Analog speedo

vwtdi4ever

Banned
TDI
2012 passat se tdi
My passat only has 1300 miles on it. I've noticed on the last couple of trips that the analog speedo shows anywhere from 56-57 mph when the rise is set at 55 (it's off at no matter what speed I set it for just using these speeds as an example). Anyways the digital speedo will be exact with the cruise control, but the analog is off. Anyone else notice this problem. It's kind of irritating like the fuel gauge not showing full unless u keep filling until it at the very top of the neck.

cj42

TDI
80 Rabbit,84 jetta,85 Jetta,03 Cummins, 2012 Passat SE 6MT Tdi
Mine is off by 1-2 mph. Has anyone speedo to GPS. I found my truck was off about 1-2 mph from my garmin last year.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
My speedo at 65 yields a true GPS of 66.4-67.8 mph every time I've measured it so far, on flat interstate.

Sharky

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI manual, 2012 Passat TDI manual
Welcome to owning a German car. This is normal.

-J
ditto.
Our 2011 Golf is off by a whipping 9% ! (tested using GPS and official highway mileage markers) So both the digital and analog are off by the same.
Luckily, our 2012 Passat is only off by 2-3% (haven't tested but close enough for me).

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
What is your manufacture date? The fuel gauge issue was resolved in later production such as mine which was 12/19.
I must have missed that bit of good news. How does is act now? We're still on the first (dealer) tank, and I'm curious to know what to expect.
Does it just reach to the full mark, or does filling the filler neck exceed the sender's range such that it stays pegged for a while like a ventectomied Mk.4? On a related note, how does the "range" display act as the car is driven a while without the sender registering consumption yet?

vwtdi4ever

Banned
TDI
2012 passat se tdi
What is your manufacture date? The fuel gauge issue was resolved in later production such as mine which was 12/19.
Will have to look. Car came in on the truck just a couple of weeks ago and I bought it before it was unloaded so it's production must be fairly recent.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
My speedo at 65 yields a true GPS of 66.4-67.8 mph every time I've measured it so far, on flat interstate.
Same here. Cruse & digital match, the "analog" and my Garmin are close.

BTW, I would bet the "analog" spedo is not really analog. They are electronic as well now but just use a different calibration.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
My manufacture date was on a sticker that was not attached to anything in my glove box.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
I must have missed that bit of good news. How does is act now? We're still on the first (dealer) tank, and I'm curious to know what to expect.
Does it just reach to the full mark, or does filling the filler neck exceed the sender's range such that it stays pegged for a while like a ventectomied Mk.4? On a related note, how does the "range" display act as the car is driven a while without the sender registering consumption yet?
Look at the "real DSG MPG" thread. I checked this on the very first fill-up in February.

I run the pump until it clicks. Keep the nozzle in the neck and wait about 10 seconds and then run again until it stops. Repeat once more. The gauge show exactly on the F, straight down on the dash.

It stays on the full mark for about 50 miles in my case.

I have figured the first tick counter-clockwise is 1 gallon used, second tick is 2 gallons and so on until the halfway mark which is about 8 gallons. There it seems to shift such that at the start of the red section it is 16 gallons and working back clockwise, yields 15, 14, 13, 12, 10 until the half way. So somewhere in there it goes from 8 gallons to 10 gallons.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Where do you find it? It's not in door jam and not on the sticker.
Open the driver's door. Look down on the B pillar (between front and rear door). Black sticker with white letters should be under the door strike plate.

Megarep

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL PLATINUM
My speedo reads 2 MPH slower than I am actually driving, checked it out against my GARMIN!

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
My speedo reads 1mph slower than actual, the cruise is 2mph slower than actual.

WFL

TDI
2012 TDI Passat DSG Grey Comfortline
My digital reads 105 and my analog reads 107-108 at a true 100KMPH. The analog also seems to drift around and is never quite the same at any given time. VW tell me that up to 15% is acceptable?

vwtdi4ever

Banned
TDI
2012 passat se tdi
VW tell me that up to 15% is acceptable?[/QUOTE]

There's a surprise answer from VW.

vwtdi4ever

Banned
TDI
2012 passat se tdi
Then don't read the topic. If you can't be constructive to the thread instead of being rude then go pound your chest on another thread.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Then don't read the topic. If you can't be constructive to the thread instead of being rude then go pound your chest on another thread.
This should be automatically posted at the beginning of every thread....thanks.

vwtdi4ever

Banned
TDI
2012 passat se tdi
Found my manufacturing date it was 2/12. But I still have to fill the fuel tank all the way too the top where it's about to spill out of the hole to get it to read full.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Rude? I think not. The point of "beaten to death" is to stop the next 20 peeps from rehashing a well known 'feature' of every VW. Anyone still curious about the topic will know to use the search tool.

vwtdi4ever

Banned
TDI
2012 passat se tdi
Like I said you don't have to read it if you don't like it. We were all perfectly fine discussing what we wanted to discuss. Thanks for your input but no thanks. Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

edsiajb

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Same here. Cruse & digital match, the "analog" and my Garmin are close.

BTW, I would bet the "analog" spedo is not really analog. They are electronic as well now but just use a different calibration.
I think most analog speedometers have been electronic for 20 years or so now....it has probably been a while since an analog speedo has had a real cable powered off the tranny.....

vwtdi4ever

Banned
TDI
2012 passat se tdi
I think most analog speedometers have been electronic for 20 years or so now....it has probably been a while since an analog speedo has had a real cable powered off the tranny.....
Does this mean it is something that really can't be fixed? I mean I can live with it if I have to but that's not the point. When you buy a new car I don't know about you but I expect everything to work as intended. I know a lot of people say yeah it's just VW and to just deal with it. Which again I can, but the quality control and testing just seems to be a total after thought.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Almost all cars in the US come with an intentional speedometer error. They do not want to be responsible for possible speeding tickets or accident injury. So to eliminate problems they build in an error causing the speedometer to read too high.

In most cars (all?) there is a second memory for the real mileage, but it is not normally displayed.