Strange and troubling new noise.

dee74

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Well I just got my car back for a few days after having a blown turbo replaced and a new noise starts up. The location of the noise is back by the rear passenger door, I assume near the fuel tank. The noise sounds like a dentist drill on a tooth at high rpms. The noise starts immediately on startup and ends as soon as I turn the ignition off. Could this be a failing HPFP?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
HPFP is on the engine. The pump in the back is an electric in-tank low pressure fuel pump.

I experienced this noise once when it was low on fuel (but only once!)... refilling the tank made it go away.

The other possibility is that it's your AdBlue pump, but that pump also runs for about 15 seconds approximately 10 seconds after you turn off the engine (to purge all of the DEF out of the lines and back to the tank for safe keeping). If this was your problem, I'd think you'd hear it after stopping the engine in addition to while the engine was running.

dee74

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
OK So by the location it is not the HPFP. The tank is a little over half full at this time so I think that is plenty to keep the pump submerged. I just drove a little again and the noise definitely ends immediately after shutting off the car.

Bug Smasher

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Their are three reasons for a noisy fuel tank lift pump that I can think of:
1. Low fuel. This, apparently, is not the case.
2. Some sort of restriction to fuel flow (i.e. algae, solid debris) somewhere between the lift pump and HPFP, causing the lift pump to work harder than usual. Try replacing the fuel filter and see if it helps the noise go away. If the noise is still there, try running a shot of fuel system detergent like Stanadyne Injector Cleaner. See if that has an effect. If it doesn't:
3. Lift pump is failing. Fortunately, it is not too difficult to replace, as the part is easily accessible if you remove the rear seat bench.

Are you still under warranty?

dee74

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Their are three reasons for a noisy fuel tank lift pump that I can think of:
1. Low fuel. This, apparently, is not the case.
2. Some sort of restriction to fuel flow (i.e. algae, solid debris) somewhere between the lift pump and HPFP, causing the lift pump to work harder than usual. Try replacing the fuel filter and see if it helps the noise go away. If the noise is still there, try running a shot of fuel system detergent like Stanadyne Injector Cleaner. See if that has an effect. If it doesn't:
3. Lift pump is failing. Fortunately, it is not too difficult to replace, as the part is easily accessible if you remove the rear seat bench.

Are you still under warranty?
If this is included in the power train warranty I am still covered. I am not sure if it is.

jriels74

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI
Check out my thread called 'Please help identify noise".

I would post the link, but the forum would not let me.

Watch my youtube video and see if it is the same noise.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e

jriels74

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI
When I tried to post the link, it told me I did not permission to do that.
No matter what I did next, it logged me off and I had to log back in.

After a few tries I came to the conclusion I could not post a link.

I bet what the OP is talking about is the same problem I have.
Tomorrow I will get an answer----or at least I hope so.