Fuel additives

Baba-booey

TDI
MKVI Golf
Any recommended additives for TDIs? I have a ‘14 Golf. I use Lucas in my Cummins, but wasn’t sure what’s recommended for TDIS. Thanks.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Nothing is recommended by VW. There are tens of thousands of threads and posts here where people will recommend everything under the sun that is available. Really using fresh fuel from a well supplied station is all that is required.

Louie710

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta sedan 2002 Jetta wagon
I thought i read somewhere there was a tbs where vw recommends stanadyne if you need an additive for cold temps i could be wrong tho

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
While nothing may be recommended officially by VW, I would run a DPF cleaner fuel additive now and then. LiquiMoly makes one called "DPF Protector" that you can find for $9 or $10 online.

I've run 1 can in my TDI so far, and using my Scangauge I'm noticing slightly longer intervals between DPF regens.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Maybe for the older cars. They have a demo showing them starting a newer CR version down to 20 below zero F IIRC. Cold weather is one time where I would use an additive and/or a Frost heater. Maybe constant temps below 10 or 20 degrees F. Still probably not needed with proper additives in your pump fuel but it won't hurt and may help.

garreth5

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta
Never tried, but I heard good things about Opti-Lube and Power Service.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Nothing is recommended by VW. There are tens of thousands of threads and posts here where people will recommend everything under the sun that is available. Really using fresh fuel from a well supplied station is all that is required.
Agreed that fresh fuel should be enough to keep the vehicle running. I'm not sure that I agree that it is enough to ensure long life of vital components like the HPFP. Our fuel lubricity rating is right on the cusp of being inadequate.

For example, the Shell diesel lubricity rating is 400μm. Chevron is 460μm. BP is between 400 and 460μm. The US maximum rating is 520μm whereas in the EU it is 460μm and Bosch says for long life it needs to be 460μm or better.

That's too close for comfort for me.

I thought i read somewhere there was a tbs where vw recommends stanadyne if you need an additive for cold temps i could be wrong tho
There was a TSB back in the MkIV days that says you could/should use Stanadyne in cold weather. However, they also stated additives are not required/recommended for the Common Rail TDI's.

Personally, I use Opti-Lube XPD in mine. I have since day 1 and I will till the day I can no longer drive my TDI. Am I throwing my money away? Possibly. Am I extending the life of my HPFP? There's no way to absolutely know for sure. Is $60 every 6 months or so acceptable to me for my peace of mind? Yup.

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Just as Fixmy59bug does, though I use the silver bottle of PowerService year round since I'm never in cold temps.
I can honestly say that I think it's just a panacea or a placebo effect since by the seat of my pants I see no difference in performance.

Having said that, I once had a misfueling in Arkansas by a station attendant. In my mind I credit the additives I used at the time for avoiding any engine damage.
Then I used PS silver, one oz 2 stroke motor oil and a product called Diesel Kleen all dumped in at a fillup.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Most of the stations here have at least some bio mixed in the fuel. Due to that I don't worry over lubricity issues. That and the long, long warranty that covers these cars. I still have 130k miles to go on mine.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Most of the stations here have at least some bio mixed in the fuel. Due to that I don't worry over lubricity issues. That and the long, long warranty that covers these cars. I still have 130k miles to go on mine.
Yep. b5 and b10 here at the pumps in Texas that I fill up at. I do not see a reason to add bottles of additives when the best additive is already in the fuel. Now if they would just stop switching the pump handle colors. A missfuel would negate any years of using additives. That is the biggest fear and I have seen a miss fuel before on a 70,000 truck before. Always have to check around here and verify before filling up.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There are many pumps that dispense three levels of gasoline as well as Diesel.
What if some nasty bugger switches gas hose to the Diesel holder.
I look for the dirtiest handle which will always be the Diesel hose!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Pay attention to what you are doing and these things don't happen. Find the pump that says diesel on it. Look where the hose is connected to the pump. Follow that to the handle. Never misfuel this way. Really though just pay attention to what you are doing.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I like to use Redline. There is a winterized version for cold months. Have to get it online however, as it isn't regularly stocked locally.

I am also able to buy fuel from Irving stations. They barge their fuel from their Canadian refinery. Since it is Canadian spec fuel, it tends to be a little better in the lubricity department from 'murican spec fuel.

But to each his own.

Cheers,

PH

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
Many choices. Power Service is very widely used, but I don’t use it anymore. The concentration differs according to container size, which makes pouring the right amount confusing. More important, I’ve been stranded with gelled fuel after using the winter formula. So I’m done with PS.

