2012 passat tdi wire harness at oil filter location

mppsinc

TDI
1951 John Deere Model R Diesel, 1985 Mercedes 300SD Diesel, 1999 Ford F250 Super Duty 7.3L Diesel Long Bed Crew Cab, 2004 John Deere X495 Diesel, 2011 Sportwagen TDI, 2012 Passat SEL TDi Premium
A note to 2012 Passat TDI owners..........
The wire harness that is located behind the upper oil filter housing may be chafing on the oil filter housing.
I noticed this on my new 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium while performing my first oil change.
I recommend installing some form of protection at this location to prevent the aluminum oil filter housing from gnawing through the wire harness insulation and creating a problem of probably epic proportions.
Respectfully Submitted, Ben

Niner

duplicate account, banned
A note to 2012 Passat TDI owners..........
The wire harness that is located behind the upper oil filter housing may be chafing on the oil filter housing.
I noticed this on my new 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium while performing my first oil change.
I recommend installing some form of protection at this location to prevent the aluminum oil filter housing from gnawing through the wire harness insulation and creating a problem of probably epic proportions.
Respectfully Submitted, Ben
How about a picture, with some arrows, if you get the chance?

pogo

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf/02/5spd 230K Passat SE/12/DSG 50K
No visible wear yet on ours at 3500 mi. Its kind of hard to see, let alone get a picture because the branch from the harness hugs the oil filter casing and doesn't have much slack to allow it to be pulled away for inspection. Guess we'll have to wait for people with more miles to check.

I figure that's a risk of buying the new Passat this year, instead of 3 years from now. I'm curious about the EGR pipe being so close to the wiring harness. The (thin) fiberglass EGR wrap and harness wrap are in pretty solid contact in our car, but I assume that's not an issue.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
In the USA, from the Quantum TD to the Passat TDI, Vw has never run more than 2 years worth of production. 83 to 84 for the Quantum, 96 and 97 for the B4, 04 and 05 for the B5 and 2012 so far for the B7. No idea if history will repeat itself or not.