Bluetooth Problem

1alfie

TDI
2015 Passat Highline
I have a 2013 Passat TDI that I purchased new in late 2013. The only problem I've had with the car is with the bluetooth phone system. When using the bluetooth system and state the number I wish to call, I don't have a problem. When stating a name, the voice recognition system can't recognize the name and comes up with a different name from my contact list. Has anyone had a similar issues?

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
I find the voice name recognition works with good old fashioned 'Murican names pretty well. Any ethnic, names it has challenges with. It also works best with as quiet an environment as possible as well as good diction.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I haven't had good luck with it recognizing names. It seems to be a 50/50 crap shoot for me.

flyboybob

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 passat tdi se dsg, ‘15 passat tdi sel premium
bluetooth gets lost in translation

know what you mean about bluetooth hands free dialing from a contact list.
mine ONLY works if i say the name EXACTLY as it appears in my phone's contacts!

for instance, if i want to call my sweeetie and the list is organized like this:

herlastname, I.C.E. herfirstname

then the ONLY way i can consistently get bluetooth to dial correctly is to say the name exactly that way.
wierd.....but it works.

bob.

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
I activate Siri on my I-Phone and go from there. Not sure if you have an apple product or not, but it works better than the car's system. Siri "learns" to correct itself over time, so the more you use it the better it gets. I rarely get a bad look-up with this option. It may add one more step, although I feel its insignificant because the name I speak is nearly always recognized. Also, you have the option of adding nick-names. For instance, when calling my bride, I simply activate Siri, and say "call my Bride", and voila, the phone is ringing...

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
I gave up on the voice recognition within a week of owning the car. Fortunately, I only really call about a half dozen numbers so I put them all on the touch screen and that fixed that.

FWIW, I'm not sure any car's voice recognition works very well- our BMW is also lousy and my father-in-law has a new Audi A4 that he is trying very hard to train with varying levels of success. :)