Bluetooth Play/resume button ?

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Been an owner of a 2012 6MT TDI for about 2 hrs now. Was able to pair my Samsung S2 to it no problem and she plays just fine. However, can not seem to find dedicated Play/Pause button , all I see are Skip forward and backward buttons on the LH side of the steering wheel :confused: ?

In my previous car I used a $30 bluetooth gizmo - a clip on control with 4 buttons (Play/Pause, F & B, "phone") and she was really convenient like that and hands free as I didn't have to reach any other buttons other than ones clipped onto the steering wheel (or press anything on the phone's touch-screen).

ironpen

TDI
2012 Passat SEL TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
Do you have the RNS 315 or 510? On the 510, you do all that stuff on the Nav screen and not the steering wheel. Not sure how the other system works. Is there anything on the Nav Screen?? It works perfectly from there on mine, but I can't do anything from the MFD other than observe what's playing.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
Yet to figure what is it I bought :)

My goal is to keep the hands on the steering wheel for most of the buttons one uses with audio playback controls: vol, skip back/forward and play/pause. The latter seems to be missing ?

For now, I went back to my $30 blue-tooth adapter - via AUX and a clip-on button cluster. Darn shame cause the car already has the BT ...

bvencil

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI (6MT)
I have a 2011 JSW so things might be a little different, but do you have voice commands (BT phone calling, etc)? If so (and if it works the same as mine), just:

1. Press the voice command button the left side of the steering wheel.
2. After the lady says "main menu", you say "music".
3. After she repeats your command, say "help".
4. She will then list out several commands - Play, pause, stop, resume, next track and previous track.
5. Once you know the commands, you can simply say "music", "pause" to stop playback and similarly to resume.

All of these command work very well on my iPhone4S when it is connected via BT to the car. They work not only for the iPod app that comes with the phone, but also other music apps, such as Spotify.

Last edited:

Niner

duplicate account, banned
I just put my music on an 8 Gig SD card, plug it in the slot, and don't screw with ipod or the smart phone being plugged in. 8 Gig is plenty.

bvencil

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI (6MT)
I just put my music on an 8 Gig SD card, plug it in the slot, and don't screw with ipod or the smart phone being plugged in. 8 Gig is plenty.
Yeah, I do the same thing, except I use 16GB cards so I can get 2000 320kb MP3s on a card. I have 5 of 'em in the car, so that about 10K songs...

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Do you have the RNS 315 or 510? On the 510, you do all that stuff on the Nav screen and not the steering wheel. Not sure how the other system works. Is there anything on the Nav Screen?? It works perfectly from there on mine, but I can't do anything from the MFD other than observe what's playing.
He has RCD-510, no Nav.

AstroEng

TDI
2012 Passat TDI, 2005 Golf TDI (Sold)
I don't know about bluetooth, but for CDs and SD cards, the mute button (on the 315 nav system) pauses playback.

Maybe its the same on the RCD-510?

strongtm

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE Black
One thing that surprised me is that the car feels free to turn on my Pandora radio on my iPhone without asking me. And I don't even know it is playing. I just glance down and see my phone is playing. And I might be listening to satellite for example. Runs up my data minutes. I have to keep my eye on it.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
Check the "auto-start" settings- both in car settings and on your iPhone. Basically, this resumes PB as soon devices (audio head and the phone) re-discover each other.

I personally don't like that - when you just start the car, you're normally pulling out of a parking lot etc and having the muzak blare at ya right away is distracting.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
I'd rather listen to my car when driving, rather than distractions like phone calls and music. Much less chance of accidents when 100% focused on the task at hand instead of distractions. I can't believe the amount of idiots in the city with their Itunes stuffed in their ears, walking around as pedestrians, oblivious to the cars they share the city with, waiting to get run over, because they just are not paying attention when in cross walks, j walking, or what ever. It's hard enough with all those silent Priuses that make no noise when taking off from a stop.