Mud flaps

Diesel Ed

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG); 09 Jetta TDI (DSG, Sedan)
Depending on the OE ones look and cost, i may just get rally armor flaps and some stainless screws from a fastener supply and be done.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Subscribed as I am interested in this too. The ebay ones might be the only option but I'm hesitant on them.

WeeeZer14

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE DSG
I bought a set from eBay. I received them the other day and they look fairly well made. The material is slightly flexible, which I think it a good thing. I had a mud flap on my Saturn VUE shatter when we drove over a piece of tire tread on the highway (I pieced it back together with some metal mending plates and rivets). I hope the flexibility would help with a situation like that.

They are NOT on the car yet since it is due to go into the body shop after getting rear-ended last week. :(

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Upon seeing this thread revived, I sent another email to the Vw Accessories team.

Unfortunately, they have been having some issues getting them perfected (and Lord knows what will happen if they aren't perfect).

So the ETA has been pushed back to November.

Sorry guys. I wish I had better news.

Knarrly Viking

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE 6MT, 2 of them!
Seems like there are some drivers who are dead set on having mud flaps. I had them standard on my old Subaru Outback, and that makes a lot of sense for a vehicle that was designed to do a little offroading.

What's the draw for you guys? Driving on dirt roads? The ground clearance isn't that high on these Passats, so I would never try going on anything but paved or well-groomed dirt roads at slow speeds.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I had to have them on my Jetta.

They do a heck of a job keeping stuff from getting splashed up on the doors and the rear bumper...

I installed them, then uninstalled them, then re-installed them. And they do make a considerable difference.

Claym

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE dsg with sunroof no nav
I have to drive a dirt road daily to get to work, and they can definitely help stop scratching. Even at low speeds if its the least bit damp the tires will kick up pebbles. I will definitely be following this thread

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I doubt there is anyone who has ever done extensive testing on this because I am willing to bet the effect is so miniscule.

If I am wrong though, I'm always open to learning new information.

WeeeZer14

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE DSG
I am by no means an aerodynamic engineer, but I'd assume that there is minimal to no impact on MPG since the flaps should basically be entirely in the wake of the tire itself. They are not sitting out in the open to push air directly. Any impact would therefore be to interrupting the slip stream off of the tires.

All this depends on how the airflow behaves around the stock car and I don't have a wind tunnel handy to check ;)

If you are in an area that sees snow though, expect the flaps to pick up some weight... snow and slush love to collect on any car with flaps I've had. Some to the point where it is a solid block of slush between the flap and the tire. (Tip: Kick the flaps gently when you park to dislodge what you can before it freezes solid.)

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
r11: There are several sources for Chinese mudflaps. Could you provide a link to the source you bought from? Thanks.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
she not that hard at all, but ain't no rubber either. Dunno how she holds up in 0F weather, but the way weather been, should not be a concern for most of us.

JARED_LA

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
she not that hard at all, but ain't no rubber either. Dunno how she holds up in 0F weather, but the way weather been, should not be a concern for most of us.
Any pics from side and back at further distance?

Knarrly Viking

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE 6MT, 2 of them!
For $21, I just purchased a set as well. This after having driven on a few dirt roads the past week, I can see that they are needed. Wheel arches just aren't wide enough.

WeeeZer14

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE DSG
Finally installed the flaps from Ebay. I was racing sunset when I did this, so camera phone could only do so much telling the difference between the night blue and the black.

Only took a few minutes per wheel. I used a T25 bit inside of a socket on a real small socket wrench. Still need to turn the front wheels out of the way, but otherwise no clearance issues.

My advice is to clean the inside of the wheel well and the painted body where the mud flap will go before you start. I did and I am very glad I did once I saw how dirty it was.

While repairing the bumper from getting rear ended, the body shop apparently lost a screw (bottom of left rear wheel well to bumper), but I just used one of the screws that came with the flaps to replace that.

I was too lazy to rotate the images, so turn your head ;)

Side view: (Click for larger image)

Rear view: (Click for larger image)

Front view: (Click for larger image)

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Your car must have been built in early April... Salamanca wheels and Jetta mirrors - just like ours. :cool:

WeeeZer14

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE DSG
Your car must have been built in early April... Salamanca wheels and Jetta mirrors - just like ours. :cool:
I still haven't checked the actual build date, but we picked it up at the dealer on April 24th so I think you are spot on.

One of my neighbors has a new CC and they park in the same row in the parking garage. I actually like the additional surface area of the Jetta mirror and I like the look of the Salamanca wheels as well :)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
We picked ours up from Chris on April 23rd. Right on the money.

Build date was April 2nd IIRC.

Twins!

Last edited: