Stuck. Tow Hooks?

Wedge

TDI
2012 Passat 6MT
Boy do I feel like a bone head! My beautiful Opera Red baby has been sitting on the lawn just a few feet from my driveway for the past two days...stuck.

I moved it there the other day to spray it off with the hose and then when I went to leave the next morning the tires just spun. Must be March in New Hampshire. Just a bit muddy and a slight incline.

What supprised me the most is when I looked under the car to find a tow hook. Wow...never seen anything like it. Engine compartment & suspension all sealed up tight as a drum behind a plastic door.

So I am going to have someone help me push the car back to safety later today. But if I had to pull it where would I hook onto???

I hope everyone has a good weekend and have a good laugh at my bone headedness!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Tow hook should be located on the passenger's side of the front bumper, likely behind a cover of some sort.

Another option would be to take a tow strap and thread it through one of the rear wheels and pull gently.

tomc585

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
I know my jetta has a little cover in the bumper that hides a hole where you screw in the recovery ring which is stowed with the spare tire

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Crack open that Owners Manual and read up. It has answers to almost every question you could ask about your TDI. There's a lot of expensive components behind your grille in your engine compartment, that needs to stay salt free, for good reason. Hence why everything is sealed up.

Last edited:

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP

Wedge

TDI
2012 Passat 6MT
Thanks for the speedy replies. I am going to check the owners manual as soon as I get home. At some point I am going to need to know.

Wedge

TDI
2012 Passat 6MT
So it looks like it's the old heave hoe, no way to tow. Gotta move it soon, chickens are starting to peck at it!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Tow strap through the rim... Damn those pesky yard birds. ;)

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Boy do I feel like a bone head! My beautiful Opera Red baby has been sitting on the lawn just a few feet from my driveway for the past two days...stuck.

I moved it there the other day to spray it off with the hose and then when I went to leave the next morning the tires just spun. Must be March in New Hampshire. Just a bit muddy and a slight incline.

What supprised me the most is when I looked under the car to find a tow hook. Wow...never seen anything like it. Engine compartment & suspension all sealed up tight as a drum behind a plastic door.

So I am going to have someone help me push the car back to safety later today. But if I had to pull it where would I hook onto???

I hope everyone has a good weekend and have a good laugh at my bone headedness!
It is still winter where you are, right? LOL! Laughing with you, not at you.

Wedge

TDI
2012 Passat 6MT
Yes, I got it moved Friday night. A couple boards in front of the wheels and a push. At least now I know that the car is not rope towable. Not sure if I would have the stomach for putting a strap thru the wheel.

Took it for a wash and a few other errands yesterday and got 47.1 MPG over a 30 mile trip (stopping at four stores!). And so much fun to drive. :D

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Yes, I got it moved Friday night. A couple boards in front of the wheels and a push. At least now I know that the car is not rope towable. Not sure if I would have the stomach for putting a strap thru the wheel.

Took it for a wash and a few other errands yesterday and got 47.1 MPG over a 30 mile trip (stopping at four stores!). And so much fun to drive. :D
Unless you are very good at measuring such a small amount when topping off the tank or had a separate tank with a known quantity of fuel (what they do in testing) then you cannot say the MPG on only 30 miles. :)

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Unless you are very good at measuring such a small amount when topping off the tank or had a separate tank with a known quantity of fuel (what they do in testing) then you cannot say the MPG on only 30 miles
Sure he can, matter of fact he did:D Come on Tom, the MFD on these cars is pretty darn accurate, just take the readings for what they are, close enough for this type of fun reporting.

Wedge

TDI
2012 Passat 6MT
Just derived via MFD. I should have mentioned that.

Is it considered okay for the car to coast it in nutral? Without holding the clutch pedal down. Not at the expense of the brakes though.

Thanks.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Just derived via MFD. I should have mentioned that.

Is it considered okay for the car to coast it in nutral? Without holding the clutch pedal down. Not at the expense of the brakes though.

Thanks.
Yes. Coating in neutral with the clutch out won't hurt a thing.

kromicacid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL - Fixed

Not close or consistant enough for me to rely on MFD...

I know my numbers are not great, but I live in a town with stops every block for 2.5 miles to my work. Then I get on the highway 2-3 times a week, and around Philly/NJ.

Last edited: