P3Cars Digital Vent Gauge - Anyone Using?

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
LokiWolf,

I got a regen on video today. I think an 1100F threshold for the regen warning is too high. My car ranged from 1070-1130 or so during the entire regen. I would recommend having P3Cars set the threshold to 1000 or 1050 at the most in order to avoid having the warning light go on and off.

I'll upload the video later today.
Yeah, I had noticed the same. Mine got as low as 1040 in one temp drop, but then went right back up, most of it was above 1100. I just sent them a message.

collector_edi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Experienced another regen today with the P3. One week from the last one and maybe 130 miles driven, if that. The last one occurred on the highway. The rest of the driving was short trips until taking it in the highway today. This interval seems a bit short. Am I wrong? The regen cycle before this one had a similar mileage interval.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Short trips and cold weather reduce the regen interval. Remember that cold starts and short drives use a lot of fuel (30 MPG vs 45 MPG for a highway trip?). The emissions from that fuel being burned must be trapped in the DPF. The more you trap, the more frequently it must be burned off.

You will notice the intervals getting farther apart as the weather warms up and as you take longer trips.

collector_edi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Short trips and cold weather reduce the regen interval. Remember that cold starts and short drives use a lot of fuel (30 MPG vs 45 MPG for a highway trip?). The emissions from that fuel being burned must be trapped in the DPF. The more you trap, the more frequently it must be burned off.
You will notice the intervals getting farther apart as the weather warms up and as you take longer trips.
I see. Thanks for the enlightenment!

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
I finally saw my first regen today on the SC 2. I am glad I got this thing, the regen started about 4 minutes before I would have been home in the garage. I just took the scenic lap around town and it finished and cooled off before I got home. :)

By the way it went about 600 miles before it regened.:D

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
Yeh not sure if I missed one, was trying to keep watching it because I wanted to see what it would look like. I run about 90 miles a day round trip almost all freeway at about 75-80 mph (2300-2500 rpm). Wasn't sure if it would passive clean it self and that's why the temp never spiked above 700, but it shot up above 1100 during the active regen.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
So update:

It is a chip swap to upgrade, will have it in the next few days. I will report as to how complicated it is and post pictures.

One thing the Tech and I were discussing, the option for Injection Timing. I see no need to have that. Anybody see a need for it. If not, what would you like to see in its place? I was thinking the Cat B1S1, so both the PreTurbo, and B1S1. Anything else ya'll can think of?

-Loki

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
OT, but does the auto Passat spin that fast at 75-80? I didn't know the gearing was that much different between manual and automatic. My Golf is doing 2200 at 80.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
So update:

It is a chip swap to upgrade, will have it in the next few days. I will report as to how complicated it is and post pictures.

One thing the Tech and I were discussing, the option for Injection Timing. I see no need to have that. Anybody see a need for it. If not, what would you like to see in its place? I was thinking the Cat B1S1, so both the PreTurbo, and B1S1. Anything else ya'll can think of?

-Loki
I don't think injection timing would be very useful. If they can provide you with four options, I would go with pre-turbo EGT, pre-cat EGT, boost gauge pressure (PSI), and water temperature. Those are the most useful pieces of information I have found to monitor.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I don't think injection timing would be very useful. If they can provide you with four options, I would go with pre-turbo EGT, pre-cat EGT, boost gauge pressure (PSI), and water temperature. Those are the most useful pieces of information I have found to monitor.

Already have Boost, and water. So I will recommend Cat B1S1, which is pre cat, or Bank 1, Sensor 1.