What I’ve been using instead is Schaffer’s. My car’s mpg improved noticeably when I started using the non-winter version. I’ve only added the winter formula once and we haven’t had a lot of bitter cold weather yet (but now that I’ve said that, we will). I like that you only need 2 ounces per 15 gallons of fuel.

The guys at NAPA told me that many big rig truck drivers come in and buy it, which, to me, is a very credible endorsement.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Power Service is very widely used, but I don’t use it anymore. The concentration differs according to container size, which makes pouring the right amount confusing. More important, I’ve been stranded with gelled fuel after using the winter formula. So I’m done with PS.
Interesting - hadn't heard that about PS before. I've been running 8oz PS per fill-up the last couple years, because the dosing instructions (when they still put them on the bottle) said 4oz/15 gallons but to go double-dose if any Biodiesel present (at least one pump I frequent has a sticker noting up to B5).

I just restocked my winter additive, and wasn't able to get the large PS white jug, so grabbed a bottle of Howe's this time. Will be a couple fills before I get any of that in the tank (have 2 tanks' worth of PS left to use first). Be interesting to see if I notice any difference when I switch over to the new stuff...

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Well, that's not encouraging. Fortunately it doesn't often get that cold in NJ.

Will have to look around to see where I'd have to go to find Schaffer's around here, hopefully my local Napa/Autozone/Advance carries it.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
the only additive that makes a real difference for me is the Liqui Moly LM2002, and ive tried quite a few if not all

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
+1 !!!!

READ THE PUMP - then you don't need to worry about the pump handle color.
No ****. I was referring to whole banks of diesel pumps being replaced by that gay ethanol fuel. Some switched to ethanol but.then back to diesel. But you are right always check the pumps and the skimmers , they are all over the place.

Additive wise I doubt the masses use any anyway and their cars are fine. If it makes you feel better spending money on the stuff go for it but we have b5-10 here already so no additives for me other than what comes out of the handle.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Many choices. Power Service is very widely used, but I don’t use it anymore. The concentration differs according to container size, which makes pouring the right amount confusing.
With all due respect, but that is a lot of B.S!

The factory pours the same liquid in all sizes of containers, from their smallest to the biggest !!!

It's how the user measures PS into the fuel tank which differs.

I pour PS into 8oz bottles I have to add to a fillup, which is a MEASURED amount!

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
I've used 3 kinds of fuel.

Kum&Go
Shell
Safeway

I know Kum&Go adds PS to the fuel already. They advertise 10% already mixed in. I get the best MPGs with Kum&Go diesel

I like Shell fuel, but they advertise their diesel is from a 3rd party. I usually lose 1-2 MPG on Shell Diesel so I only buy it when Kum&Go is not available.

I used to use Safeway Diesel in my 2011 Jetta. It seemed to like the crap and made 41-42 mpg. But my 2013 Sportwagen hates it. I usually drop 2-4 mpg on safeway diesel and therefore avoid it now.

I add 1 can of Seafoam about every 3 - 6 months. Seems to keep the injectors clean and engine running smooth. However, last time I changed the fuel filter at 80k (has 87k now) I used the Liqui Moly Diesel Purge. Did per their recommendation; emptied the filter canister, filled canister with filter and Liqui Moly, and put the rest in the tank. So I think im good for another 3k before another bottle of Seafoam.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
With all due respect, but that is a lot of B.S!

The factory pours the same liquid in all sizes of containers, from their smallest to the biggest !!!

It's how the user measures PS into the fuel tank which differs.

I pour PS into 8oz bottles I have to add to a fillup, which is a MEASURED amount!
Actually, I know that I am correct. I wrote to Power Service a couple of years back and they said the concentrations were different. But they probably lied.

Apology accepted.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, that's not encouraging. Fortunately it doesn't often get that cold in NJ.

Will have to look around to see where I'd have to go to find Schaffer's around here, hopefully my local Napa/Autozone/Advance carries it.
Or truck stops, I suppose.

asgoodasdead

TDI
2011 Jettta Sportwagen TDI
i run Howe's occasionally(recommended by my diesel mechanic buddy) and stick to exxon diesel efficient, shell, or bp/amoco. and make sure to change my fuel filter every 20k as scheduled

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Thanks. So just a thought for poster ToBiN to perhaps reconsider using Seafoam in a TDI as any amount of alcohol is not recommended (do your own search of course to verify).

I presume if you want a strong and safe way to clean/cleanse the fuel system of your TDI you may use this one very occasionally:

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/diesel-fuel-system/bg-245-diesel-premium-fuel-system-cleaner/

There are other similar products with good reputation also from LiquiMoly, Stanadyne, etc.