I got this email from vw any body else ?

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel
... the VIN is in no way, shape or form 'private' information nor is it comparable to a US citizen's SSN.

If the VIN is 'private' information then why is it plainly visible from the exterior of the car at all times? In fact most jurisdictions REQUIRE it to be visible.
The VIN is a unique number that identifies the car that is registered to a unique individual with a unique SSN. The VIN is not as private to you as your SSN, but to a computerized database, it has all the same properites.

The VIN is attached to government databases with you as a person. Where I live, it is attached to your name, birthdate, and address. With a VIN anyone with access to a Motor Public Insurance terminal can look up your accident and registration history and everything that is related to it. Then it is a few steps towards accessing your credit card history. That could result in your credit rating going down.

The VIN is in plain view, but to get it, one would have to figure out where you live and hunt down your car. Far better to send out this kind of SPAM instead.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
This is real, I spoke with a real person on the phone... and she was not a foreigner. Their time table for this is a bit tight, though, and they actually were not originally interested as my Passat was 'too old' :p.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
This is real, I spoke with a real person on the phone... and she was not a foreigner. Their time table for this is a bit tight, though, and they actually were not originally interested as my Passat was 'too old' :p.
Any more details?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They want some short segmented videos of me and my Passat, sending me a camera FedEx, then upon completion and upload, I get $75... I get to keep the camera.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
I did the gig yesterday. No camera, if you have a laptop with video capabilities, and a smart phone that takes videos, and a 2012 passat tdi, you qualify.

Took me about 3.5 hours, they requested I re shoot one section, (the longest one with the most questions and input) out of 9 segments. $75 for 3.5-4 hours of my time is a joke. If you can afford a new 2012 passat TDI and spent close to 30k or more on it, your time is worth a lot more than what they are willing to pay for your opinions, and to video it for their research as a subject. For $200, it would barely be worth it. YMMV.

Last edited:

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel
VIN is not being requested. Take off the tin foil hat.
I stand corrected with the VIN being requested. However, it is never a good idea to reply to unsolicited email asking for information. It is very easy to spoof a legitimate company and one cannot tell for sure unless they go into the inards of the email and look at its routing information and the underlying code.

However, I did some research. They seem to be a marketing company. The BBB has reported one resolved complaint (no big deal). The server they use in in the United States and their online reputation isn't bad, it isn't stellar (but take it all for a grain of salt).

You can also check
I very much doubt that VW would sponsor this. It would be very easy for many high school students to craft a malicious email that looks like it is endorsed by VW and get into your computer using their corporate name as a lure. The promise of money, sex, and hope is always good bait.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
So why did I get a letter? I have never owned a Passat. WIll all VW owners get this or just ones that have responded to this thread? Hmmmm

And why are they asking what make and model if they supposedly already know and are targeting a segment?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I think they have a random mailing list from VW and they're cherry-picking addresses from it.

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel
So why did I get a letter? I have never owned a Passat. WIll all VW owners get this or just ones that have responded to this thread? Hmmmm

And why are they asking what make and model if they supposedly already know and are targeting a segment?
I don't think these people got your name from VW. They probably phished your name from some other source (they could be trolling social networking sites for example). Now they have your name, they are probably trying to gather more intelligence about you. By tying your name, email address, friends, type of car you drive, and type of car your friends drive, they are building up a little dossier on you so that they can in turn sell the information to someone else for more effective targetting purposes.

What that someone else is we will never know. If it was good to know, they would tell you.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Definitely not from social notworking sites! LOL

Well, unless you count TDIclub a social notworking site.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
I would love to ask her how she gathered my information and if she is willing to tell me I would participate. But I won't. I'm sceered of bugs.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
She isn't getting any contact from me. Unsolicited mail is junk and gets no response from me because that just feeds the trolls.

JettaTDiPA

Veteran Member
TDI
Owned 2011 JSW DSG for 16mo.
Sounds like a scam to me. Did you call the lady and ask for details? Would be nice if she could fax or email you something official from VW.
Totally agree - run, not walk away from this. VWOA would have been the contacting party.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
The camera they send is pretty nice. Even comes with a mini tripod :).

You get a check yet? I submitted mine on the 13th, nothing in the mail yet. Could be a scam, could be ultra slow payment too.

I am beginning to think scam... why they would be interested in marketing data on a 2004 passat made in Germany 8 years ago is pointless to VW now, with them making passats in the USA today.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Sweet! Free camera. Now watch to see if you get a bunch of spam in the mail as payment for the camera.