Lip Spoiler Install Gone Wrong

jlisboeta

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
My lip spoiler was installed today the dealer doesn't have a body shop on site so they sent it out. A quick glance and everything looked fine, it was a bit off-center but you would need a micrometer to tell the difference. I looked it over again when I got home and the lower right hand side is coming undone. It also appears that they used black doubled sided tape to adhere it to the trunk.

My first thought is to have the dealer remove it and re install it correctly. Need some advice?

CNNPress

TDI
12 Passat TDi
My lip spoiler was installed today the dealer doesn't have a body shop on site so they sent it out. A quick glance and everything looked fine, it was a bit off-center but you would need a micrometer to tell the difference. I looked it over again when I got home and the lower right hand side is coming undone. It also appears that they used black doubled sided tape to adhere it to the trunk.

My first thought is to have the dealer remove it and re install it correctly. Need some advice?
You have pics?

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
Looks terrible. It also doesn't really look like the VW lip spoiler, which I remember being rather smaller, but I could be misremembering. I do, however, remember clearly from looking at a Passat at the dealer with the port-installed spoiler that it was attached with a clear adhesive pad (looked a bit like a mouse wrist rest gel pad) that was the size of the entire spoiler footprint on the metal.

jlisboeta

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
yes please post some pics of the OEM spoiler. if it turns out that it's not the OEM part I will have to get my money back from the dealer.

thanks.

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
Here are some:

http://www.hrsprings.com/projects/detail/hr-springs-2012-passat-project/

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5408878-Pictures-of-rear-lip-spoiler

The Vortex link has more close-ups, but none show the bottom edge in a good light color. The H&R pictures include some that show (though from a distance) how the VW spoiler does not go down the back of the trunk much at all, which may be the most distinct difference from yours.

Yours reminds me very much of one I saw offered online for $115 just a week ago when we were still shopping for our car and wondering how badly to avoid a port-installed spoiler (because I want one big enough to see in the rear-view mirror). Presumably, your dealer charged the list $375?

Last edited:

jlisboeta

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
thanks for the info verylongdrive! yes the dealer did charge $375.00.. i scheduled a visit to the dealer on monday and my game plan is to ask for the part number of the lip spoiler and if it doesn't match i will ask them to remove the one they gave me and give me the right part or my money back.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
They normally put the VW part number on the invoice, how do they describe yours? It doesn't look VW to me.

Don

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Mine is a little off center as well. mine is the vw spoiler.....spoiler comes with adhesive material on it. watched mine being installed. I have the same two dimples. The problem is that the lip spoiler is just a little shorter then the trunk....drive more....worry less.

jlisboeta

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
So I talked with my dealer/installer and he informed me that spoiler will never fit 100% and if I wanted to adjust it they would have to charge me. So long story short I am going to remove the spoiler and do the work myself. Do you guys know what the best method to remove the spoiler would be? It seems like it will come off without a problem. Also what kind of adhesive would you guys recommend (3m) double sides tape?

goldgary

TDI
2012 Passat 6M
Once the spoiler is on, can you see where the end of trunk is? As in a visual aid in backing up. Right now, hard to tell where back of car is when backing up.

thanks, Gary

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Once the spoiler is on, can you see where the end of trunk is? As in a visual aid in backing up. Right now, hard to tell where back of car is when backing up.

thanks, Gary

Agree with you, and I am damn tall, a back up camera is what will fix that... it's an extra, think I saw an install of how to on VW vortex a while back.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
So I talked with my dealer/installer and he informed me that spoiler will never fit 100% and if I wanted to adjust it they would have to charge me. So long story short I am going to remove the spoiler and do the work myself. Do you guys know what the best method to remove the spoiler would be? It seems like it will come off without a problem. Also what kind of adhesive would you guys recommend (3m) double sides tape?
I would cancel payment on the install portion of that $375 package, not the part itself. They botched the job, it looks like a sh*t defective install with the centering.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
They shouldn't charge you anything to remove it and refund your money. It should fit properly or be removed for that kind of money.

firedwg1

Veteran Member
TDI
10 GSW, 12 Pass SEL, Tesla MS
They shouldn't charge you anything to remove it and refund your money. It should fit properly or be removed for that kind of money.

thats sound advice... +1 besides the car looks great without it

migbro

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL
A heat gun is your best friend for this kind of work.

As for the dealer, I guess he doesn't ever want to see you again.

Last edited: