same complaint and again they said nothing was wrong. Now having my 30k mile service done, I'm told that the rotors are shot but my brake pads are just fine??? I am no expert but this should not happen right? Also, they want me to pay for them to be replaced. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Should have went to a different dealership after the first ignored report. Now you need to provide documentation about your problems and how they weren't handled...good luck with that!

Bloomy97

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
You are correct about going to a different dealership, hindsight is 20/20. I do not know much about mechanics, thus trusting the dealership was what I chose to do (just a lowly mom of three here :). I do have the service records from the previous attempts to fix the problem. I have spoken to the service manager at the dealership my car is currently at and they have a tech from the factory coming this afternoon to look at a few cars (mine included). Anyhow, just wanted some type of back-up to take to the dealership should they try again to get me to pay for the replacement.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Bloomy97: Hopefully your initial complaint at 2900 miles, and all subsequent complaints, are in the VWoA computer. That would depend on whether or not the dealership is following correct protocol. It's possible your calipers are binding and causing the rotors to overheat. If the rotors at all 4 corners are damaged, I'd suspect something in the ABS or hydraulic system isn't allowing the pads to retract from the rotor.

Driving style can cause premature wear on the brakes. Are you a 2-foot driver, keeping your left foot on the brake pedal? This will cause the rotors to overheat, and ultimately, to warp, or just wear out. Also, if you're a "gentle" braker, it's possible that the rotors are damaged because of excessive, repetitive over-heating. If that's the case, any car you drive would exhibit early brake wear.

The best way to brake in these cars is to give a smooth, firm stab to break the car's momentum, then coast w/o any braking until the last few feet. This keeps the pads from glazing, and keeps rotor heat to a minimum. There are times when my passengers are bothered by that initial stab, but it can usually be done smoothly.

FYI, I've only read of one (maybe 2?) Passat TDI members here that have had to replace brakes (worn pads) before 30k miles. I'm at 40k now, and still have PLENTY of pad left.

Last edited:

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I'm glad you are getting some service. What has your MPG looked like over the miles?

Bloomy97

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Weird thing is that my brake pads are still in excellent condition, its the rotors which are bad?? Which I have no idea why. As for my driving style, I use it for mainly freeway driving (literally in the sticks) so no cars are really around. I went to the dealership to pick up my car, they gave me a loaner and stated that they want to look at it again tomorrow with the factory tech. The service manager said that if there was a problem (which they are saying now they cannot find one?) that they would fix the issue at their cost. Whole situation is so strange, especially because I am not mechanically inclined. It is difficult to know if I am asking the right questions. So all your input is greatly appreciated.

As for MPG, I am getting around 35 in the city and 45+ on the highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.