TDI Cylinder Heads

r39o

TDI
Jetta, 2002, Silver - Beetle, 1998, Red
Do you test hardness before and after welding?

Also, my brand new complete with valves, lifters and cam head for my 98 NB was under $900 through VW. I was happy as I had lost a lifter that wiped the lifter bore and took the cam with it. (I'd post a picture, but I am too lame to figger it out how, it seems....)

(FYI: I have been rebuilding heads for gas Mercedes for decades and have found if you weld too much, it can get soft. So we weld in stages on heated up heads. It takes longer but strange things don't happen.)

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
r39o said:
Do you test hardness before and after welding?

Also, my brand new complete with valves, lifters and cam head for my 98 NB was under $900 through VW. I was happy as I had lost a lifter that wiped the lifter bore and took the cam with it. (I'd post a picture, but I am too lame to figger it out how, it seems....)

(FYI: I have been rebuilding heads for gas Mercedes for decades and have found if you weld too much, it can get soft. So we weld in stages on heated up heads. It takes longer but strange things don't happen.)
The high silicon aluminum alloys in a modern VW cylinder head aren't like your grandaddy's VW...

The head is welded while in a more plastic state (heated). If there is any difference between the weld and the base material, I can't tell it. The casting is much less prone to hardening and I do not find the need for annealing. The casting can be left overnight in the oven to cool slowly, if you desire, but I don't think there is any real need for that.

The wear and strength characteristics are built into the base metal. When it is machined, the obvious lack of patterning and contiguous cut profile speak of that. It's a very great alloy.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Thanks to the several of you that have purchased cylinder heads. I appreciate your business! On the 'how to's' getting the car up and running from a head install, just ask. Happy to help.

Any others who are debating whether a cylinder head install will take care of their problems, there are procedures to determine the value of rebuilding your head, exchanging for a different head or removing the entire engine for an engine swap. Detail what your situation is and I can recommend the diagnostic procedures.

Frank

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Last bump... I'll do something different. I'm investigating an improved wear and heat transfer valve guide...

I'll let y'all know how it goes.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I have been dealing with Frank on a rebuilt. I just received the head today and was very impressed with his work, honesty, and effort to provide understandable details as to the ins-and-outs of the process, i.e., cost factors, shipping, repair/rebuild procedures, etc.

Two thumbs up!

So, hopefully tomorrow evening/night we will install the head and have the 99.5 Beetle up and running.

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
Just to cross post for Frank, Please see my other post with pictures of his great work in the performance section. He is not just a craftsman he is an artist when it comes to head work here. Very very very helpful and easy to communicate with. I am sending more heads in the future to him. If you are looking for a stand up service at a great price Frank is indeed the guy to talk to.

PS- Frank I will get back to you over the phone once I get back from Mexico again to discuse my last core and the new head I might be shipping to you.

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
Frank: I have a B4 with the 1Z engine, has 285K(miles) and it has NOT been starting properly lately(I have it parked for now, don't want to mess up the good engine)!

I feel that one or more of the guides/seals are brittle and thus the compression is not good.
At start up, the engine smokes and sort of knocks until warm, then evens out!

Could you give me an idea on cost of R&R and shipping to ZIP 81147 ?
What better "head work" could be done to the head to get it to help the engine give more HP/TQ????
There is a RC3 being used now, clean EGR...

Thanks! John

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Ninedee... not a bad idea... You can buy a reasonably good compression tester, or I'd rent mine out if there's a need.

Last edited:

Paul7878

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI
I recently had a 1Z head redone by Frank. Fantastic guy to deal with! Kept me in the loop on everything. Very fair pricing on core exchange. The head was also top notch. I have had the head on my car for about 2 weeks and am very happy with it. Keep up the great work Frank!

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Franko6, do you do performance work on 1.8 8v gas motors? Specifically a flowed, hydraulic, big valve head for a 2.0 liter block?

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
Rabbitgti frank does do quite a bit of head work and I know for a fact he has built some monster heads for 2.0l give him a call and you will surely have more information than your brain can process on the stuff he has done.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Shorty... thanks for the compliments, but I have to defer...

The 1.8 engine that has interested me is the 1.9 ALH block topped with a 1.8 20v or 16v. So far as my personal expertise in them, I can only say there are so many with hands-on experience. However, the principles are the same. It depends on what you want done.

My flowbench experience is not recent and I'd love to get a TDI head flowed, let alone a 1.8. Luc (dieselluex) and I were talking recently and he had some design ideas for building a flowbench. If things slow down, I'd consider doing that.

The advantages of cc'ing a 1.8 head, along with port and polish is defenitely a big for a gasser. Without the R & D and some trial and error on a flowbench, there are some minimal practices that will improve about any head, but without the equipment, I'd be shooting in the dark for a more advanced setup. There are tons of 'off the shelf' mods for those engines. Let your imagination go wild.

There is Pitguy who is around here and Vortex who was scheming and building for a AEB bolted to a 1.9. Most punch them out to a 83mm bore, but they are ending up with around a 10.5:1 stroker. I've heard some numbers around 400 hp, but I don't have anything verified. Pitguy and his buddies would know more about that.

There are LOTS of professional builders making longblock 1.8 strokers. GMG,EIPTuning, to name a couple. They have the routes down. I'd guess that would be better than me trying to reinvent the wheel. Those guys at GMG are selling euro aftermarket intake manifolds that go from the standard 42 x 26mm intake to some crazy 56 x 26 intake and from 32mm to 36mm exhaust! When you are building one of those engines, there is only one question builders really want to know..."How much money have you got?"

Last edited:

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I now have the ability to do alignnment boring 'in situ'. The benefits of alignment boring can be done without removing the cylinder head. It is a time-consuming operation, and although it is not the replacement for every situation, it certainly cost effective compared to the time to R & R the head to your local machine shop.

1320racing

TDI
Former 1998 New Beetle TDI owner
artist / machinist

Frank-
thanks for the phone call today... you certainly have given me some very valuable and much appreciated knowledge regarding the issue with my recently acquired '02 Jetta TDI wagon.

we'll speak soon, kind regards, Ralph Nitt

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I think there is more to selling a head than just selling a head.

I have had a number of people ask detailed and specific questions how to properly install a cylinder head. I hang out on the threads readily offering the kind of helpful advice people have come to expect on TDIClub. I've always offered 800 phone access for those who are looking for help. I am readily available.

I also have a warrantee with each head for 1 yr, unlimited mileage from date of receipt. I think that is worth a great deal.

Also, except for only two procedures, which anther will soon be done entirely in house, all workmanship is mine, and I work exclusively on the VW diesel engines. It is one thing to assemble a head; it's quite another to do it right. Pride in workmanship is worth the expense.

Also, I have had a number of requests for modifications beyond a simple, rebuilt head. There are a number of improvements, especially in the exhaust porting and by match porting that will enhance performance.

Another advantage is my past experience racing and what components that will improve not only performance but also reliability. Some things demand close scrutiny and depth of knowledge to create a good product. Quality and engineering are two of em. There is no replacement for attention to detail

I have two credos:

"Build it like you're gonna buy it."

"Build it once, build it right."

Attention to detail will always pay dividends.

The price is out there for everyone to see. That's fair and aggressive pricing. I suppose I can be undercut, but then, something will have to suffer. I say go with the best. You'll not be disappointed. So, as for competitors, I'll put my product head to head with anyone.

Also, just so you know, I will be coming out with a new valve guide within the next two weeks. The current product from Bilstein, which most rebuilders use is too soft and has trouble making more than 150k. I'll be offering a replacement racing style guide, with metallugy proven on the track. Currently under R & D, I expect to roll them out in August.

Last, I've been approched quite often about porting and polishing... I'll make a separate post concerning that issue. I've got some good ideas.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Once the head is in my possession, I can work as fast as two days, depending on what needs done. It also depends on the load as I work first come first serve, but try to make finished product in no more than 7 days. Recently, backordered parts got me in a bit of a bind. I'll aleve that situation by keeping more parts in stock. I normally ship UPS Mid-States and Priority Mail to the Coasts. 3 days is average transit time.

Contact info:

Frank's TDI's
Frank Irving
1007 Olive St.
Lockwood, MO 65682
WATS: 1-800-677-4988
FAX or Ph: 417-232-4634
Cell: 417-425-9446

tongboy

Veteran Member
TDI
91 Jetta TDI Swap, 97 M3 LS1 Swap
What this man does to cylinder heads is not machining, it's ART

He has been one of if not the best people to do business with long distance that I have ever had the joy of working with.

I would and will recommend him to EVERYONE that needs cylinder head work

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Jeremiah,

Thank you VERY MUCH! It's been a pleasure to do business with you also.

"Build it like you're gonna buy it."

2003 Jetta

TDI
2003 Jetta
Frank is the real deal...

I did not plan on replacing the cylinder head in my car. When the engine lost time, it made that decision for me. It was stressful, and I was extremely frustrated. I found Frank's thread and in the interest of getting a quality product at a good price, I decided to "take a chance" and order from a guy that I had never met. Frank worked hard to get my head done quickly, and the mechanic who installed it was very impressed. As for me, I now have my car back, and it is running better than ever. Frank is not only able to deliver a high quality product, but his communication skills are second to none and will keep you sane when you hit stress. Read all the glowing recommendations about his work in this thread. However, if you need a cylinder head, just call and talk to him once. That's all you'll need to know that Frank Irving is the REAL DEAL!

Sincere thanks Frank,

Damon

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
Well luck was on my side....somehow it was.
The tensioner nut backed off and therefore it lost tension on the belt. It took 60k miles for the tensioner nut to come loose (since last TB change) It jumped two teeth. Mogolf pulled the cam and thought it to be in good shape, timed it up and it flashed right up (after turning it over by hand to feel for interference of course)

Back on the road in no time.

tks for your offer to help with your skills ;)

Dave

Franko6 said:
let me know what's up, Dave...

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
KS97Passat said:
Frank, maybe you've gone to the Old Navy GTG in Poplar Bluff in the past. If not, I hope you consider going this October. Here's the thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=177181
It's already figured in the works... Randy, Dzlnator ( areal good buddy TDI'er) and I are looking forward to it.

Seeya there....

Last edited: