www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Motorsports

TDI Motorsports This section is dedicated to the folks who push the TDI to the absolute limit racing. Topics should include articles about TDIs in the SCCA ProRally Series, Drag Racing, AutoCross and any other events that include TDIs.

Old January 9th, 2020, 10:08   #1
rsperson

TDI(s): 2002 Jetta
Default looking for best bank for buck VW diesel

I have a 2002 Jetta/MK4 TDI with over 360k miles. I would like to start looking for a slightly more modern Jetta Diesel to mod - not 1/4 mile but more very good handling and performance - but streetable. A good candidate for simple mods and not cost too much to start. ie: do I want a MK5 or MK6 or what. lots of mods don't fit my MK4 but cost is an issue so a very new car is out of the question.
thanks all and let the "discussion" begin
rsperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2020, 07:24   #2
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Cost goes up dramatically with anything above a MKIV. Maybe a 2005 or 2006 PD Jetta. Some of the buyback cars can be had quite cheaply as well right now.
Old January 25th, 2020, 09:30   #3
rsperson

Default doing a little more thinking....

I have access to a potentially larger pool of cars. I do occasional driving for a car broker. Most of the things he gets are more of a flipper type car. He also gets things that need just a little more work. Dealer wholesale, auctions etc. The big thing is that cars that need bodywork often get skipped - too much time to profit from a flip. Most cars are decent values, need maybe brakes, tires, alignment and real good detailing. Anyway - cars that are a little outside a flippers easy flip radar are what I am looking for. I guess a MK6 with SOME body damage or a really clean MK5 with a little work needed are when I should look for. Thinking MAYBE 150hp mod - definitely NOT over 200hp. Suspension upgrades eventually. Just is there a model that I should be on the lookout for. I really want a Jetta.

I see many mods available for MK5 and newer - not so much for a MK4. Just really need an idea for how new to I need to go.
Old January 25th, 2020, 09:32   #4
rsperson

Oh - whats a PD Jetta
Old January 25th, 2020, 12:47   #5
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

You really should do some reading here before making a move. Your old Jetta had the old style fuel pump. 2005/06 Jettas got PD (Pump Duse) for fuel, and after that 2009 on things went to common rail. Any 2009 and later can make 150 hp with a minor tune only easily.

https://malonetuning.com/ecu-tuning/...012-2014/Stock
Old January 25th, 2020, 15:51   #6
rsperson

THANKS!!! thats EXACTLY the kind off info that I was looking for. I had friends with Diesel trucks and what was good and bad. Common rail was a good thing for them as well. Sounds like 2009+ for me. Now I can start reading about those cars.
Old January 25th, 2020, 17:17   #7
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

The other ones can do that as well. My 2006 Jetta was tuned to 150 hp +/-. The later cars already start with more HP to start with so getting a little more to 150 isn't hard. My 2015 Beetle came stock with 150 HP IIRC. Maybe all the 2015's, I am not sure. But the later models have much more complicated emissions systems on them that the pre common rail ones do. Of course deleting any of this stuff is illegal and has its own problems to deal with. You need to really read up before you decide what you can and can't do and then decide what you want to do. Read up in the power forum too. Lots of info in there.