www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old January 14th, 2020, 07:32   #1
jdulle
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 96 B4, 97 B4
Default B4 ran for 2 minutes without oil

My wife borrowed my car for a road trip yesterday. Along the way she lost oil and heard the buzzer/oil light, but couldn't pull over for a couple of minutes. What are the chances the engine/turbo is still OK? Apparently the temperature gauge never went up, and it was running more or less normally when she shut it down. Also she said she was coasting as much as she could.

I think I will go down tomorrow and tow it back...bummer.
jdulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 08:06   #2
Almost1

TDI(s): '96 B4 Sedan

Maybe you got lucky and the pressure switch went out. I'd check the level when you get there. I can't speak for sure to damage from use, but I'd imagine your bearings didn't like it. You'd have to hook up a mechanical gauge and see if the oil pressure is normal. Usually a tell tale sign of damage is low oil pressure once you get it running again. That and clouds of smoke

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Almost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 08:37   #3
jdulle
Veteran Member

I think there was quite a bit of oil on the ground, so I am guessing its not the switch. Though that would be awesome if it was the switch. Maybe more likely the oil cooler seal or turbo.
Old January 14th, 2020, 08:55   #4
Mozambiquer
Veteran Member

We had that happen with our old 2.slow, though granted that's not a turbo engine, it drove 10 miles after the light came on and surprisingly sustained no damage, even though it had drained all the oil out. I'd refill it and carefully start it up, listening for knocks and all. Maybe pull the turbo inlet loose and check for excessive shaft play first.
Of course fix the leak.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
Old January 14th, 2020, 09:15   #5
JETaah

Fuel Economy: 53 max, 42 min, average 46

Sometimes the oil pressure switch is known to leak around the terminal. Cross your fingers.

Last edited by JETaah; January 14th, 2020 at 09:17.
JETaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 13:58   #6
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

That's a long time after the buzzer goes to run the engine, especially at temp and road speed rpm's...

I wouldn't hold out much hope but maybe, won't know until you find out what happened.

Steve
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 14:19   #7
BleachedBora

Reminds me of the lady that called me up a few years ago saying that she needed a balance shaft delete kit. I always ask if the oil light had come on, and if so how long was it on...(I usually hear yes, and somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-10 seconds).
She said that the oil light came on when she was 50 miles from home, and the engine stopped/wouldn't crank just a few blocks from making it home.

Naturally she needed a lot more than just a balance shaft delete kit....

--------

In any case, you might get off lucky on this one -- though I fear for the health of your turbo...
BleachedBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 16:15   #8
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

i say fill it up with oil and new filter. drive it as normal. the cost to repair anything that could have gone wrong would cost more than the car is worth unless you DIY it and even at that its about even. if it lasts, it lasts. either call an uber when it goes dead on the road or get AAA.
it could be fine. i have and many others have ran low or hot on oil and nothing much comes of it. not much you can do thats worth doing. just have a back up plan incase it does not end well.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 19:01   #9
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

^^^^ That’s probably the best advice I’ve ever seen you give...

-Todd
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 19:36   #10
DivineChaos
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETaah View Post
Sometimes the oil pressure switch is known to leak around the terminal. Cross your fingers.
had a car that the switch went bad. was broke, checked the oil, no knocking so kept driving. well the sensor is by the manifold. stopped working because enough oil leaked by. then it started spraying the exhaust manifold. man was that a smoke show. and what a mess.
DivineChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2020, 08:58   #11
rallywagon
Veteran Member

Exclamation Short Change Oil and Listen

My oil cooler gasket blew out on my AHU, and I drove about 3 miles with no oil. I recommend replacing oil and filter, driving for a hundred miles, and replacing oil and filter again. Then drive like normal and listen for new sounds for a thousand miles or so. It might be fine. Mine has been.
rallywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2020, 13:03   #12
jdulle
Veteran Member

The garage said the supply and return hose for the turbo were bad. So I am thinking of replacing the turbo, since it wouldn't be too much more labor. If the car was at home and it was summer I would probably just replace the lines and give it a try. I just have to see if I can come up with enough money to get a good (non Chinese) turbo.
Old January 15th, 2020, 13:04   #13
jdulle
Veteran Member

I think I'll try the 100 mile oil change, too, good idea.
Old January 15th, 2020, 16:26   #14
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallywagon View Post
My oil cooler gasket blew out on my AHU, and I drove about 3 miles with no oil. I recommend replacing oil and filter, driving for a hundred miles, and replacing oil and filter again. Then drive like normal and listen for new sounds for a thousand miles or so. It might be fine. Mine has been.
That gasket should be on a 3 year change interval IMO.

Steve
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2020, 05:28   #15
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

My daughter put a hairline crack in her oil pan after hitting a ground out section of road that was not marked. Her oil light came on in the middle of a long narrow bridge. She pulled over as soon as possible, perhaps a minute or so after the light came on.

The turbo was shot but the engine was fine. Fortunately I had a spare oil pan and a spare turbo. She’s been back on the road for over a year and about 20k miles.
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote